Back to HAL

geocruiser

Hi to all,

Just booked a HAL cruise. I have not been on HAL in about six years. I love Canada and New England cruises. And HAL has a great itinerary, really could not find it on another cruise line. I have never been to Newfoundland, and this cruise goes to some ports there. I have never been on Veendam and just hope that we will like her.

Lately all my cruises have been on Princess. They mostly have been on Regal and Royal Princess.

N8N11C.jpg

Ooh, I LIKE that itinerary. Thanks for posting about it!

Unfortunately, it is too close to our Sep/18 cruise and I will already be stretching the vacation days for that one. Hopefully, they'll run this itinerary again.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

This cruise was listed on a "just released" flyer on my recent cruise.

By the time I got to the Future Cruise Consultant to book it, the date and direction had changed. The original date was some time in August, heading from Boston. It had been moved to early September, sailing out of Montreal.

So, if the itinerary appeals to you, but the date doesn't, take a second look and you might be able to make this cruise work for you.

Hi to all,

Just booked a HAL cruise. I have not been on HAL in about six years. I love Canada and New England cruises. And HAL has a great itinerary, really could not find it on another cruise line. I have never been to Newfoundland, and this cruise goes to some ports there. I have never been on Veendam and just hope that we will like her.

Lately all my cruises have been on Princess. They mostly have been on Regal and Royal Princess.

N8N11C.jpg

Very cool itinerary almost circumnavigating the island of Newfoundland (without Labrador) via the Strait of Belle Isle; Enjoy!

There are actually two similar itineraries posted on the HAL website, both in August. I didn't see any for September (or any other month). Hopefully, they'll bring it back in 2019. I just cannot take time off from work in August and then all of September.

I am sorry that this cruise did not work out for you. Like you said, there are only two similar itineraries for this cruise. The one above is leaving on 8/11/18 from Boston and has one more port than the one leaving on 8/22/18.

By the time I got to the Future Cruise Consultant to book it, the date and direction had changed. The original date was some time in August, heading from Boston. It had been moved to early September, sailing out of Montreal.

So, if the itinerary appeals to you, but the date doesn't, take a second look and you might be able to make this cruise work for you.

Ruth,

This cruise leaves from Boston on 8/11/18. Was there one leaving this year too?

Just be aware of what you're going to get--an older, smaller ship without as much variety in terms of food options, entertainment, and activities. We had a great time on our Veendam cruise from Quebec to Boston a few years ago.

Just be aware of what you're going to get--an older, smaller ship without as much variety in terms of food options, entertainment, and activities. We had a great time on our Veendam cruise from Quebec to Boston a few years ago.

Thanks, I am aware of this being an older ship. As long as my AC works and the cabin is clean, I will be fine.

The oldest cruise ship that I have sailed on was Regal Empress, of Regal cruise line. I sailed on her 2001. She was 48 years old at the time. We were on a bottom deck and in the hall way you could smell the diesel fuel. What a trip that was. But we still had a great time. Their food was pretty good too. You cold tell in her day she was a grand lady!

Veendam is a well maintained, happy ship. We sailed Bermuda and New England this year. You will enjoy her.

Veendam gets really beat up on the review boards for some reason- my guess is that she's older and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of new ships like abundance of balconies and water slides. She was extremely enjoyable and a great ship for this itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Veendam had some really serious problems 5-7 years ago; I remember A/C, plumbing, and a net to keep things from falling from the dining room ceiling. I think sometimes things get fixed on the ship but not always fixed in people's minds.

Roy

Essiesmom,

WOW! Thanks for the pictures of her. We did a five night Canada New England cruise on her. On sail a way from each port they gave you Free margaritas and beer on the back of the ship by the pool between 3 and 5PM. Drunk PAX were happy PAX back then on board. The waaiters would also do a group sing in the main dinning room.

Rafinmd,

I remember reading about what you posted. I agree things get fixed on board but not in peoples minds.

Princeton12321,

Thank for the info. I am one who does not need all the bells and whistles, so I should be all right. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your cruise on her.

I know after sailing Princes's new ship for a while this will bring me back in time. I believe that I will enjoy it.

Ruth,

This cruise leaves from Boston on 8/11/18. Was there one leaving this year too?

Not that I am aware of. I signed on for next year, but not on the date I wanted, which was the date originally offered, then retracted.

Not that I am aware of. I signed on for next year, but not on the date I wanted, which was the date originally offered, then retracted.

I am lucky, the date was fine for us. I choose the 8/11 cruise over the 8/22 cruise because of more ports of call that I have not been to.

I hope to bring a piece of Labradorite back from Red Bay Labrador. If I get lucky in the form of jewelry not just the mineral!

Thanks, I am aware of this being an older ship. As long as my AC works and the cabin is clean, I will be fine.

The oldest cruise ship that I have sailed on was Regal Empress, of Regal cruise line. I sailed on her 2001. She was 48 years old at the time. We were on a bottom deck and in the hall way you could smell the diesel fuel. What a trip that was. But we still had a great time. Their food was pretty good too. You could tell in her day she was a grand lady!

I sailed on the Carnivale back in 1988. It was originally built in 1955 as the Empress of Britain and was just slightly larger than the Regal Empress. I remember the smell of diesel fuel, too. We were in an inside triple cabin--my ex and a friend with me on that cruise. Our friend took the upper berth, which meant she had to climb up a diagonal ladder over our bed. Somehow it worked out (except that my ex and I split up shortly after the cruise).

I sailed on the Carnivale back in 1988. It was originally built in 1955 as the Empress of Britain and was just slightly larger than the Regal Empress. I remember the smell of diesel fuel, too. We were in an inside triple cabin--my ex and a friend with me on that cruise. Our friend took the upper berth, which meant she had to climb up a diagonal ladder over our bed. Somehow it worked out (except that my ex and I split up shortly after the cruise).

We were in a inside cabin and as were all of our friends. One of our friend's cabin had a flood it it. They offered then to stay on board for the next cruise because of the flood. They did not because of work.

I remember lots of wood on the ship and those cheap resin chairs by the pool.

I sailed on the Carnivale New Years 1979, it was my first cruise, brings back memories.

Allan

Ruth - According to my PCC today, the itinerary-- Boston to Montreal -- will happen on August 11, 2018. We're seriously thinking about it. I hope you'll join us!

Just as an aside, he also told us that, because this was a unique itinerary, the Explore4 would not apply.

Ruth - According to my PCC today, the itinerary-- Boston to Montreal -- will happen on August 11, 2018. We're seriously thinking about it. I hope you'll join us!

Just as an aside, he also told us that, because this was a unique itinerary, the Explore4 would not apply.

That's the one that the FCC said was canceled. I'm booked on the return, but would rather do a round-trip for 22 days.

As soon as I know if I will be able to take this (should know by tomorrow), I can try to book the earlier cruise, too. Thanks for letting me know!

I won't miss Explore 4, as it is generally not worth it to me. I have to pay double fare, so if the fare increases to cover Explore 4, it really doesn't pay. Besides, at about one drink a day it's not cost-effective.

The Carnivale was my first cruise, too, I think in '88 or '89! Went from Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas. Inside cabin with twin beds. I recall all the lovely wood on the ship. Seems as if it had rather an Art Deco vibe. Don and I really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums