Pretty food is not quality food

KILLERFEET

Just back from 10 day over thanksgiving. This was my 4th Silversea sailing.

Service was exceptional from all staff Food was lackluster to disappointing at best. Presentation gets the "A"but quality "F". Tough steaks, menus redundant enough I was done by day 7.

More importantly food safety was a major concern for us. Buffet set up in La Terrazza was a food borne illness waiting to happen. No encouragement for passengers to sanitize hands be fore entering-lots never touched the hand sanitize station. Most of the areas were self serve with countless arms and sleeves in the food because the average person needed to reach back. A major reason for us to avoid at least the Spirit.

Come on Silversea perhaps passengers have just been lucky but we will never know.

Most areas of the ship appeared clean except the hallway rugs. Id like to take up a collection buy them a rug cleaner.

For 6 star image- you need to buff it up Silversea.

While I remain enchanted by the wonderful SS crew, I too find that the food and beverage quality has declined markedly, year by year.

Decent 12 year old scotches have been replaced by much inferior scotches. This decline is clear to see.

I cannot see the ingredients with which the chefs have to work, but I have no question that they are being provisioned with lesser cuts of meat, etc., than was previously the case. They do the best they can with the materials with which they have to work. But quality ingredients are essential for quality food.

I am pleased that I sailed SS when it was truly a premium, luxury line. One would image that they are saving loads of money with current fuel prices. How about investing those savings in food and beverage improvement?

Edited by Observer

We are on the Spirit right now and I do not recognise those points in the preceding posts.

On the other hand there is a remarkable degree of subjectivity in the assessment of comestibles but, from our point of view, we are finding the menus engaging, the quality of preparation outstanding and the core ingredients of a high quality.

For those worried about the buffet arrangements I would ask what reasonable measures you would suggest without removing the convenience and choice that the buffet provides. Especially as the risk of transmission of pathogens is vanishingly small. (I must cough up to the fact that Mrs TTS is a food hygiene expert and tucks into the buffet with gusto.)

Edited by Tothesunset

Writing from the Whisper. First time with Silversea, all prior experiences with Seabourn. Left Seabourn because of their smoking policy - had a smoker on the balcony next door.

The food on our cruise has been wretched, just bad. So many easy things done badly - bacon too greasy, hamburgers improperly cooked, sausage mealy and flavorless, bread stale, the penne pasta lifeless and heavy, and so on. These are no brainers. Tried Le Champagne, it was fine - faint praise for what is supposed to be epic dining. I really missed Seabourn's coffee bar.

I acknowledge that food is very subjective - I mentioned our disappointment in passing in another thread and a fellow passenger with far more cruise experience disagreed. Fair enough. There are many things about the cruise to praise, in particular, the superb crew. We have really liked the crew.

We won't be back; if the Whisper were docked next to a KFC, I'd have the chicken.

I'm with you TTS.We spent 3 weeks on the Explorer 2 months ago and the one thing I do not enjoy is the standardisation of menus and the repetitive nature of the menus.

But I can honestly say I did not have a tough steak.Always cooked as ordered,juicy,tender and flavoursome.It may be the different chefs.

As to bacon well that is very subjective.Let me say I hate the way bacon is cooked in the USA.Though more cremated than cooked.Canadian bacon a bit better but give me English bacon any day.On the Explorer breakfast buffet there was always 2 choices of bacon but as 1 was always US style only 1 choice for me.

And cello44 if you don't like greasy bacon do not go to Scotland.Whereever we went the bacon was cooked in a full pan of fat.The fried eggs no different.Was amusing to read in the paper the Scots were blaming the English for the fact that Scots have a shorter life span than the English.

It is true though that costs have been cut and even we who took our first SS cruise in 2010 so didn't experience the best days notice the decrease in quality.I have noticed it though in many areas not just cruising.

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." Doug Larson.

