Is this itinerary safe???

Slpray

I just booked our family tickets from

Kansas City to FLL with layover in DFW. The layover at DFW is an hour and 10 minutes. We'll arrive at 1045PM the day BEFORE our cruise. Do you think this leaves enough time for missed flights, etc etc to get us there for a 5 PM departure the following day?

When do they stop boarding the ship? We are sailing RC Allure. I figure worse case, we'd have to get in early the next day (missed flight etc) and go directly to the ship from the airport.

Edited by Slpray

Yes it leaves enough time. I did a similar itinerary last week - but with only a 45 minute connection at DFW. Due to issues we missed our connection but we still made it with plenty of time the next day. If you miss that flight to FLL, in addition to the morning flights to FLL, there's also multiple flights to MIA that would get you there in time (including one later that evening).

Curious

You've already booked the flights. Why would you ask these questions now when it's too late?

Shouldn't you have asked these questions before you booked and paid?

I have until 10PM tonight to cancel at no charge. It was a great deal, so I got it last night and am researching now. WAY under what I budgeted for the 5 of us.

I just booked our family tickets from

Kansas City to FLL with layover in DFW. The layover at DFW is an hour and 10 minutes. We'll arrive at 1045PM the day BEFORE our cruise. Do you think this leaves enough time for missed flights, etc etc to get us there for a 5 PM departure the following day?

When do they stop boarding the ship? We are sailing RC Allure. I figure worse case, we'd have to get in early the next day (missed flight etc) and go directly to the ship from the airport.

IMHO, it's common for one to be concerned AFTER booking flights.

It's done; just don't think about it.:rolleyes:

BTW, how many weeks/months do you have (to worry) 'til your cruise vacation?:)

For me, an hour and 10 mins is never enough time unless there are satisfactory backup options.

You don't list what time of year, if it's winter keep in mind that storms can play havoc with flights and any sort of delay can cause you to miss your connection. Given the arrival time in FLL I doubt there are any later flights that day in the event you miss it.

How many flights are there the next day that would get you to the ship on time? What airline are you on, do they have codeshare agreements with other airlines that could get you there? How many in your family? The larger the group the more difficult getting a replacement flight. What other flight options do you have?

There's is a strong chance you'll make that connection but you need to know your options if it's missed. ITA Matrix is a good resource.

DFW is known for weather related issues

If you can book earlier in the day I would ;)

You need to be at the port about 3pm for 5pm sailaway

Edited by LHT28

Thanks all!! This will be in late May. With American airlines. There is a later flight from DFW getting there at 11: 58 PM with a 2 1/2 hour layover. I could switch to that one, but IF I could make the first, I'd prefer it. On the other hand, then we'd have seats reserved for the later flight.

I would keep what you have. 70 minutes is enough time. In addition to the later flight you mentioned, there is also a 7:15 flight from DFW on Sunday morning, arriving in FLL at 11:11 am. Not only that, there are morning flights from DFW to MIA at 5:00, 6:10, and 7:10.

Another question--how mobile are you and/or will you have kids with you? DH and I both have issues that make us walk slower than we used to, and with that short of a layover if the first plane is late we would never be able to do an OJ Simpson sprint to the next gate if it isn't close by.

I'm assuming you won't have to change terminals? Otherwise, with the bus transfers, it would involve more time.

Frankly- IF this is a Fri/Sat booking, it is naive to think you are just going to get on that later

flight. These flights can be full, with no seats open for everyone else, who missed earlier flights like you. You would have the best luck of getting the first out flight the next am, since you have the "overslept" factor possible.

We do have kids, but they'll be 11,8 and 6. My older two can run, and we could carry our youngest if we had to. My husband and I are mobile and can run. This is a Saturday flight. We'd be arriving late Sat. night and ship sails Sun eve.

Honestly, I may just switch to not risk it. I'll have to think on it though as an earlier time for our family of 5 would cost about $800 more (just priced again. Make that 1200 more). I'd have no problem having to take a Sunday AM flight if we missed a flight and just go directly to the port from the airport. I just want to get there.

Edited by Slpray

I looked up the cruise lines options if I booked through them and it was the same exact flight. Still not sure what to do. Considering flying in Friday instead of Saturday, but that will be about another $1000. I have until 10 p to decide.

No bus transfers at DFW and yes the odds are there will be a change of terminals and you take the train.

Is there not something available earlier in the day.

Just asking.

You need to board the ship 90 minutes before it leaves.

Keith

No bus transfers at DFW and yes the odds are there will be a change of terminals and you take the train.

Just asking.

Keith

Thanks all! There are things for earlier, but that tacks on several hundred dollars. I have to decide whether the level of risk is worth the extra cost. The ship stops at Nassua the morning after the departure. So, worse case We fly there and meet the ship on day 2. We did buy the cruise care vacation protection, so I'll call to see if a flight to meet the ship is covered. It's a 7 night cruise.

The ship stops at Nassua the morning after the departure. So, worse case We fly there and meet the ship on day 2.
And, you all have passports to cover the documentation to fly to the Bahamas??
We did buy the cruise care vacation protection, so I'll call to see if a flight to meet the ship is covered. It's a 7 night cruise.
Read the policy yourself, as you may very well just talk with a sales rep that has no idea of the actual inclusions and exclusions of the policy. Do NOT rely on the marketing blurbs for ANYTHING - go to the actual legal docs.

Just booked the SAME itinerary for the day before. Friday, arriving at 10:45pm. Surely, this will get me to a Sunday cruise (board by 3PM) on time! It was only $550 extra total. WORTH IT!

Okay now that you are booked, monitor your reservations on AA's website constantly as, in addition to normal seasonal schedule changes, due to the merger they are changing schedules what seems like weekly if not daily. while most likely you should be notified, it's best not to rely on that notification as it won't be immediately after the change as they go them in batches.

Just asking.

Keith

In my case, I've had to come out of security and claim a bag, then recheck it for the next flight. I've flown this way twice, at DFW. A bus transfer was necessary to another terminal.

I should have just mentioned, the added time needed if you have to transfer terminals. Sorry, for not thinking. :)

In my case, I've had to come out of security and claim a bag, then recheck it for the next flight. I've flown this way twice, at DFW. A bus transfer was necessary to another terminal.

I should have just mentioned, the added time needed if you have to transfer terminals. Sorry, for not thinking. :)

Were you on separate tickets ??

We have had our bags through checked to the destination or maybe it only work if you are flying internationally (Canada)

We have done Midland to DFW to Toronto ..never saw the bags until Toronto

Was this before the Skylink was added? All the terminals at DFW are connected by train post security.