Ebola

myceejie123

Common sense seems to have got lost over this ebola scare.

1. Do not sail to the affected areas (the cruise lines have already done that).

2. Stop watching and believing the brain dead media frenzy over ebola.

Get things in perspective and get on with your lives. How many people caught swine flu/bird flu/CJD and all the other lurgies the media latch on to? Less than those who die on the roads every day due to road traffic accidents.

It's not the mortality rate that is the main concern, but the total number of people who get it. Only two people in the US have gotten Ebola without traveling to an outbreak area (note that I did not use the word "epecimic"), and both were caring from the only person who died here after visiting one of the affected areas. The flu, however, is easily spread and millions get it each year, resulting in the deaths of tens of thousands. These two diseases, and their risks, are as different as apples and oranges.

The odds of a person who isn't caring for an Ebola patient contracting Ebola are less than the odds of being hit be lightening. People who are in panic mode about this disease are severely lacking in common sense.

I don't disagree with you, but the people that are concerned about Ebola look at the mortality rate and panic. Most of us have survived the flu and therefore don't fear it even though it can and does kill under the right circumstances.

Thanks Paul. There are 13 of our family members travelling on December 14th on Breakaway and my daughter in law is nervous about this.

Tell her to leave the country AT ONCE and get onto her ship. No-one has ever caught Ebola on an American cruise ship. Two people have caught Ebola on the mainland. Therefore she's statistically at greater risk stopping at home than she is going on holiday.

The odds of a person who isn't caring for an Ebola patient contracting Ebola are less than the odds of being hit be lightening.

I think actually you're more likely to be struck by lightening twice than to catch Ebola. So as long as you haven't been struck once yet, you're OK. ;)

Couple of years ago we sat across from a family with a preschooler on a plane to puerto rico....after he'd received much tlc from the staff after being sick numerous times, one mentioned it was too bad he was so sensitive to flying....the perky mom pipes up and says....oh, it's not the plane,he's been doing this since last night!!! Eeewww......they couldn't wait to be getting on the ship for their first cruise...I was so grateful to be going to stj!!

I think it far less likely one of us will contract Ebola while traveling to/from Caribbean cruises than some of us can get caught up in the madness. I have little patience these days for the nonsense that accompanies 'an abundance of caution'. I would rather not take another cruise right now than risk being put through the wringer because someone on my plane may have a cold and a fever. Next thing you know, the plane is pulled to the side and the circus begins. I'd rather skip that chapter and will therefore give up the cruise. Having been on about 100, I probably am less eager than some other folks.

People will lie on the health questionnaire, just like they have for years about GI illnesses.

If the cruise lines changed their documentation requirement to passports only, what would they do for the multitude of people who have already booked their cruises based on DL/BC? I don't foresee this happening.

Many countries don't even stamp passports anymore, so that's not a foolproof way to screen people either.

So, the cruise lines ask questions, look for symptoms, and that is about all they can do, realistically.

And to put things into perspective, 43 people who had contact with the infected man in Dallas have been cleared, including the woman who shared a bedroom with him and cared for him while he was sweating and had diarrhea without taking any hazmat precautions.

I only brought up the passport thing because it would look like another layer of "intensity". If I remember, most of those West African countries require a visa for even a vacation stay. The visa would be in the passport. Easy to spot. But, again, just another layer in the dog-and-pony show...

Thanks Paul. There are 13 of our family members travelling on December 14th on Breakaway and my daughter in law is nervous about this.

Newbie cruiser here, and sorry to ask.

I'm "germ phobic" , and hate it when people cough in their hands instead of in the crook of their arm. Especially if I'm behind them in the queue for breakfast/lunch buffet line. :eek: Then these people transfer their bacteria on to their hands to the buffet serving utensils. Or, how about those people who pick up food on their plate with their hands whilst still taking food in the buffet line, and then using the serving utensils again? :eek:

Is it proper for me to correct the offenders? So, any suggestions how do it in a nice way?

I'm not too concerned yet about contracting Ebola on a cruise, but more concerned about contracting more common shipborne Norvo Virus.

Thank you, and apologies for asking.

Newbie cruiser here, and sorry to ask.

I'm "germ phobic" , and hate it when people cough in their hands instead of in the crook of their arm. Especially if I'm behind them in the queue for breakfast/lunch buffet line. :eek: Then these people transfer their bacteria on to their hands to the buffet serving utensils. Or, how about those people who pick up food on their plate with their hands whilst still taking food in the buffet line, and then using the serving utensils again? :eek:

Is it proper for me to correct the offenders? So, any suggestions how do it in a nice way?

I'm not too concerned yet about contracting Ebola on a cruise, but more concerned about contracting more common shipborne Norvo Virus.

Thank you, and apologies for asking.

I am the same way! As I said in an earlier post, I am a germa phobe, also, and brought several bottles of hand sanitizer on my last cruise because of fear of the Noro virus. I, too, get upset with thoughtless, careless individuals that don't think about infection control. I do not fear the Ebola virus--at this point--because I know how hard it is to actually catch. We all just need to keep a level head and practice good infection control matters. There are other virus' out there that you are more prone to get on a cruise ship, with that many people in a closed environment.

No i asked the capt of the ncl breakaway during the qa portion, all crew members from all african nations were removed and sent on vacation untill the us calms down in there fears.

While he may have said that to be somewhat "PC", there are really few crew on any lines from Africa, with the exception of South Africa, and a very few from Egypt. Even that cruise line hater Jim Walker states that he has not heard of any crew from West Africa, anywhere in the industry.

I am the same way! As I said in an earlier post, I am a germa phobe, also, and brought several bottles of hand sanitizer on my last cruise because of fear of the Noro virus. I, too, get upset with thoughtless, careless individuals that don't think about infection control. I do not fear the Ebola virus--at this point--because I know how hard it is to actually catch. We all just need to keep a level head and practice good infection control matters. There are other virus' out there that you are more prone to get on a cruise ship, with that many people in a closed environment.

Any suggestions how to politely tell those people to cough in the crook of their arm instead of their hands? Especially those in the buffet queue? I don't want to sound offensive but I also don't want to have their virus/bacteria transferred to me. :eek:

I bring my own bottles of hand sanitizer, and avail myself of shipboard offers of hand sanitizer before I dine.

See a therapist when you get home because you dont know what happens in the galley and you dont know what trucks or warehouse your food is in before it gets onboard but i can guarantee its not kosher

I'm Buddhist . Should I care if the food is Kosher? :p

So, do you have any suggestions how to politely tell those people to cough in the crook of their arm instead of their hands? Especially those in the buffet queue? I don't want to sound offensive but I also don't want to have their virus/bacteria transferred to me.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

this is from Carnival-

....As part of our screening process, guests are asked to disclose if they have visited or traveled through countries with a US CDC Level 3 Travel Warning (any of the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and/or Guinea). Guests must also disclose if within 21 days of their cruise departure date they have been in contact with, or helped care for someone known or suspected to have the Ebola virus, or is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Ebola. Any individual who answers positively will be denied boarding....

To me, this seems really stupid. Do you think anyone will answer affirmatively when they're being told that they will be denied boarding?

Scott & Karen

So, do you have any suggestions how to politely tell those people to cough in the crook of their arm instead of their hands?

I would probably turn around, say something like Oh no, and leave!

I don't like the buffets on ships (except on Oceania where they serve you in the buffet), but when I eat there, I take food from the back on which - hopefully - nobody has coughed.

In my experience, you cannot prevent people from spreading flu and cold germs. I have sat at a breakfast table where somebody coughed all over the table and somebody else on the same ship coughed right into my face in the narrow hallway. In Asia, the people afflicted with colds wear face masks.

Edited by Floridiana