Does anyone miss the Brunch?

miched

We missed the MDR brunch on our recent Eclipse cruise but would like to mention that they did have some ice carvings, carved fruit and vegetables and a chocolate fountain in Oceanview on the last sea day.

Unfortunately, we were late, so I can´t say if there were any different food offerings.

Carole

I had never known about the brunch until our last cruise in Feb when our waiter mentioned it. We didn't go early, probably around the middle. It was lovely. Some people were leaving so we found a table. The food wad replenished and I didn't experience any rudeness. My favorite ice sculpture was the one that held the champagne bottles. We are taking our first repo cruise on the Summit in Oct New Jersey to San Juan, and with 3 at sea days it would have been nice to have one of them have the brunch.

Just sailed on the Eclipse and there was no Brunch. Was told that it has been eliminated.

Don't really miss it as I never went to it but I am sure some do.

They also are changing the activites, so they eliminated a few activity directors. Don't know what they are changing but was told that they needed to refresh some things as passengers are getting too familiar with the answers to the games and "stealing" all of the prizes. Don't know why changing the activities eliminates some directors.

🚢

We do not miss it either.

We will miss it. I did not ever notice more rudeness or crowding than the regular buffet. Except once. I was bringing 2 bananas foster back to the table, one for my husband who was suffering from an injury. Someone said, "Wow, one wasn't enough for you?" I was more surprised than offended by the comment. Most people on board ships I have been on are very polite.

I'll miss it. I guess we're lucky as we've never come across rudeness or witnessed unsanitary food practices by fellow passengers. I'm sailing with my SIL on her first cruise in December. She loved our photos of the brunch and will be crushed to find that it's been cut.

That has been our history, as well. I surely have lots of pictures and nary a person picking up food, shoving it in mouths or shoving to get morsels. Sometimes things are way overblown. In fact, in November, although there was many at the brunch, they had it so well organized that most stations never had more than a couple people getting food. Those who didn't go or didn't like it just could have stayed away; those who enjoyed something different will miss it:mad:

Mayhem does happen. I just got back to my table with my food, when they brought another couple to the table, which made it full. The lady accidentally sat in someone's seat who was getting their food, instead of the one next to it. You would have thought this poor woman, who btw spoke another language than English, commetted the biggest crime ever. She was yelled at by the returning passenger. The sad thing is the lady had no idea why this person was yelling at her..she got up visabily upset and we never saw her or her husband again at the buffet.

Wow. That's sad. Hard to believe that a guest would treat another like that over a seat.

Edited by cruisingator2

Wow. That's sad. Hard to believe that a guest would treat another like that over a seat.

My wife says "people go on vacation and forget to pack their manners"

The worst behavior comes at disembarkation where I have seen a grown man push and shove an elderly lady out of the way to get off the elevator first.

But to the original topic, we WILL miss the brunch.

I always enjoyed the brunch; however,I can appreciate many of the points made here. I was looking forward to it for our TA next week on Eclipse primarily because with 13 days it makes it even more enjoyable to have a variance in daily activities. But, we won't be lost without it. Obviously,there are plenty of places to find an enjoyable afternoon lunch--LUV the verandah suggestion above--right up our alley!

I just hope Celebrity doesn't continue to eek out the "special" things that makes us enjoy our cruise experience with them. Not totally thrilled with Canyon Ranch as the new spa management quite yet. I will withhold judgement on that front until next week, but we always do aqua class since it's introduction, and we enjoy many visits to the spa. I haven't been impressed with the transition stories thus far or the increase in pricing. We will see if warranted!

Cheers!

Well, just look how they fight over seats by the pool and theatre, didn't surprise me at all. There are rude people everywhere.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Well, just look how they fight over seats by the pool and theatre, didn't surprise me at all. There are rude people everywhere.

I don't sit by the pool, but in all my cruises on Celebrity, and there have been a few, I have never seen fighting over seats in the theatre either.

One of our favourite things about Celebrity ships are the wonderful people that we have met on board. I have said it more than once: we find the people that choose Celebrity as their ships of choice to be polite, friendly, interesting, worldly, and well-travelled, and we have enjoyed their company immensely.

I don't sit by the pool, but in all my cruises on Celebrity, and there have been a few, I have never seen fighting over seats in the theatre either.

One of our favourite things about Celebrity ships are the wonderful people that we have met on board. I have said it more than once: we find the people that choose Celebrity as their ships of choice to be polite, friendly, interesting, worldly, and well-travelled, and we have enjoyed their company immensely.

Agreed the majority of the passengers are polite, friendly, interesting, worldly and well-travelled, but unfortunately there are those few that are not and just one example was the lady that was yelling at the poor woman who sat in her chair at the grand buffet.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I too have been on many Celebrity cruises (17) and have never seen anything like those things being mentioned on this thread!

I do believe people come on here and just make stuff up for the wow factor. Unbelievable.

