1st airplane travel with toddler...have a few questions

Kholland

Hi all!

My husband and I are taking our two year old (almost 3) on an airplane for the first time to catch a cruise ship. We are flying in a day early on a Southwest flight. I appreciate any parents with little ones sharing their flight experiences with me, especially if you flew Southwest Airlines. :)

1. Can I check her umbrella stroller at the gate? How does this work?

2. We are taking her car seat for taxi rides and such; should we actually use it on the airplane or check it before we board?

3. Can I take snacks through security for her to eat on the plane? (I don't mind buying unopened snacks if need be, but want to know if I can just put her favorites in a ziploc baggie in the carry-on bag).

4. Can we board first (priority boarding)? My parents are coming along too. Can they also board with us since we are all traveling together?

5. Any recommendations or tricks for popping her ears during the flight?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply!

Hi all!

My husband and I are taking our two year old (almost 3) on an airplane for the first time to catch a cruise ship. We are flying in a day early on a Southwest flight. I appreciate any parents with little ones sharing their flight experiences with me, especially if you flew Southwest Airlines. :)

2. We are taking her car seat for taxi rides and such; should we actually use it on the airplane or check it before we board?

3. Can I take snacks through security for her to eat on the plane? (I don't mind buying unopened snacks if need be, but want to know if I can just put her favorites in a ziploc baggie in the carry-on bag).

4. Can we board first (priority boarding)? My parents are coming along too. Can they also board with us since we are all traveling together?

Southwest has an open seating policy.

When you check in, you receive a boarding number. This is the order in which you board.

The numbers start with A1 and got through A60, then B1 through B60, then C1 through whatever number is last.

You should either pay for early bird check-in or be sitting at your computer at the exact 24 hour-before-your-flight instant.

If you don't, and you get a boarding number in B or C, they have family boarding for families in between A & B.

But you should be considerate and try to get your own boarding number, like everyone else.

(and your parents CANNOT board with you with family boarding. They are on their own, to follow the SW protocol)

Edited by Merion_Mom

See below for my response. You can also post this in the family cruising board. There might be more experienced people on that as it isnt specific to Royal Caribbean.

Hi all!

1. Can I check her umbrella stroller at the gate? How does this work?You can check any stroller at the gate. You just give it to the attendants there. You can go to the desk prior to boarding to get the tag for it. When you arrive at your destination they will have it sitting right outside the door of the plane for you.

2. We are taking her car seat for taxi rides and such; should we actually use it on the airplane or check it before we board? We did not get our daughter her own seat so she was supposed to be on our lap. We got lucky both ways and the third seat was not occupied. If your toddler has their own seat you can look up different types of buckle systems. I did see some that were not car seats but I dont recall the size requirements or even the names. If you bring your car seat you will need to ensure that it is FAA approved.

3. Can I take snacks through security for her to eat on the plane? (I don't mind buying unopened snacks if need be, but want to know if I can just put her favorites in a ziploc baggie in the carry-on bag). YOu should be able to bring stuff through for her, especially dry snaks. You might be able to get away with yogurts or juice if you need to. The airline website should have some info on it.

4. Can we board first (priority boarding)? My parents are coming along too. Can they also board with us since we are all traveling together? We flew Jet Blue and had assigned seats. With Southwest you get a priority based on when you check in online. I would recommend checking in exactly 24 hours before your flight, but I do believe that those traveling with toddlers board first. Not sure how they do it with your parents if they can go with you or not, but they might be able to. You might want to call Southwest about their boarding policies if nobody here has done it with toddlers before. Also you can post this on the cruising with families board.

5. Any recommendations or tricks for popping her ears during the flight? She was still taking a bottle so we used that and did not have much of an issue. If you give yours a snack that would probably work as well. maybe something like goldfish where they are small and have a few of them.

You can gate check both the stroller and car seat.

I just bought a "gate check" nylon bag at Babies R' Us for $15 that also makes a great storage bag for our car seat. As grandparents we don't use it all the time so it makes a great storage bag at home and appears it will be very useful for flying. They also had a bag for strollers.

