Glacier Bay or Tracey Arm

geordiebing

I really think this subject should be a sticky :)

I understand that you are coming a long way and want to make the most of your vacation. They are both interesting from different perspectives. Tracy Arm is a fjord with a Glacier at the end of it. If you have never seen one, it is quite a sight. However to really see the glacier you need to find a cruise line that offers a small boat add on where you get off the large ship and make the transit in a smaller boat - one that is capable of getting closer to the glacier.

In the US we don't have many fjords- most are in AK - your chances of seeing one in Northern Europe are far greater. However there is only one Glacier Bay. You will see over 5 glaciers there and spend 6-8 hrs. cruising the bay. So, the only cruise lines that are permitted regular access to the bay are Princess, HAL, and NCL. All three have ships that are either RT from Seattle or one ways from Vancouver BC. Cruise tours have become so popular over the past few years that there are very few ships running a RT itinerary out of Vancouver - I believe that HAL is the only one.

Are you flying here just to cruise AK, or are you going to spend several weeks of touring? I ask this because your cruise could be a means to get to the states. Many of the Polar route flights between the US and Europe stop in Anchorage to refuel before heading down do their destinations. So if you had the time, you could fly to Anchorage. Spend a few days on touring around there, and then hop a one way cruise to Vancouver BC. One ways often spend more time in the ports as they have more time and less distance to travel.

All three of the cruise lines that visit GB also offer one way cruises. Just make sure that they all offer GB on the SB portion (I know that NCL does not).

Which leaves Princess and HAL.

From Vancouver you can either continue to travel through the states (or Canada) or fly home.

Good luck on your planning, here are some websites that might help you:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com will help you decide what to do in port and pick the ports you would most like to visit

http://www.alaskatravel.com sight offers land tour packages for Denali etc. also has lots of good information about Denali National Park.

http://www.travelalaska.com the official tour website for the state.

Edited by bonvoyagie

I just wanted to mention that I will be taking a 7 Day Glacier Bay cruise with Carnival next week. It will begin in Seattle and end in Vancouver with stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. There is one day in Glacier Bay and one Sea Day. I believe Carnival offers this route at the beginning of the season in May and again in September. They also have sailings to Tracy Fjord too. I have wanted to see Glacier Bay for years so the decision was easy for me. I am sure you will have an amazing trip on either route!

Edited by HLGW60

My vote is Glacier Bay. If you want see Glaciers... go to see glacier bay. If you want to see glacier extinction... go to Tracy Arm. The Sawyer glacier used to fill Tracy Arm... today, boats need to travel 31 miles up the arm to find Sawyer. If you are cruising in May... expect ice congestion where the ships will not be able to see Sawyer.

On some cruises you can do both (HAL, Princess, and few others). Main glacier viewing is Glacier Bay, but when going North to Juneau, there is a mid-cruise transfer to a small boat to go chasing for Sawyer. Again, do not attempt this in May. There is also an all day excursion from Juneau to Tracy Arm, but this option wastes additional Juneau hours as you must retrace 50 miles of water to get back to the Tracy Arm and then another 31 miles up the arm.

9ln2wYbk6xY OMzReVZn__M

l40k_wZzVuc -0x8dcnk1TM

This same question is mentioned frequently. BOTH these areas are very worthwhile to see- I will never, make claims, like some, who state- one is "better", they are different.

With you making this mention- you can see both on some itineraries. HAL has the option, and cruises with 12 hours in port by 8am can add Adventure Bound.

Which ever one you choose, you are missing the other.

I would, instead, suggest you look over your entire itinerary choices, ports and time in ports, is just as important. What some people fail to think about- are what they are going to do in port, what tours/activities, they want to include? I'm an advocate of this being determined- before you book any cruise.

Several comments

1. Tracy Arm is frequently a Service Call. That means you don't visit the glacier, you just debark excursion passengers who go to Sawyer Glacier. I have never seen a glacier at Tracy Arm from the ship.

2. Glacier Bay is a full day cruise through GBNP.

Make sure you are comparing apples and apples. I would suggest a cruise with GB. It IS confusing.

We are looking at Alaska cruises next year and can't decide between Glacier Bay or Tracey Arm. Coming from UK we want to make the long flight worthwhile by choosing the right cruise and ship

You'll see these 4 or 5 glaciers in GB. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]