We were on the Spirit over Thanksgiving and have to say the food was a lot worst than I remembered. Main problem however was the ipads in my opinion. It appeared that half the time the orders weren't going through correctly - for example I had a rare burger the one day even though I had ordered it well done and the wait for food was insane some nights. It was like they were issues in the kitchen and so everything was just LONG apart from La Terressa. In fact it took until the last night to actual get the food I ordered in the main restaurant as most nights something was either missed or just plane wrong. It seemed a lot smoother last time when they didn't have ipads and just walked the orders to the kitchen but maybe its teething problems. Food wise the choices seemed very limited - Veal was on the menu every night and yet chicken was only on once in 10 days! I also found not having the "any time" offers shown on the menu made me forget about them and end up ordering things I wasn't sure on which then turned out to be horrid. Definitely didn't seem as good quality as in previous years food wise and it was a shame. Still enjoyed the trip but just wish there had been better food options - especially for a supposidly 6 star cruise (and sorry burgers in MDR menu makes me think more 4 star than 6 especially as they were better quality at the pool than in the MDR).

Writing from the Whisper. First time with Silversea, all prior experiences with Seabourn. Left Seabourn because of their smoking policy - had a smoker on the balcony next door.

The food on our cruise has been wretched, just bad. So many easy things done badly - bacon too greasy, hamburgers improperly cooked, sausage mealy and flavorless, bread stale, the penne pasta lifeless and heavy, and so on. These are no brainers. Tried Le Champagne, it was fine - faint praise for what is supposed to be epic dining. I really missed Seabourn's coffee bar.

I, too, am on the Whisper, staying on for a B2B, and I really don't understand this complaint - but then I don't eat bacon, sausages and hamburgers - maybe that's it? Cello44 admits food is subjective but his experience and mine do seem extraordinarily far apart.

The fresh 'fish of the day' each day has been outstanding, the duck ragout (which I've never been as impressed with as some posters) has been the best I've had, and my filet steak at Hot Rocks last night was of perfectly good quality. Not everything entirely suits me (I'd like more wholegrain breads for instance) but 'wretched'? Not nearly.

However, I must admit that I think the new pomegranate salad at the Pool Grill isn't nearly as good as the spinach and strawberry one was - I do miss that.

And there is a smoker on the next balcony, but I didn't snitch on him because he's only done it once that I've noticed.

I, too, am on the Whisper, staying on for a B2B, and I really don't understand this complaint - but then I don't eat bacon, sausages and hamburgers - maybe that's it?

Perhaps.

Certainly the subtle and yet ebullient flavor of the Colonel's Original Recipe would be wasted on you. ;)

Smooth sailing, cello44

If you are a cruise foodie sail Crystal the best food at sea.

There has been a wide range of personal opinions expressed/offered on this thread. What's correct and accurate? Quick answer? It depends!! Our cruising experiences are some newer and more limited compared to some going back farther in Silversea history, etc. We have only done seven cruises, starting in 2006 with Seabourn, then 2008 for Crystal. We have had three cruises with Silversea and two on Celebrity. Destinations drive our choices/decisions. We have visited 22 different countries in Europe and dined in a number of Michelin-rated dining stars. We like to eat well, but are not snobs about it.

On our one Crystal sailing, parts of the food quality/service was a little mixed at times. Not always super great as some will claim. For our 26 days earlier this year on the Silver Cloud, we had read about certain views that the food quality had seriously gone downhill with Silversea. BUT, our experience was very good and highly comparable to what we had very much enjoyed on this same Silversea ship for the Norway coast in 2010. What we have learned is that much depends on what you order, the skill/chemistry between the Executive Chef and staff on your sailing, etc. Things can vary from meal to meal and cruise to cruise, depending on your luck and timing regardless of cruise line. Over our 26 days on the Silver Cloud early this year, the variety was good and things overall worked well. There were a few hits and misses, but nothing major to keep us from booking this same ship for early February2016 to sail along the South Africa coast. In 50+ days, will do updates from our experiences on that sailing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 128,819 views for this posting.

On the shadow the food lacked variety. The quality was also very variable. I commented as such and had a long conversation with the F&B manager.

He explained that there almost no flexibility remaining for the Chef's on board everything was prescribed by Head Office.

He said that if there was something we wanted they would do their best to create it given 48 hours notice and talk to our butler who would fix it. Excellent response however the reality was very different.

