Thoughts on nonstop flights to Galveston for RCCL cruises

ChicagoBound

I was down in Galveston a few weeks ago (not for a cruise), and I happened to swing past the airport there. It's about 1.5 miles from the cruiseport (probably a five minute ride on a shuttle bus). It's small but big enough to handle commercial flights.

It got me thinking given how much of a pain it is to get from either of the Houston airports (George Bush Int'l and Hobby) to the Galveston cruiseport--not to mention how crazy expensive it is.

I'm wondering this of fellow Royal Caribbean cruisers: If one of the discount airlines--like Spirit or Frontier--offered nonstop flights from northern cities to Galveston, would you take them given the hassles sometimes associated with the discount airlines (i.e., paying for checked AND carry-on luggage, paying for seat assignments, paying for sodas, lack of reliability). And assuming that they flew out of secondary or tertiary airports (so for example, instead of flying out of Chicago's O'Hare or Midway airports, you'd have to fly out of Rockford or South Bend), or from Columbus flying out of Rickenbacher instead of the main airport--you get the picture--would these all be deal-breakers?

Also assume that the airfare may be cheaper flying nonstop to Galveston than flying through the Houston airports. Plus, you'd pay about $10 per person to be shuttled 1.5 miles from the Galveston airport to the cruiseport instead of 5 or 10 times that to/from the Houston airports.

Just curious if the hassles of getting to the Galveston cruiseport from the Houston airports are great enough that you'd be willing to fly nonstop to Galveston on a cheapo airline. Let me know your thoughts. Maybe I can use the feedback to start lobbying the airlines to start flying nonstop to Galveston!

You know, we looked at that for our honeymoon.....no way. We flew Southwest in to Fort Lauderdale, wouldn't have done it any other way. As far as our next cruise out of Galveston, we compared prices and rates, and we are going to drive from Indianapolis to Galveston. It's a nice way to see some areas you might never see, and it's only $26 to park our car there. Otherwise it'd be like $800 for the two of us to fly. Just not worth it when we can spend $300 to drive it round trip...even with a Jeep Renegade.

We are from California. We sailed out of Galveston in 2014 and will again in 2016. Even direct flights do not get us to the port in time (unless you take a red eye and flight overnight). We flew in to Hobby (Southwest) and stayed near the airport. We went back to Hobby in the morning to catch the RC transfers. Eastern Northern cities may find a direct flight that works but West Coast travelers will not be able to find a same day flight that works.

We have a plane and have flown to Scholes (Galveston) municiple airport several times. That airport couldn't handle a commercial jet as the longest runway is only 5,000 feet.

Actually the runways are listed at 6000 feet. According to the airport website, the airport can handle 737s, 767s and Airbus A320 variants.

... Just curious if the hassles of getting to the Galveston cruiseport from the Houston airports are great enough that you'd be willing to fly nonstop to Galveston on a cheapo airline. Let me know your thoughts. Maybe I can use the feedback to start lobbying the airlines to start flying nonstop to Galveston!

No way I would use one of the "cheapo" airlines to fly to a cruise. Not saying that Allegiant is a "cheapo" airline, but they fly non-stop from our local airport to Sanford, Florida, in other words, a similar alternative to Orlando. Problem is that when there some sort of problem, and the flight is cancelled, the next flight they have is two days away. In other words, there are very few options. I'd rather drive the extra distance and take Southwest in order to have many other options if there is a flight cancellation.

Back in the 1980's and early 90's Continental used to fly several puddle jumper flights daily from Bush Intercontinental to places like Sugar Land and Ellington Field (much closer to Galveston). It was only an extra $15.00 added to the airline ticket. We used to be able to drive a couple of miles to Hull Airport in Sugar Land to pick up visitors instead of the 90 mile round trip jaunt to IAH.

It would be nice if one of the airlines flew a commuter plane into Galveston. We rent a house every summer directly across Offats Bayou from Scholes. Saw some pretty good size planes land and take off, and lots of military jets too.

We flew into Houston Hobby the day before our cruise on the Navigator last November, before the Liberty took her place in Galveston.

We used Cool Tours to transport us from Houston Hobby to our hotel in Galveston. This worked out very well. We followed their directions and easily found the van and the driver. They do private rides, so there is no waiting. It was about $95.00 for the two of us. This is not cheap, but was cheaper than a rent-a-car and we did not have to return the rental car. It was a 45 minutes to an hour drive.

We used the cruise line bus transportation after the cruise. Customs was a mess and the busses were slow to load and leave. We had a 12:15 flight and got to the gate 20 minutes before they boarded. The slowness may have just been that day, but I would not have an early flight and use the bus.

Edited by KansasK

I'm wondering this of fellow Royal Caribbean cruisers: If one of the discount airlines--like Spirit or Frontier--offered nonstop flights from northern cities to Galveston, would you take them given the hassles sometimes associated with the discount airlines (i.e., paying for checked AND carry-on luggage, paying for seat assignments, paying for sodas, lack of reliability). And assuming that they flew out of secondary or tertiary airports (so for example, instead of flying out of Chicago's O'Hare or Midway airports, you'd have to fly out of Rockford or South Bend), or from Columbus flying out of Rickenbacher instead of the main airport--you get the picture--would these all be deal-breakers?

Also assume that the airfare may be cheaper flying nonstop to Galveston than flying through the Houston airports. Plus, you'd pay about $10 per person to be shuttled 1.5 miles from the Galveston airport to the cruiseport instead of 5 or 10 times that to/from the Houston airports.

Just curious if the hassles of getting to the Galveston cruiseport from the Houston airports are great enough that you'd be willing to fly nonstop to Galveston on a cheapo airline. Let me know your thoughts.

No--honestly, although it was a bit pricey for ground transportation to Galveston flying into IAH, I would NEVER consider flying a discount airline again.

Flew Spirit once to Orlando--horrible experience! Not only do you have the reliability issue if flights are cancelled, but the upcharges for luggage and seat assignments are outrageous. And while their airfares may appear cheaper from a base price perspective, once the extra fees get added on--there is no savings at all. As an example, I paid $220 R/T PP to Orlando from Chicago on Spirit. By the time I selected my seats, regular baggage fees and got hit with an second baggage upcharge because my bag was over 41 pounds, my round trip was over $400 each....oh, and if you are over 5'3" you'll also want to avoid Spirit unless you enjoy sitting with your knees tucked underneath your chin!:D Unless you pay a BIG premium for one of the few front row seats, there is no leg room!

Heading to Galveston from West Virginia via Pittsburgh in July 2016. Have always gone out of San Juan so there is a little bit of "unknowingness" with this port.

:)

Southwest has several flights, including non-stops from PIT to HOU.

Heading to Galveston from West Virginia via Pittsburgh in July 2016. Have always gone out of San Juan so there is a little bit of "unknowingness" with this port.

:)

If at all possible, I suggest that you fly into Houston Hobby vs IAH. Hobby is south of the city and much easier to arrive to Galveston as IAH is well north of Houston.