Non surge protector model?

RCmommy

7f9fb0898a43488fbbf880560ec43d6c.jpg

This is the model we had been using. I didn't realize it had surge protection until I read a thread about it some time ago. Is there a similar variety anyone has to replace this one, without surge protection?

I like this one because of the usb and sockets, plus it had the swivel which was a bonus.

Anyone have one that they would recommend?

( I posted in Carnival because that is our next cruise and I am unsure if they may have an even different set of rules?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by RCmommy

I'm not sure you'll find a direct replacement. I have one of that same Belkin model, but don't take it on a cruise. Instead, I use one of these four outlet, non-surge protected power strips.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

I have separate USB chargers - one for me with cords for my devices, one for my wife with cords for her devices, and some spare chargers and cords.

Edited by Wheatie59

i have the same outlet . it seems any like these are surge protected , i tried to find one before our last cruise , but came up empty . i just took 2 of the single usb chargers for my phone & made due with that .

pretty much anything you get with regular outlets AND usb outlets is surge protected. This is designed to make sure your USB charged device is not destroyed if there IS a power surge. I would recommend a normal power strip and cell charger vs something with built in USB chargers. Either that or get rechargeable battery packs and charge those with the power strip them recharge your phone with the battery as needed if you are worried about surging your cell phone.

pretty much anything you get with regular outlets AND usb outlets is surge protected. This is designed to make sure your USB charged device is not destroyed if there IS a power surge. I would recommend a normal power strip and cell charger vs something with built in USB chargers. Either that or get rechargeable battery packs and charge those with the power strip them recharge your phone with the battery as needed if you are worried about surging your cell phone.

USB "safety" aside, there are a number of power outlets with USB ports. I have 2 that were easy to find on Amazon. one is a Monster Power, "Outlets to Go 3 Laptop....has 2 USB ports and 3 regular power ports. I've another that has a longer cord, from Cyber Power, with only 1 power outlet and 2 USB ports. Have brought them on a couple of cruises and they worked fine.

I believe their concern is fire. What is sad is that I bought that device because of reviews on here! Lol

Edited by RCmommy

I am looking on Amazon now. I guess I will go with a regular power bar, though smaller than the variety used at home.

The USB ports are an added bonus because they don't take up as much space as say the white square plug that Apple devices use to charge with the usb. Some power chargers have a difficult time getting those squares to fit side by side. There are four of us in a cabin and everyone has a device.

My understanding of the issue is that the power on ships is much dirtier than power on land. The instructions for electronics sometimes mention not to plug electronics into the same circuit where you have big motors, because the motors generate noise on the circuit. Guess what's down in the belly of the ship? Some REALLY BIG electrical motors. The power coming to your cabin is noisy, but not so bad as to trigger a surge protector. But its enough to slowly damage the surge protector, make it get hot, and possibly make it catch fire. That's why cruise lines don't want surge protected power strips.

Further, its not necessary. Surge protectors are for protecting your doo-dads from big surges. In particular, lighting. On a ship, you're in a metal hull, floating in sea water. If lightning strikes the ship, its going right to the ocean.

ChengKP75 has a very good explanation g how surge protection works.

Land surge protection works as a lightening rod, directing surged into the ground.

Ships aren't grounded like land based buildings. They're 'grounded' differently. A circuit breaker will work onboard.

Use a simple plug splitter. We use a short extension cord with three outlets. We also have an Euro outlet splitter.

There are several Anker(?) USB multiplug devices that'll also work. onboard.

It's been a couple of years since we were on Carnival (but have been on other lines in the interim) but we have one of the devices the OP shows and have never even gotten a second look from ship security since we started using it. I guess I need to look at non-surge alternatives as well.

Edited by joepeka

Our internet has been dead for a week now, so using the phone so I won't be able to provide links, but search my posting history for descriptions about surge protectors.

Power is not dirtier on ships, but due to the nature of grounding systems on ships, the semi-conductors in surge protectors can be reverse voltaged, which can cause them to catch fire.

Pretty much anything with both power outlets and USB outlets will be surge protected. Inexpensive power strips will not be, and based on my research, most USB only units will also not be surge protected, if it has a two prong plug, despite advertising claims by the manufacturer.

Our internet has been dead for a week now, so using the phone so I won't be able to provide links, but search my posting history for descriptions about surge protectors.

Power is not dirtier on ships, but due to the nature of grounding systems on ships, the semi-conductors in surge protectors can be reverse voltaged, which can cause them to catch fire.

Pretty much anything with both power outlets and USB outlets will be surge protected. Inexpensive power strips will not be, and based on my research, most USB only units will also not be surge protected, if it has a two prong plug, despite advertising claims by the manufacturer.

I was hoping you would chime in. My terse explanation is what I took away from one of your earlier and longer descriptions. What is it about the grounding systems that causes the reverse voltage? In a land electrical service, the ground (aka "grounding conductor" which normally does not carry any current) and neutral (aka "grounded conductor" which does normally carry current) are tied together in the main service panel and are at zero voltage by virtue of being connected to a copper rod driven into the ground near the panel. Your statement implies the ground can end up at a different voltage than the hot or neutral conductor.

I was hoping you would chime in. My terse explanation is what I took away from one of your earlier and longer descriptions. What is it about the grounding systems that causes the reverse voltage? In a land electrical service, the ground (aka "grounding conductor" which normally does not carry any current) and neutral (aka "grounded conductor" which does normally carry current) are tied together in the main service panel and are at zero voltage by virtue of being connected to a copper rod driven into the ground near the panel. Your statement implies the ground can end up at a different voltage than the hot or neutral conductor.

The difference is that the neutral and ground are not connected together. If they were, you could have stray current flow in the ground, which is a steel hull in sea water, which can cause electrolysis in the hull. The ground is actually carried back to the neutral point on the generator for this reason. Voltage between neutral and hot to ground is 60 volts each, not120 and 0.

The reverse voltages are very slight and no danger to your electronics, unless there is a ground fault in the equipment, but low reverse voltages applied repeatedly can be death to the MOV's that provide the surge protection.

Edited by chengkp75

I just bought a Monster Power strip on e-bay. It has three outlets and two USB ports. No surge protector. $9.99 and free shipping.

can you provide model and type so others can buy it as well. I will need one for my upcoming trip

This is what I used on our last cruise. I purchased mine in Radio Shack, but they also sell them on Amazon. Be careful, because some are surge protested. The nice thing about it is that you can just turn it if the outlet faces the wrong way. My last cruise, on Divina, the outlets were sideways. Gives you the same versatility as the Belkin. EM

http://www.bulbhead.com/powercube-original-usb.html

This is the one that I have. This should help.

Monster Outlets To Go: Model No. Mpotg300Bkefs

Thank you, BobbyD - just ordered mine from EBay 👍🏻

I was having a terrible time finding one that wasn't a surge protector 😪

I looked. I cannot find a model number. I typed in Monster Power Strip at the e-bay site. The unit is compact and has folding plug. It is black. Good hunting.

See post 21