Firstly had some attitude from our Butler who said that it was only his responsibility if we dined in the cabin and talk to the Maitre'D. Little irritated but what the hell I'll talk to anyone who can fix it.

Maitre D said it was not possible and the F&B manager(his boss presumably) was talking nonsense. Now I was highly irritated!

After a free and frank exchange of views we eventually agreed that a Thai meal might be possible and he would let me know once he had talked to the Chef. Heard nothing more.

Two days later arrived at MDR with another couple who were joining us for dinner to be told that our Thai meal was ready. Embarrassing moment but

fortunately they had enough for 4 and very good it was too.

So I conclude that the food and menus could be a whole lot better if flexibility was given to the Chef and some basic management implemented to ensure that they all "sing off the same Hymn sheet".

In my view the food on Seabourn is generally of better quality and the menus more varied.

adoctor,

Maybe it's because Whisper is a smaller ship, or different staff, but on Spirit the attitude was 'give us 24 hours, and if we can possibly make it for you, we'd be glad to'.

One night at dinner we were talking about the desserts we missed, so we asked the head waiter, and he said, no problem. The next night it was bananas foster and cherries jubilee all around.

If you are a cruise foodie sail Crystal the best food at sea.

Interesting comment. My good friend just got off Symphony (first Crystal cruise) and claimed the food and the line were marginal at best.

We have never had a special meal request refused. Would love to know who those crew are....!

DT, have you ever had a special request of any kind refused? No!

Never had a main course in MDR that was not covered in HEAVY sauce. Anyone else notice? Makes me wonder what is really underneath the sauce.

Gourmet hamburgers same in MDR as pool area. Better than a year ago, but nothing close to a gourmet label. Of course, this company is not shy about overstating their product. Ultra luxury????? Dream on.

I am totally baffled by the pictures as apart from some small brocoli floret some yellow ball-bearings that were smaller than the width of a peeled carrot round and an outcrop of rosemary and a single scrawny asparagus tip, the other has two ..... how lucky was that ... the proteins if any are unrecognisable!

All I can see is that someone had an accident with some brown looking ghoo Rolf Harris style. "Can you tell what it is yet?" Nothing else I recognise other than someone intended that whatever it was should "look like it's been done by a proper chef just like they do on the telly" and the portions do not constitute a meal. My dilemna would be how to cut that asparagus tip and make it last for the whole meal. Those meals wouldn't make me feel "lucky" at all .... I'd think they were taking the p**s. As the OP said "pretty food isn't quality food" and the main component of "quality" is "consistency" ie making all of your customers satisfied or delighted all of the time or as close as you can get to it. The over indulgence at trying to be too chefy is an attempted deception to overcome what seems too often to be poor quality food, exactly as the OP says.

These regular threads prove that too many poeople are dissapointed with the food. The one thing that no one should be unhappy with on this type of cruise is the food. The issue is about one thing only. Insufficient cash and no one really being bothered enough.

:(

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

DT, have you ever had a special request of any kind refused? No!

Never had a main course in MDR that was not covered in HEAVY sauce. Anyone else notice? Makes me wonder what is really underneath the sauce.

Gourmet hamburgers same in MDR as pool area. Better than a year ago, but nothing close to a gourmet label. Of course, this company is not shy about overstating their product. Ultra luxury????? Dream on.

Well I've never had a request for anything refused either. Just maybe it's how one handles the request. I've also never had food covered in sauces or gravy of any kind but then l do ask when ordering what is to be expected so l can gauge.

'Gourmet'....a fine line word that can be determined only by the guest.

We all have different opinions.....mine are quite simple which is probably why I'm always very happy when on board...who the hell wants to become stressed out on what is supposed to be chill time......just guess that some folk will never be satisfied....

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S,

Present company excepted ....;) .... it is equally true to say that some will never be dissatisfied as it is to say that some will never be satisfied. Both comments are as true or false as each other. But it misses the point.

