Chinese visas

seaworthy1

I've searched the Asia boards and it seems no one has the answer. So I thought I'd try here.

We have a Celebrity cruise booked that ends in Shanghai after leaving Seoul and Japan before that. Only one stop in China ( Shanghai the termination port).

If we go directly to the airport from the ship to fly back to the US, do we need a visa?

If we take a 4 hour Ships tour (Shanghai highlights/ with an airport drop off) will we need a visa?

Do we need a single entry Chinese visa to board the ship in Japan?

If we wanted to spend a night or two in Shanghai, does that require a visa?

We are US passport holders.

If someone suggests we contact Celebrity for information, they have not dealt with Celebrity lately.

Anyone???

I've found some non-authoritative sources that indicate you might not, but probably will. Welcome to the ever changing world of visa requirements.

From TravelChinaGuide: FAQ on 72 hour free transit policy

question1.gif 6. I plan to take a flight to Beijing for 3 days, and then take Trans-Siberian train from there to Ulan Bator in Mongolia. Am I eligible for this trip?

answer.gif Visa is required if you visit China this way. 72 hour free transit policy is for air passengers only. That is to say, you have to leave by air from the same airport. For passengers who plan to enter or leave China by train or cruise, they should apply for either Chinese transit (G type) or tourist (L type) in advance.

So that's a yes -- and you will have further research for whether you should get a G type or L type visa.

From the master thread on China TWOV (transit without visa) on Flyertalk:

"The TWOV rules apply to air travel only at this time (TWOV will reportedly be extended to cruise ship passengers soon, but as of May 2014, this has not yet been implemented)."

So -- it depends. Keep track of the changes in the TWOV rules. They may apply to cruise passengers in transit some time in the future.

You might consider joining Flyertalk just to pose your questions on that forum.

Bottom line -- more than 72 hours in China? Yes, you will need a visa. Less than 72 hours in China? As a cruise passenger right now, you will need a visa. As a cruise passenger sometime in the future? Maybe not. Keep checking.

I've also read that China visas will soon be valid for ten years instead of the current one year. Again, check authoritative sources to confirm.

I would get the China Visa and my personal view is to get a multi entry visa.

A multi entry one is not required but on our visit to just Shanghai earlier this year the ships visa company got us one just in case we needed to go to another port for any reason including health.

Keith

Why not just contact Chinese officials instead of getting third hand info that might or might not be accurate? It's one thing to get cabin advice or excrusion tips on here but when it comes to visas and official stuff like that I would go directly to the official source.

I would get the China Visa and my personal view is to get a multi entry visa.

A multi entry one is not required but on our visit to just Shanghai earlier this year the ships visa company got us one just in case we needed to go to another port for any reason including health.

Keith

I have seen some posts that you may not be able to board the ship without one. Also, as far as I can see, single entry and multiple entry cost the same so I would just get the most expansive one, may save trouble in the future.

Why not just contact Chinese officials instead of getting third hand info that might or might not be accurate? It's one thing to get cabin advice or excrusion tips on here but when it comes to visas and official stuff like that I would go directly to the official source.

I wish it were that easy. I also think a reason you can't find very good information or assistance from travel providers on this front is the difficuty communicating with Chinese officials. In the US the application must be submitted and picked up in PERSON at a consulate (mine is two states away) so you have to either go yourself or find someone you trust with your travel documents, that is dependable to get it accomplished timely. I have written the consulate and NEVER received an answer, and currently some links on their page are not even legible (is all in computer code).

Hence why I am searching for information myself. VERY hard to find answers or advice regarding this.

I've found some non-authoritative sources that indicate you might not, but probably will. Welcome to the ever changing world of visa requirements.. . .

As a cruise passenger right now, you will need a visa. As a cruise passenger sometime in the future? Maybe not. Keep checking.

I've also read that China visas will soon be valid for ten years instead of the current one year. . . . .

Good to know, I will keep an eye out for any change.

You will need a Chinese visa as many have posted above...regardless of how long you plan on staying in Shanghai...also consider a multi-entry since there is no difference in cost...I believe China is now offering a 10 year visa...so might be a good option if you ever plan to return (you never know).

I am using a company called My China Visa to get our visa's for our cruise and post-cruise land trip for this March (Singapore-Shanghai)..a very easy and reputable company to work with...

(213) 383-3011...you can google where the office is that should handle residents in your state...I'm using the Los Angeles office.

Why don't you just use a visa service company?

We used Zierer Visa Service in 2009...excellent service, no hassle.

You MUST have a visa to enter China. Visas are not granted at the border.

Just FYI, Zierer no longer exists as a corporate entity. It was absorbed by CIBT. You can find that company at cibtvisas.com

We recently used Generations Visa. I mailed our passports, documents, & money ~ received everything back with our Visas with no problems in less than 3 weeks. genvisa dot com

PS ~ Our tour guide warned us as did our day guide in Shanghai "Shanghai is not the REAL Chinese."

He repeated, several times while we were walking to The Bund area ~ "Remember, this is NOT THE REAL CHINESE." We all agreed. Wish we could have seen Xian instead!!

Edited by CupKayke

We recently used Generations Visa. I mailed our passports, documents, & money ~ received everything back with our Visas with no problems in less than 3 weeks. genvisa dot com

PS ~ Our tour guide warned us as did our day guide in Shanghai "Shanghai is not the REAL Chinese."

He repeated, several times while we were walking to The Bund area ~ "Remember, this is NOT THE REAL CHINESE." We all agreed. Wish we could have seen Xian instead!!

We were in both Shanghai & Xi'an...really not much different in the main tourist area (JMHO)..crazy traffic was the same just on a smaller scale..we were only there two nights ..long enough to see the Terracotta Warrior's..but we did go to an art school which was amazing.

Personally we love Shanghai and excited to go back again in March.

Regardless of where you are you have to leave the city if you want to see the "Real Chinese".

We did a three week land tour with four day river cruise through Vantage in September 2012. Loved China and the people. We went all over the country.

Shanghai, Beijing and the large cities are not what most of China is like, but I would differ, they are China. China has its first world modern cities and then it has its third world country side. Once China virtually opened up to the free market system (although controlled by the families of the party loyalists), about one-fourth of the people live in relatively modern, first world conditions. The other three-fourths live in the still developing third world.

We saw women hand washing their clothes in the river on or Yangzee river cruise. We saw houses where wood burning was their source of heat.

Xian, the Great Wall, the Three Gorges, Li River and more, it is a great country to visit. I think it is silly to have to pay for a visa for one day. I don't know why X planned the cruise like that.

Don't miss the Museum in Shanghai, its great.

Thanks for the info on genvisa. The service I was going to use mychinavisa doubled their price. Genvisa has a reasonable price and will only have one FedEx charge for two visas ordered at the same time.

Zierer no longer exists as a corporate entity. It was absorbed by CIBT. You can find that company at cibtvisas.com

Thanx, Shorex...we learn from CC.

If China has 10-year visas, how does one get in after the old passport with visa has expired? Do you just bring it along?

Is there a reason for your rudeness?

I was responding to a poster who said you must have a Visa to enter China. I was correct in my response as to the instance where you can enter China without one.

I didn't understand the response you got either, as you were clearly replying to a poster who stated you must always have a visa to enter China. Your answer was correct to that poster, just as OP already got the correct answer to their question, that yes, they did need a visa in post #2. Yet, this is CC so the thread just drags on and on.

Thanks for the info on genvisa. The service I was going to use mychinavisa doubled their price. Genvisa has a reasonable price and will only have one FedEx charge for two visas ordered at the same time.

I was all set to use MyChinaVisa but have found that genvisa has a better price...Will have to call them as I'm not quite sure about how I fill out the specific question about dates....I'm arriving on a cruise ship and will spend 4 post cruise nights in Shanghai...so do I only need to give the cruise itinerary or the hotel info too ?

Also any reason why I would have to use a company in Los Angeles (mychinsvisa) is but Genvisa is back east ::confused:

Edited by Ashland

I was all set to use MyChinaVisa but have found that genvisa has a better price...Will have to call them as I'm not quite sure about how I fill out the specific question about dates....I'm arriving on a cruise ship and will spend 4 post cruise nights in Shanghai...so do I only need to give the cruise itinerary or the hotel info too ?

Also any reason why I would have to use a company in Los Angeles (mychinsvisa) is but Genvisa is back east ::confused:

I have those same questions and have sent them to GenVisa. They explained so much about how to fill in the form in the instructions; but the most detailed question they don't say much.

I have those same questions and have sent them to GenVisa. They explained so much about how to fill in the form in the instructions; but the most detailed question they don't say much.

Yes..I only got so far in filling it out but was then stumped...and assume you can't continue it at a later time as I believe it said you can't save info...so will have to start over...what a hassel. I wish all the info on their questions would have been simplier to understand and complete.

Yes..I only got so far in filling it out but was then stumped...and assume you can't continue it at a later time as I believe it said you can't save info...so will have to start over...what a hassel. I wish all the info on their questions would have been simplier to understand and complete.

You can save the info filled in on the app. I have for both our applications. You need to download the file and it works like you wan it to.