Silver Spirit Good but not Great FLL to FLL 11/25-12/5

thesailor16

Sailed FLL to FLL over Thanksgiving for a little get away. It was my 25th wedding anniversary.

I usually sail Crystal (9 times) but they had no itinerary close to the US for this time frame so we decided to try a Silverseas ship. Our TA gave us this Eastern Caribbean itinerary which fit our purpose. We had heard a lot of great things about Silverseas and know they have as many die hard cruisers as Crystal.

The cruise had about 400 passengers out of 540 capacity.

We had a Silver Suite which, price wise, is comparable to a Crystal Veranda room but is much larger.

The décor throughout the ship is exquisite, elegant and subdued. Yet you feel comfortable in shorts for lunch and sport coat for dinner.

I liked the large rooms, the larger bathroom, and the walk in closet. The staff was most accommodating, and the beds are very comfortable. However, attention to detail was considerably lacking for a 6 star cruise line. I'll provide a few examples in the review.

It was confusing at the terminal to start. There was no organization among the hired port help as to how many people could go to the desks to register and proceed on board. We were greeted on board by one of the singers who directed us to a long line to get our room and could not answer some general questions I had. There was no one else except those manning the front desk.

Once we got to the front desk registering was a breeze. And I got my questions answered.

Making reservations at the specialty restaurants was easy and quick. However Crystal lets you make a 1 night reservation at each of the specialty restaurants online prior to the cruise. Additional nights are made when you get on board.

When we asked where we could get something to eat, we were directed to the main restaurant (MR). We waited 20 minutes for a diet coke and 45 minutes for a hamburger. My wife was so fed up with the poor service she wanted to get off the ship and forgo the cruise. We asked for the manager and Gustavo came over. He apologized and said the service would get better. We were used to being pampered on Crystal. No one directed us to the buffet in La Terazza, their Italian restaurant. I guess we were assumed to know there was also lunch being served there even as a first time cruiser on Silver Sea.

We get to the room and I asked our butler for some bottled water. He went to the in room fridge and pulled out 2 carafes with rubber tops, one with still and one (1/2 full) with sparkling. The still I assumed was tap water and the other looked like someone had drunk half of it. I wondered, did they drink it directly from the carafe? At Crystal there is bottled water in the room. I asked for bottled water and was told it would be delivered at night since he was busy.

They use a paging system for the butler. In the afternoon, assuming he has some time off, when he was paged we never received a call back. You call the front desk and they supposedly relay the message to him. Several times he said they never sent him the message or he got it 3 hours later.

Bathrobes were not delivered until the second day after we asked for them.

I liked the ability to go to the MR anytime for dinner. The drawback is that you usually get a different waiter so they don't learn your name or preferences. I think I would take the assigned seating and assigned time arrangement on Crystal over this for the familiarity of having the same area captain and waiter every night. But this is a personal preference.

The food is definitely not as good here as on Crystal. After going to Silk Road (a Nobu restaurant) on Crystal, the comparable Japanese restaurant here, Seishan has sushi that is mediocre at best. It's like something from a common strip mall sushi place, California Roll, Spicy Tuna, etc. There is also a significant extra charge for eating here while there is none at Silk Road. La Terrazza, their Italian specialty restaurant is good. However, the waiter and I had a good laugh one night when the Fresh Catch of the Day was catfish??!!

On our 25th anniversary the butler brought us a cake and some Happy Anniversary balloons..nice touch. We ate at their very upscale Le Champagne restaurant which has a charge of $30 per person but the food is well worth it. Funny though, much of the items on this menu, like caviar and foie gras, are served in Crystal’s main dining room at no extra charge. This was towards the end of the trip and the food was so good compared to the other restaurants, we would have eaten there more frequently if we had gone earlier in the trip.

The wine list is limited in choices in the $50-80 price range and for some reason several of the mid price wines on the list were not available. The prices on all the wines are very reasonable.

Here is another lack of detail. On formal night the lobster tails came without butter. We asked for drawn butter and waited 10 minutes as did several nearby tables. After reading some of the reviews I was expecting more.

The house champagne is Heidsieck Monopole which is nice. However, there is no opportunity to pay a little extra for a better glass such as Veuve. You have to buy a bottle.

Overall we had a great time. The weather was great, ship was relaxing, and service was generally good. There are a lot of tradeoffs between the 2, supposedly, top cruise lines: much bigger rooms and a smaller ship for a similar price on Silversea versus much better food and personal service on Crystal.

Would I sail Silversea again? Yes, but only if the cruise dates and itinerary could not be accommodated by Crystal. And I know there are people who love Silversea and would do just the opposite which is great. Its all about personal preferences.

Thank you for your balanced review. Some of the things that you mention are pet peeves of mine as well. I definitely agree about Seishan--average sushi and definitely not worth the upcharge.

We were given the explanation that they are trying to be more eco-friendly by giving you the carafes of water instead of bottles. I don't buy that. I think it is to save money. And having one that was 1/2 full on your arrival sounds like a lack of attention by the butler, as does the lack of robes. They should have been there when you arrived.

Actually a lot of the issues sound like not so good butler issues to me. Obviously you don't get to pick the butler, and they should all be properly trained and give consistent service. But it sounds like you got a dud. Not a great impression for a first cruise on this line.

Interesting review.

We will embark upon our first Silversea cruise on 6th January after being faithful Crystal cruisers for many years. With the new AI policy on Crystal we have become disenchanted with the line so decided to try another.

We'll see how it goes but maybe it will be time to take a complete break from cruising altogether!

Mary

Interesting review.

We will embark upon our first Silversea cruise on 6th January after being faithful Crystal cruisers for many years. With the new AI policy on Crystal we have become disenchanted with the line so decided to try another.

We'll see how it goes but maybe it will be time to take a complete break from cruising altogether!

Mary

The biggest difference is the size. We too were long time Crystal devotees and after finding SS, don't know why I would go back to Crystal. Enjoying one line over the other doesn't make either truly bad. We just love the outdoor spaces on SS along with their youthful entertainment. I'm not into ball room and production shows and like the opportunity to dance in the evening in a party atmosphere. Something I never found on Crystal. One thing every one totes about Crystal is the incredible Philippine crew members. On SS, they work every where on the ship and hold positions on all levels.

Sailed FLL to FLL over Thanksgiving for a little get away. It was my 25th wedding anniversary.

I usually sail Crystal (9 times) but they had no itinerary close to the US for this time frame so we decided to try a Silverseas ship. Our TA gave us this Eastern Caribbean itinerary which fit our purpose. We had heard a lot of great things about Silverseas and know they have as many die hard cruisers as Crystal.

The cruise had about 400 passengers out of 540 capacity.

We had a Silver Suite which, price wise, is comparable to a Crystal Veranda room but is much larger.

The décor throughout the ship is exquisite, elegant and subdued. Yet you feel comfortable in shorts for lunch and sport coat for dinner.

I liked the large rooms, the larger bathroom, and the walk in closet. The staff was most accommodating, and the beds are very comfortable. However, attention to detail was considerably lacking for a 6 star cruise line. I'll provide a few examples in the review.

It was confusing at the terminal to start. There was no organization among the hired port help as to how many people could go to the desks to register and proceed on board. We were greeted on board by one of the singers who directed us to a long line to get our room and could not answer some general questions I had. There was no one else except those manning the front desk.

Once we got to the front desk registering was a breeze. And I got my questions answered.

Making reservations at the specialty restaurants was easy and quick. However Crystal lets you make a 1 night reservation at each of the specialty restaurants online prior to the cruise. Additional nights are made when you get on board.

When we asked where we could get something to eat, we were directed to the main restaurant (MR). We waited 20 minutes for a diet coke and 45 minutes for a hamburger. My wife was so fed up with the poor service she wanted to get off the ship and forgo the cruise. We asked for the manager and Gustavo came over. He apologized and said the service would get better. We were used to being pampered on Crystal. No one directed us to the buffet in La Terazza, their Italian restaurant. I guess we were assumed to know there was also lunch being served there even as a first time cruiser on Silver Sea.

We get to the room and I asked our butler for some bottled water. He went to the in room fridge and pulled out 2 carafes with rubber tops, one with still and one (1/2 full) with sparkling. The still I assumed was tap water and the other looked like someone had drunk half of it. I wondered, did they drink it directly from the carafe? At Crystal there is bottled water in the room. I asked for bottled water and was told it would be delivered at night since he was busy.

They use a paging system for the butler. In the afternoon, assuming he has some time off, when he was paged we never received a call back. You call the front desk and they supposedly relay the message to him. Several times he said they never sent him the message or he got it 3 hours later.

Bathrobes were not delivered until the second day after we asked for them.

I liked the ability to go to the MR anytime for dinner. The drawback is that you usually get a different waiter so they don't learn your name or preferences. I think I would take the assigned seating and assigned time arrangement on Crystal over this for the familiarity of having the same area captain and waiter every night. But this is a personal preference.

The food is definitely not as good here as on Crystal. After going to Silk Road (a Nobu restaurant) on Crystal, the comparable Japanese restaurant here, Seishan has sushi that is mediocre at best. It's like something from a common strip mall sushi place, California Roll, Spicy Tuna, etc. There is also a significant extra charge for eating here while there is none at Silk Road. La Terrazza, their Italian specialty restaurant is good. However, the waiter and I had a good laugh one night when the Fresh Catch of the Day was catfish??!!

On our 25th anniversary the butler brought us a cake and some Happy Anniversary balloons..nice touch. We ate at their very upscale Le Champagne restaurant which has a charge of $30 per person but the food is well worth it. Funny though, much of the items on this menu, like caviar and foie gras, are served in Crystal’s main dining room at no extra charge. This was towards the end of the trip and the food was so good compared to the other restaurants, we would have eaten there more frequently if we had gone earlier in the trip.

The wine list is limited in choices in the $50-80 price range and for some reason several of the mid price wines on the list were not available. The prices on all the wines are very reasonable.

Here is another lack of detail. On formal night the lobster tails came without butter. We asked for drawn butter and waited 10 minutes as did several nearby tables. After reading some of the reviews I was expecting more.

The house champagne is Heidsieck Monopole which is nice. However, there is no opportunity to pay a little extra for a better glass such as Veuve. You have to buy a bottle.

Overall we had a great time. The weather was great, ship was relaxing, and service was generally good. There are a lot of tradeoffs between the 2, supposedly, top cruise lines: much bigger rooms and a smaller ship for a similar price on Silversea versus much better food and personal service on Crystal.

Would I sail Silversea again? Yes, but only if the cruise dates and itinerary could not be accommodated by Crystal. And I know there are people who love Silversea and would do just the opposite which is great. Its all about personal preferences.

Thanks for taking the time to write and to share your review.

In the end, the most important opinion is your own and to me it's important to figure out which cruise line(s) work best for you.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

Hi Sailor16, thanks for taking the time to share your well written & balanced review.

We prefer sparkling water and do not like (SS change about two years ago--believe like Rachel, mentions above instead of bottles of sparkling water in your suites your have carafes of water -was done as a cost saving measure) the carafes that SS offers either in suite or in the restaurant venues. To mitigate this cost saving H20 policy, prior to boarding we fill out our guest information form (on line) and request for San Pelligrino (two bottles per day) for our suite. In the restaurant venues (La Terraza or the Restaurant) when we sit down, and when asked if we would like still or sparkling (knowing that they pre fill the carafe's with sparkling water (no telling if it is fresh or flat) we always ask for San Pelligrino (meaning the wait staff brings a new bottle of San Pelligrino and opens it for us). Therefore, you can have sparkling water in suite and in the restaurant venue--but u have to request it.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

I pre-ordered still bottled water prior to my sailing by mentioning my needs on the on line guest registration forms. They contacted me regarding my brand preference. Once on board, I found exactly what I ordered in my cabin.

In the dining venues, I always asked for bottled and received it without any issue.

On the jogging track, deck 10, there is a cooler with bottled water.

I react to too much chlorination and therefore can't drink the purified water.

SS will do everything they can to accommodate anyone's needs. They just need to be aware of it.

I also appreciate you taking the time to post your review. You can add me as another Silversea passenger who does not want water in a carafe. We ordered bottled water as well.

I do want to comment on having a different server every night. We enjoy getting to know our server and make a point to ask to be seated in his/her section each evening. We dine early so we are able to get the section we request.

It's pretty tacky imo to offer water in a carafe in the first place. There are some cost cutting measures that do more than cut costs, they cut the trust in the product.

I agree Henry,I always ask for bottled Evian water on any ship.

More importantly,imagine living in a world where broiled lobster tail is served without butter.:eek:

Edited by Mr Luxury

I agree Henry,I always ask for bottled Evian water on any ship.

More importantly,imagine living in a world where broiled lobster tail is served without butter.:eek:

We thought there was something fishy about the two carafes (one sporting a blue cap and the other red) in the fridge when we boarded the Spirit recently. So we ordered bottled water which was provided without demur. However the carafes were not removed. I am surprised that that given Silversea's previous hygiene issues they consider that open containers for storage of water is acceptable. On asking I was told that the water had been passed by the captain.

Incidentally the carafes make good vases for flowers.

Yet another example of cost cutting/ penny pinching/ nickel and diming that sadly seems to be a feature of top end cruising these days. As is the sneaky substitution of Prosecco for Champagne on occasions. Best to watch which bottle your " champagne" comes from. Unless of course you do not care about or know the difference. Don't get caught out as we did.

Oh, and talking of catches, anyone know how "catch of the day" can be catfish when one is sailing in the Caribbean? Where's the catch? I did not believe the server who told me it had been caught off the back of the ship. I think he was spinning me a line - very fishy.

Did anyone think that maybe the lack of bottled water in the fridge and in the work out room was meant as a way to help to the environment? Last time I checked all those empty bottles of water do not degrade and just end up in landfills. Not everything is a result of penny pinching

Did anyone think that maybe the lack of bottled water in the fridge and in the work out room was meant as a way to help to the environment? Last time I checked all those empty bottles of water do not degrade and just end up in landfills. Not everything is a result of penny pinching

I would bet on avarice rather than altruism being the reason.

I any event most civilised countries now recycle waste rather than use expensive landfill.

I was given "going green" as the excuse for the carafes of water, but I don't buy it. It is simply a money saving plan. The bottles are definitely recycleable.

And I have personally experienced the prosecco for champagne attempted switch on Silversea. If I want prosecco (sometimes good on a very hot day), I will order it. But don't give me that when champagne is ordered then profusely apologize for the mistake when caught.

Thank you for your balanced review. Some of the things that you mention are pet peeves of mine as well. I definitely agree about Seishan--average sushi and definitely not worth the upcharge.

We were given the explanation that they are trying to be more eco-friendly by giving you the carafes of water instead of bottles. I don't buy that. I think it is to save money. And having one that was 1/2 full on your arrival sounds like a lack of attention by the butler, as does the lack of robes. They should have been there when you arrived.

Actually a lot of the issues sound like not so good butler issues to me. Obviously you don't get to pick the butler, and they should all be properly trained and give consistent service. But it sounds like you got a dud. Not a great impression for a first cruise on this line.

Definitely a "bad" butler. Most unlike Paolo to allow such service. In my many trips on the "Spirit" I have had butlers ranging from very good to excellent. If it were to happen again talk to the Hotel Director immediately. The butler would have been removed. I hazard a guess that this particular one is no longer serving.

• 2 weeks later...

Onboard the spirit now. The holiday cruise has MANY children onboard, actually too many. I was surprise when our butler Kumar told me there is over 25 children onboard. The hot tubs have been constantly monopolized by kids. Not what I expected from Silversea. Service has been very good but it is very hard to get a chaise lounge by the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Onboard the spirit now. The holiday cruise has MANY children onboard, actually too many. I was surprise when our butler Kumar told me there is over 25 children onboard. The hot tubs have been constantly monopolized by kids. Not what I expected from Silversea. Service has been very good but it is very hard to get a chaise lounge by the pool.

I feel your pain, but this situation is entirely predictable. I have been on holiday cruises on Silversea, Regent, and Seabourn and each of them (even on a couple of cruises on Seabourn triplets) had numerous children celebrating the holidays with their parents. I love children, but not on cruises. Thus, I have avoided holiday (and generally summer) cruises. I have found cruises between Thanksgiving and Christmas to be reasonably priced (I guess people do not like to travel then) and blessedly child-free. The kids are presumably in school. :)

So sorry to hear that news. Though I must confess, it is a holiday cruise, so children are to be expected, even on Silversea. Our friends who were on last year at this time said there were about 20 children onboard the holiday cruise...that is a lot for Silversea. Anyway, sorry to hear about the hot tub situation, but given what you said you are probably better off not in it anyway!

We got off the Spirit on Dec. 23 in FLL and had a great cruise. The ship seemed almost full, and service was excellent for the most part. They really had a wonderful team onboard between Jorge as the MDR manager, Ramon as head chef, Marcello as F&B manager, a great pool bar staff, and fantastic cruise director. We thought the ship was beautifully decorated for the holidays as well...garlands and gingerbread houses everywhere.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Next time,bring a bolster bar and drop it in the hot tub! Ala Caddy Shack!