I think it is fair to say that the people constantly reiterating that they enjoyed the food and belittling those that are disappointed I think miss the point. The product very clearly makes claims that for some are more important than it is for others and it clearly doesn't meet those claims for an many people that I don't see as having outlandish expectations.

Anyway this is a real and not manufactured issue and it will only become resolved when SS decides it's in their financial interest to do so.

Jeff

Sometimes I think the volume of the complaints around here, basically for all cruise lines, is due to its name drawing in the dissatisfied. I wonder what would happen if they changed it from Cruise Critic to Cruise Aficionado.

Sometimes I think the volume of the complaints around here, basically for all cruise lines, is due to its name drawing in the dissatisfied. I wonder what would happen if they changed it from Cruise Critic to Cruise Aficionado.

It goes to show how clueless I am, I have never given the name a second thought but now you mention it, I don't believe for a moment it has any influence on what is posted. There is I agree self-selection and the representation of all customers is not represented by the high number that choose to post to indicate dissatisfaction.

However, if you agree with my view that 95% of your customers should either say that the food that SS provide either meets or exceeds their expectations, then I obviously cannot answer for you but I'd say it doesn't seem to come anywhere close.

The very last steak meal I had on SS was ..... or should have been .... a medium steak. I ordered it medium. I always order medium on a cruise to make it simple and to allow latitude in a busy kitchen. The first came out straight away and I cut a slice and it was raw inside. I asked the waitress whether I could have a medium one, and the steak was removed and came back ... the same steak - not a fresh one .... ten minutes later and had been burned to a cinder. I asked for them to have another go and they produced another steak that was raw and still frozen in the middle. I asked for one last try and said "if it helps and the chef has a probe ... please grill it to 118 and let it rest for five minutes. This would produce medium rare. Burned to an old leather cinder again.

I gave up and as everyone else had finished their meal I went without a main course and went on to dessert and some cheese and biscuits. The waitress was upset and by coincidence she served us two months later ... but nothing she could do would convince me to order a steak again.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff,

Do you have information outside of impressions gained from message boards on the current satisfaction levels with Silversea's food? Like Flyertalker mentioned on another thread, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Anyway, I would guess Silversea cares more about getting satisfaction levels in line with, or better than, its competitors more than hitting an arbitrary number. 95% may be unreachable or it may be too low.

Mark

Jeff,

Do you have information outside of impressions gained from message boards on the current satisfaction levels with Silversea's food? Like Flyertalker mentioned on another thread, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Anyway, I would guess Silversea cares more about getting satisfaction levels in line with, or better than, its competitors more than hitting an arbitrary number. 95% may be unreachable or it may be too low.

Mark

No Mark, I make no claims for geater data than you, although I would claim experience at absorbing and postioning qualitative data against the absence of quantitative. Not saying I'm right ... just done a lot of it.

It is based on my impressions from a few years ago compared to now, and what I see with my own eyes of what people say. I tend to believe most of what I read and believe pictures are undoctored and I don't think most of it gives the impression of a product food-wise where most would be satisfied. It is also based on friends that still try, and by listening carefully to those that are satisfied and "what they actually say". If I had to guess I'd say that on a scale of 1 to 5 (the scale we left them with) it is considerably lower than 95% which would rate 3 and above ie met or exceeded "what I expected". .

As you know, we worked with SS amongst others ..... I've written about "satisfaction" measurement extensively before ... and the 95% figure is based on what we discussed specifically then and what excellent companies tended to set as a target falling under which they take action. 5% allows for those people you can never please however hard you try, and for the odd service lapse, when you are genuinely attempting to reach as close to 100% as humanly possible. Keep in mind it measures those people who have said that you have either just met what they expected and those whose expectations you exceeded. The 5% therefore represents those who were disssapointed.

Many companies with the advent of agggressive social media feel the 95% figure is too low and risky for premium brands as 5% of people can cause havoc to reputation through social media. 100% remains impossible in practice ... but many now aim for 97% or 98% and pay their senior management on those figures.

Anyway ... you asked me to explain ... I have. I don't intend to pursue and argument or debate about what level of satisfaction is right as you are of course entitled to a completely different view based on your own knowledge and experience.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff