Bad back and Muster Drill....

If you have a bad back and can't stand for longer periods of time, do you need a Dr's excuse to sit during the Muster Drill? And where would you sit? Inside or outside? A wheelchair is not needed, it is just that standing in one place for a long period is very painful.

Thanks for any feedback...

Gwen :)

Hi there, DH has back & mobility problems and cannot stand for long periods. If our muster station is outside we go early to the muster station, check in and then request to be seated inside. Never a problem.

If the muster station is inside we go early to get a seat.

Have a great cruise.:)

Thanks for the answers. I wasn't sure how they were about something like that. This is new for me. I'm in physical therapy for it all this month and cruise the beginning of Feb. and don't want to make it worse. I have no problem walking, just standing in one place for long periods.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we sailed oasis our muster station was in the dining room...so we ended up just sitting at the tables. Found it odd bc the cruise before that we all stood outside in rows so I guess it depends on the ship too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your cabin location dictates where your muster station is. If you were in the exact same cabin for both cruises that is strange .

You can have family members only a couple of cabins apart and be in different locations for muster.

One of the first things we do when arriving in our cabin is check where the muster is so we can organise ourselves quickly for DHs needs. :)

Edited by heatherb1958

Even ships with outdoors muster locations will have a special needs muster station. When you first board, go to guest services and request to be placed on the muster list for this station. They will ask why, but no documentation is required. Usually, one companion can go to this station with you.

On my Sept Adventure cruise I talked to guest services and said I just couldn't stand with my hip. They told me to go to the dinning room. I told 3 people who were checking people off I still got a letter. If you can make it I would go early to your assigned station check-in and tell them GS gave you permission to be at the other designate area. No note is needed.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

On our b2b Liberty in Nov, our muster station was outside. I can not stand more than 15 minutes due to spinal surgery. I checked in with the crew member assigned to muster station, he scanned my sea pass and i went inside to sit down....our drill took 35 minutes due to those who were not timely! :eek:

Thanks everyone. I will go to GS first and say something. I've done 35+ muster drills with standing. Hopefully this will be the only one where I will need to sit down for it.

I hope you feel better Qwen. GS was fine when I explained it.

Have a great trip.

I've never had a problem checking in outside for the muster and then going inside to sit down. I walk with a cane so it's pretty obvious.

That's probably the only thing I miss about Princess....inside mustering. Never had an inside muster on RCL.

I've never had a problem checking in outside for the muster and then going inside to sit down. I walk with a cane so it's pretty obvious.

That's probably the only thing I miss about Princess....inside mustering. Never had an inside muster on RCL.

I actually got a few inside this year thankfully. The Anthem class has all inside muster station.

Anthem is all inside muster? That's good to know. My husband has a herniated disc and would have trouble standing in one place for 15+ minutes. If there is somewhere to sit, he will be fine. We are sailing from Cape Liberty in March, so I wondered if they would do outside muster drill if it was cold.

Anthem is all inside muster? That's good to know. My husband has a herniated disc and would have trouble standing in one place for 15+ minutes. If there is somewhere to sit, he will be fine. We are sailing from Cape Liberty in March, so I wondered if they would do outside muster drill if it was cold.

I believe all Anthem class are inside and yes they try to have in places with places to sit. I learned this when I was supposed to be on Anthem last Labor day cruise, but Matthew happened. I canceled; my leg, knee and back couldn't take it. They had a rough sail down.

I don't know about Oasis class.

Have a great cruise.

If you are in one of the dining rooms or theater you should be able to get a seat no problem, some of the other areas have limited seating, and some inside, but no seating that I know of, (Royal Esplande C1 and C2 muster stations)

Here is a list of Muster Stations on Anthem. You'll find out yours when you print your Set Sail Pass.

A1 - A2 - A3 - A4 - Royal Theater

B1 - B2 - Music Hall

B3 - Chops

B4 - Schooner Bar

C1 - C2 - Royal Esplande

C3 - Wonderland/Izumi

C4 - Bionic Bar

D1 - American Icon

D2- Silk

D3 - Vintages

D4 - Jamies

E1- E2 - 270

If you have a bad back and can't stand for longer periods of time, do you need a Dr's excuse to sit during the Muster Drill? And where would you sit? Inside or outside? A wheelchair is not needed, it is just that standing in one place for a long period is very painful.

Thanks for any feedback...

Just let them know.

• 2 months later...

OP,

I hope you enjoyed your cruise and that you are feeling better!

Just for future reference here on Cruise Critic, I have compiled a list of all muster stations on the Oasis class of ships.

A1 - A2 - Vitality At Sea Fitness Center, Deck 6

B1 - B2 - Main Theater, Deck 4

B3 - B4 - Main Theater Balcony, Deck 5

C1 - Jazz on 4, Deck 4

C2 - Blaze Nightclub (Oasis & Allure), The Attic (Harmony), Deck 4

C3 - Comedy Live (Oasis & Allure), Diamond Club (Harmony), Deck 4

C4 - On Air, Deck 5

D1 - D2 - D3 - D4 - Studio B, Deck 4

E1 - Royal Promenade, Deck 5 (Next to the Rising Tide Bar)

E2 - Royal Promenade/ Cafe Promenade, Deck 5

E3 - Royal Promenade, Deck 5/ Champagne Bar (Oasis), Champagne & Martini Bar (Allure), Bionic Bar (Harmony)

E4 - Royal Promenade/ Guest Services, Deck 5

F1 - F2 - F3 - F4 - Main Dining Room, Deck 5

G1 - G2 - G3 - G4 - AquaTheater, Deck 6

So all stations are inside, except for the AquaTheater. Many have seats, however the ones in the Fitness Center and some of the ones on the Royal Promenade do not. Others have some seating, but not enough for the capacity at that station, so it's all a matter of first-come, first-serve. The stations go in alphabetical order from forward to aft with even numbered stations on the port side and odd numbered stations on the starboard side. Therefore, if you are on the port side, you will more than likely have an even muster station, and odd if you are on the starboard. As far as I know, only exception to this is C1-4 in Entertainment Place, which can have even and odd on both sides because unlike the others, while 3 of the 4 are in the same area, they are all in different rooms (that's the only explanation I can think of). Other than this section of the ship, the muster station assignments should follow the pattern. On Oasis mine and my family's muster station was B2 in the Opal Theater, and on Allure it was F3 in the Main Dining Room. Both times we had seats. We are going on Harmony in 2 weeks from today and our muster station is D4 in Studio B, so I imagine we will be able to find seats without any issue. This was not the case last year on Liberty. Hope this helped for anyone who was wondering. We always stay in 2 cabins directly across the hall from one another, so we always have the same muster station as muster stations are determined by fire zones. Happy cruising to all!

Edited by CreativeCruiser119

Would be nice if all cruisers who keep asking where their muster station is would read your post and then print it if they are sailing on Oasis class and "need to know."

I have been checking in for years and receiving permission to sit during muster. Do not go to Guest Services, just go early and check in with crew member in charge. Another back/hip/can't stand for long periods cruiser.

Nice job

I've sailed mostly on Freedom and Voyager class ships which have both indoor and outdoor muster stations. I always hope for an indoor station because of the incredible difference in how you are treated. Let's say your muster station is in a dining room - just arrive, get your card scanned, find a seat, relax and pay attention and leave when it's over.

An outdoor muster station is a whole different story on Freedom and Voyager class. You arrive and will be led you your specific line, you MUST stand in straight lines, facing forward, don't worry, you WILL be told if you are out of line or not facing forward, NO mobile phones, NO talking, NO eating or drinking, an outdoor muster is a very intense experience. This continues until the very last of the stragglers have arrived, so perhaps around 30 minutes, by which time people around you are starting to get annoyed. Finally, the 5 minute demonstration will take place and you'll be permitted to leave.

For this reason, I always hope for an indoor muster station. Such an enormous difference!

Please, if you have trouble standing for long periods of time, request a seat or indoor muster station.

Edited by Board_Shorts

I've sailed mostly on Freedom and Voyager class ships which have both indoor and outdoor muster stations. I always hope for an indoor station because of the incredible difference in how you are treated. Let's say your muster station is in a dining room - just arrive, get your card scanned, find a seat, relax and pay attention and leave when it's over.

An outdoor muster station is a whole different story on Freedom and Voyager class. You arrive and will be led you your specific line, you MUST stand in straight lines, facing forward, don't worry, you WILL be told if you are out of line or not facing forward, NO mobile phones, NO talking, NO eating or drinking, an outdoor muster is a very intense experience. This continues until the very last of the stragglers have arrived, so perhaps around 30 minutes, by which time people around you are starting to get annoyed. Finally, the 5 minute demonstration will take place and you'll be permitted to leave.

For this reason, I always hope for an indoor muster station. Such an enormous difference!

Please, if you have trouble standing for long periods of time, request a seat or indoor muster station.

I agree. Back pain seems to run in my family, I have not yet experienced any in my 18 years of life but incorporate back exercises into my weightlifting routine just in case! If we ever brought my grandmother on a cruise, I would recommend an Oasis class ship for this reason, and book a cabin in an area that musters in an area with seating- if limited seating I would be sure to arrive early. My mother has back pains on occasion and is a bit worried about the Dunn's River Falls excursion in 2 weeks, but is taking medication and expects to be able to do it. And the timing is another thing to note about muster on Oasis class- it goes by QUICK. Just a short introduction and then a video, so you're getting the information necessary for a safe cruise in a convenient fashion. A win-win in my opinion. I won't neglect to mention, however, that dismissal from muster is one of the times when you can kind of tell that there are really 6,000+ guests onboard. Despite that, this period doesn't last long and even though Freedom and Voyager class ships have a slightly lower capacity, it would be no different and the post-muster crowds would likely be worse on those ships because of the way everyone is lined up. In this case, I definitely agree with the idea of requesting an alternate muster station, as long as you get shown at a less-crowded time where your station is so you are familiar with where to go in the unlikely event of a real emergency. This will eliminate a lot of pain and stress! After all, it's your vacation to relax!

Edited by CreativeCruiser119

Would be nice if all cruisers who keep asking where their muster station is would read your post and then print it if they are sailing on Oasis class and "need to know."

I have been checking in for years and receiving permission to sit during muster. Do not go to Guest Services, just go early and check in with crew member in charge. Another back/hip/can't stand for long periods cruiser.

Nice job

Thank you very much for the compliment. It's funny you say that because I used to be one of those people myself- just had an odd curiosity! While it is a much more convenient process on Oasis class, it can still be a bit of time to those who cannot stand for long periods of time so you have the right idea and it's good to see RC accommodating cruisers like you to make for a more enjoyable experience. Thank you again!