You might consider the FAA approved restraint system while actually seated in the plane. It's much easier, compact, and cooler than using a full size car seat. It is called CARES. Make sure to practice with it at home before you fly so you know how it goes together.

I would counter check the car seat and use the CARES system. If you are going in a day early, maybe consider buying a cheap umbrella stroller once you get there.

We are also flying in two days early to FLL, in October. We are hiring a car service to pick up the DS, DIL, and two GD's and requested they provide a car seat for the two year old. Same request for hotel to port only with a larger vehicle so all of us can fit. Returning we will use ships shuttle with no car seats.

Hi all!

The car seat has to say approved for flying or they won't allow it. Sis in law just had to buy a different one before they flew SW. If you are flying far most recommend using a seat for them at that age. Also, it may be too big to store on the plane so you will want to decide before hand.

You should be able to bring stuff through for her, especially dry snaks. You might be able to get away with yogurts or juice if you need to. The airline website should have some info on it.

No yogurt. I tried that once. They took it away. (unless it is 3 ounces or less) Same with juice.

Hi all!

1. Can I check her umbrella stroller at the gate? How does this work? yes. you visit the gate attendants and get a tag.

2. We are taking her car seat for taxi rides and such; should we actually use it on the airplane or check it before we board? she should be in the car seat on the plane as well.

3. Can I take snacks through security for her to eat on the plane? (I don't mind buying unopened snacks if need be, but want to know if I can just put her favorites in a ziploc baggie in the carry-on bag). maybe. some TSA types will not permit non factory sealed items

4. Can we board first (priority boarding)? My parents are coming along too. Can they also board with us since we are all traveling together? no and no. families with small children board BETWEEN groups A and B on southwest. usually only those on the same set of tickets. or you pay the extra fee to be guaranteed A1-15(usually classified business class or similar)

bring QUIET small busy items. nothing so more annoying than a bored kid who will not shut up or one that plays the ipad at full volume.

Yes. When you get to the gate ask for a gate check tag and they'll give you one to put on or tag it for you. When you get to the end of the jetway, before stepping on the plane, you'll fold the stroller up and leave it there.

Yes. MOST car seats in the U.S. are approved for airline use. There are a few that are not. Just double check that it has the sticker on the seat. If the seat is approved but the sticker is missing they may not allow you to use it. Children are much safer in their car seat than they are in the regular plane seat. Turbulence can toss a small child around much more so than a grown adult at times. The car seat will have to be installed in the window seat as well. FAA regulations so that it does not block another passenger from exiting the row (even if that other passenger is you!)

The snacks should be sealed. I've never had a problem bringing them through for my son. We've been flying with him since he was 3 months old, multiple times per year, and we've never been prohibited. They will sometimes do an extra check, but you'll be fine. Liquids should be bought after security. They only make exceptions for infants.

With a child you can board between A and B group. Still plenty of good seats available then. Unless of course you paid for priority boarding or get A group.

5. Any recommendations or tricks for popping her ears during the flight? Give her a snack. The chewing action will help her alleviate the pressure.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

one quick thing to note about early boarding is that is for young kids usually 1 and under, maybe 2 and under but for sure not 3. At 3 they can walk down themselves with their own suitcase and are not considered little.

I suggest bringing an empty sippy cup (the toss and go) and filling with water to suck on while taking off and landing. Also, gummy snacks work great.

We never have a car seat on the plane, nor do we lug it around once we land. We make arrangements with car service/hotel service to pick us up with a seat. (our daughter is 8 now, but took her 1st flight at 4 months and has racked up more miles then most adults!) The way home the shuttle bus is large and no car seat is needed.

We used to wrap small toys/trinkets for the plane ride. if she started to get restless, we took one out. Just the opening of it took time, and then she was enamored with something she had not seen at home before. Could be a new coloring books, stickers, small candy, magic pen set, littlest pet shop or blind bag small toy. Worked like a charm and often handed out extra to kids not handling the flight as well as my daughter. :) She also knows when we are buckled we SIT. We do not walk around on the plane. I travel for work, so never wanted my kid to be "one of those" so used to over pack just in case. At about age 4, she packed her own bag and decided what she needed to keep herself entertained (even long flights overseas)

Good luck, I am sure it will go great!!

Flying with toddlers on Southwest is my area of expertise. My three year old has been on probably 20 flights total, and at least 10 on Southwest. My 6 month old has already been on two Southwest flights. You've already gotten some great advice. I'll add a few things.

1. Can I check her umbrella stroller at the gate? How does this work? Super-Duper easy. Just make sure you tell one of the Southwest agents at a counter before boarding starts that you are going to gate check the stroller and they'll give you a special luggage tag for the stroller. When you board the plane, leave the stroller right by the door right before you get on the plane. Just ask the flight attendant where to leave the stroller before you get on and he/she will tell you where to leave it. When you get off the plane, usually the stroller will be waiting for you right when you get off the plane.

2. We are taking her car seat for taxi rides and such; should we actually use it on the airplane or check it before we board? We've flown with both the CARES harness and the car seat. There are advantages to both, but now we prefer a carseat on the flight. The CARES harness is so much easier and lighter, but our son is way more comfortable in his carseat (he's used to it), and I don't need to worry that the baggage handlers are abusing the carseat. It is a pain to carry it down the aisle of the plane and install it, but whatever... first world problem. I have a folding cart I bought on Amazon for the carseat that makes it easier to roll through the airport rather than carrying.

3. Can I take snacks through security for her to eat on the plane? (I don't mind buying unopened snacks if need be, but want to know if I can just put her favorites in a ziploc baggie in the carry-on bag). Yep. You can bring snacks. Just no liquids.

4. Can we board first (priority boarding)? My parents are coming along too. Can they also board with us since we are all traveling together? You can board between the A and B groups. Two adults can board with each kid. In other words, you and your spouse can board with the kid, but your parents cannot. They are usually pretty strict about this. I've never had trouble boarding between the A and B groups and getting 3 seats together. My advice, just go way to the back of the plane, and your parents shouldn't have trouble getting seats by you. Also, you'll be by the bathroom. Also, alot of parents with kids seem to congregate near the back of the plane, so you can bond with other parents.

5. Any recommendations or tricks for popping her ears during the flight? Bring the applesauce pouches and let your kid go to town on them during takeoff and landing. Ear popping is usually worse at landing. But it never seemed to be an issue with our kids.

Flying with kids is stressful, but you'll be surprised that it's really nothing to worry about. Especially if you plan a little bit, which is seems like you are doing. Your kid is the age where he/she can understand what is going on. Maybe read some books about flying in airplanes, and talk about what is going to happen during the flight, and hype it up. "WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SOOOOO MUUUUCHH FUN IN THE AIRPLANE!!!!! Aren't you excited? I'm excited!"

Also, bring loads of entertainment. We are very strict about screen time with our kids. But, during flights we bust out the iPad and let the little one watch some disney movies. My 3 year old understands that if he doesn't behave perfectly at the airport and on the flight he won't get to watch Cars, so you better believe he is good.

Edit: I see you are from my neck of the woods. When are you flying?

Edited by trevordentist

Flying with toddlers on Southwest is my area of expertise. My three year old has been on probably 20 flights total, and at least 10 on Southwest. My 6 month old has already been on two Southwest flights. You've already gotten some great advice. I'll add a few things.

1. Can I check her umbrella stroller at the gate? How does this work? Super-Duper easy. Just make sure you tell one of the Southwest agents at a counter before boarding starts that you are going to gate check the stroller and they'll give you a special luggage tag for the stroller. When you board the plane, leave the stroller right by the door right before you get on the plane. Just ask the flight attendant where to leave the stroller before you get on and he/she will tell you where to leave it. When you get off the plane, usually the stroller will be waiting for you right when you get off the plane.

2. We are taking her car seat for taxi rides and such; should we actually use it on the airplane or check it before we board? We've flown with both the CARES harness and the car seat. There are advantages to both, but now we prefer a carseat on the flight. The CARES harness is so much easier and lighter, but our son is way more comfortable in his carseat (he's used to it), and I don't need to worry that the baggage handlers are abusing the carseat. It is a pain to carry it down the aisle of the plane and install it, but whatever... first world problem. I have a folding cart I bought on Amazon for the carseat that makes it easier to roll through the airport rather than carrying.

3. Can I take snacks through security for her to eat on the plane? (I don't mind buying unopened snacks if need be, but want to know if I can just put her favorites in a ziploc baggie in the carry-on bag). Yep. You can bring snacks. Just no liquids.

4. Can we board first (priority boarding)? My parents are coming along too. Can they also board with us since we are all traveling together? You can board between the A and B groups. Two adults can board with each kid. In other words, you and your spouse can board with the kid, but your parents cannot. They are usually pretty strict about this. I've never had trouble boarding between the A and B groups and getting 3 seats together. My advice, just go way to the back of the plane, and your parents shouldn't have trouble getting seats by you. Also, you'll be by the bathroom. Also, alot of parents with kids seem to congregate near the back of the plane, so you can bond with other parents.

5. Any recommendations or tricks for popping her ears during the flight? Bring the applesauce pouches and let your kid go to town on them during takeoff and landing. Ear popping is usually worse at landing. But it never seemed to be an issue with our kids.

Flying with kids is stressful, but you'll be surprised that it's really nothing to worry about. Especially if you plan a little bit, which is seems like you are doing. Your kid is the age where he/she can understand what is going on. Maybe read some books about flying in airplanes, and talk about what is going to happen during the flight, and hype it up. "WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SOOOOO MUUUUCHH FUN IN THE AIRPLANE!!!!! Aren't you excited? I'm excited!"

Also, bring loads of entertainment. We are very strict about screen time with our kids. But, during flights we bust out the iPad and let the little one watch some disney movies. My 3 year old understands that if he doesn't behave perfectly at the airport and on the flight he won't get to watch Cars, so you better believe he is good.

Edit: I see you are from my neck of the woods. When are you flying?

Thanks sooo much for your advice. We are flying out of BWI on July 16th to Fort Lauderdale to cruise the Allure of the Seas. It'll be my 3rd time on the Allure, but first with my toddler, so I'm sure it will be a difference experience.

Thanks sooo much for your advice. We are flying out of BWI on July 16th to Fort Lauderdale to cruise the Allure of the Seas. It'll be my 3rd time on the Allure, but first with my toddler, so I'm sure it will be a difference experience.

Cool. We are going on Oasis in September on our first cruise with kids. You'll have to come on here and post a trip report with tips on cruising on the Oasis class with the little ones.

one thing I would like to add is that don't over pack the carry on. My first couple trips with my 2.5 year old (at the time of travel) we over packed and only used a small amount of what we brought.

I would recommend a single carry on with normal carry on items and then a backpack with the entertainment items. Having too much is a real pain in the but

I have found that pipe cleaners, play dough, and the trusty tablet with headphones are some of the most used items on my flights. The longest was 16 hours long.

Most fussiness happens due to ears not popping. sippy cups and a juice help with this. also eating something that the child will have to actively chew is great too.

Something else to consider. If you plan to fly with the little one more often or even plan to have another you might want to look in to a Go Go Baby Travelmate cart.

I've used it when traveling solo with my son. His car seat straps on the cart and it becomes a stroller.

I've also used it when traveling with my hubby too. We threw our carry ons on to the stroller and pulled our son in the cart. Made moving through the airport so much easier!!

photo202_zpsy1zampjb.jpg

IMG_0052_zpsomhbvcag.jpg

If the car seat is approved, please use it on the plane. Not preaching to the OP, just something I feel strongly about. Read about the plane crash in Souix City, 1989 and that should convince anyone who is inclined to hold a child in their lap not to do it. Lap children should not be allowed on flights - everyone should have to be in a seat - including infants.

Another lesson from way to many flights - the taxi and wait to take off is variable in length so wait to give her a snack or drink until you are done with the push back and taxi. Just be ready to give them to her when you are ready to actually take off otherwise I have had the critters finish before the take off. Have a great time.

Our now teens boys loved traveling...we did what an earlier posted suggested with the small toys, but we would wrap them and put an "hour" on them so they had something to open every hour on the plane. SMALL stuff...activity book and crayons, magnetic tin with cars, Lego pack, cards, travel games. They DON'T have to be new...it was the thrill of what was next they loved. And they would always get a few books pre-trip which were put up until the adventure began. Some of my favorite memories include them with their little backpacks, trucking through the airport, and them buckling themselves in and getting all settled with their book. They were so cute and easy then!!! And always have the packet of lift-off gummy bears...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have occasion to use the Royal Tots or in room babysitting let me know how it works. We are sailing Allure in October with two and 3 1/2 year old granddaughters and would like a couple of adult nights out with their parents.

We sailed Oasis last year with our niece and her three year old. She had a fantastic time there was so much to keep her busy.

You can gate check both the stroller and car seat.

I just bought a "gate check" nylon bag at Babies R' Us for $15 that also makes a great storage bag for our car seat. As grandparents we don't use it all the time so it makes a great storage bag at home and appears it will be very useful for flying. They also had a bag for strollers.

You might consider the FAA approved restraint system while actually seated in the plane. It's much easier, compact, and cooler than using a full size car seat. It is called CARES. Make sure to practice with it at home before you fly so you know how it goes together.

I would counter check the car seat and use the CARES system. If you are going in a day early, maybe consider buying a cheap umbrella stroller once you get there.

We are also flying in two days early to FLL, in October. We are hiring a car service to pick up the DS, DIL, and two GD's and requested they provide a car seat for the two year old. Same request for hotel to port only with a larger vehicle so all of us can fit. Returning we will use ships shuttle with no car seats.

What car service are you using that provides car seats ?

When our two boys were small, we had a backpack for each one of them. We would go to the dollar store and buy cheap (quiet) toys, books, puzzles, snacks, etc. and pack them in each backpack. Once we reached cruising altitude, we allowed them to open the backpacks and those items kept them busy for most (if not all) of the flight. If the toys got broken or lost, it was okay as they were cheap. We also packed additional items in our suitcases for the return trip so they had new things to look at again. It was always fun for them to have the surprises. I hope you have a great vacation with your family.

If you have occasion to use the Royal Tots or in room babysitting let me know how it works. We are sailing Allure in October with two and 3 1/2 year old granddaughters and would like a couple of adult nights out with their parents.

We sailed Oasis last year with our niece and her three year old. She had a fantastic time there was so much to keep her busy.

We used this back in November and were a little disappointed by it. They were very accommodating, however it definitely seemed like they just tried to make sure the kids did not cry. The first night we used them we went to pick her up at like 11:30 and she was still awake. They didnt even try to put her to sleep even tho we told them to try around 9 or so. We were not that specific so I say that is on us. The next night went a little better but we picked her up earlier. They did get her to sleep in her stroller. THey did call us that night saying she was crying and they couldnt get her to stop. The reason is they did not listen to us and put her in her stroller. ONce they did that she stopped crying and we did not need to pick her up which was awesome.

The last time we used it was in the afternoon on a sea day. They pretty much just plopped her in front of the TV for the 3 hours. Needless to say we were not happy with that.

We were fortunate enough to go with my mom who ended up watching our daughter almost every other night. I would suggest that you try it out. They might have gotten better by the time that you get there. We were on the first one back to the Caribbean. Also just make sure that you give specific details as to what you want done. And make sure that you go up there once you board if you have a particular night like formal nights that you want. They can fill up fast but will open additional spots later in the cruise.