I too have been on many Celebrity cruises (17) and have never seen anything like those things being mentioned on this thread!

So because you personally have never seen it means that something NEVER happens? :rolleyes: I have never seen a bank robbery but that doesn't mean they don't happen.

What else have you NEVER seen so I know it too doesn't exist?

I do believe people come on here and just make stuff up for the wow factor. Unbelievable.

Yes, some people do make up outrageous posts for the wow factor but when a small number quietly and politely relate having a bad experience that generally lends credibility to the statements. I find it REALLY hard to believe that everyone who posts having seen bad behavior is simply making it up for entertainment. Especially considering I have witnessed it at the buffet, hence just one reason I did not go after one time and will not miss it.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

I'm indifferent on the brunch. I thought it looked impressive, but most of it tasted just okay.

Now here is my problem with all of this. On our most recent cruise (Silhoutte March 23rd) they tried to mimic the brunch in the ocean view cafe. Now if you have seen the normal brunch not only was it a poor effort, but talk about zoo! They had some sushi offerings, a chocolate fountain and ice carvings. I couldn't figure out why the buffet was so darn crowded until I noticed those few oddly placed items. It's just not a good venue for it, and if you have seen the normal brunch it's a disappointment.

There are lots of wonderful people on Celebrity (and other cruise line) ships...and yes there are some that feel that they paid for the cruise, everything on the ship is theirs...even a couple of chairs at the pool all day in case they want sun or shade, a reserved spot in the buffet and so on. Making it up...no...I'll give one of many examples: I have seen folks cut in front of someone in a wheelchair rather than letting them get on the elevator first...and most of us who cruise regularly could create a very long thread on what we've seen....and some of it would be WOW because it actually happened..not because we made it up.

Let's just say that most folks are nice and caring about other passengers....and leave it at MOST....and let's not suggest that others who speak of those who aren't quite as nice are making things up.

Edited by ghstudio

I miss it! It was a fun event, never crowded when we went, with good food. We aren't interested in many of the sea day activities, so it was a nice way to pass the time. One of the features that distinguished Celebrity from the competitors. Very sad that it's gone.

It must have been popular since they never widely publicized it. You always had to look closely at Celebrity Today to find the listing.

Agreed. I missed having it on my cruise on the Reflection last week. It was nice having something "extra" on the cruise that did not require an upcharge. These "free" extras are getting fewer and fewer.

In my experience, the brunch buffets were not any more crowded than an average day in the Oceanview cafe and I did not see people behaving badly getting the food.

Didn't know of the brunch on my March 2013 cruise, but went there on August 2013 but without being hungry, so just for "looking" around.

It was really very very nice and looked amazing. Therefor we planned to head for the brunch on our March 22nd cruise this year.

When we asked the Maitre'd of Blu about it she told us that there won't be any more brunches in the future - because "someone got sick on an earlier cruise".

Very sad for us. :(

However, I can understand that when you have been there 3 or more times you don't recognize it as anything special.

I would like to hear more on what happend to bring Celebrity to this decision. At least they should have the chocolate fondues on seadays :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I miss it.

Just of the Solstice this morning and they had a really sad excuse for brunch in buffet one day. With shrimps, chocolate fountain and pretty much standard lunch. Sad, indeed

Same thing with no cheese in the Cellar Masters. Sad.

Yes. I miss it.

Just of the Solstice this morning and they had a really sad excuse for brunch in buffet one day. With shrimps, chocolate fountain and pretty much standard lunch. Sad, indeed

Same thing with no cheese in the Cellar Masters. Sad.

Hi Roxette:

We will be on the Solstice on May 8th. In general, how was the ship?

How is Solstice surviving the cutbacks in general?

Was the Hot Glass Show still in production? Anything new to report?

I appreciate anything you can share, as there has not been much posted about the Solstice lately.

Thanks!

Hi Roxette:

We will be on the Solstice on May 8th. In general, how was the ship?

How is Solstice surviving the cutbacks in general?

Was the Hot Glass Show still in production? Anything new to report?

I appreciate anything you can share, as there has not been much posted about the Solstice lately.

Thanks!

Hello

The Hot Glass Show are still going strong, they had lots of shows during this cruise with a big crowd every time. Was very popular.

The main pools are in need of some paintwork, aome sofas in the buffet are a bit torn. Otherwise the ship is in top shape. And the small issues are nothing else than small issues. If you're not looking for something bad, you will not find a lot.

The staff were among the best I have ever experienced. The cabin attendant, the waiters, the sommeliers, the bartenders, all of them were super firendly and really made the trip.

They know you by name on day three. All of them. It is amazing.

I'm not really a theatre kind of guy, but many of the guests were a bit dissapointed with the shows in the theatre. Although I believe it's hard for Celebrity to get guest entertainers onboard an 18 day cruise with almost only seadays that starts and ends on two different continents.

Food was as good as ever. Murano, wonderful. They had a few nights when they had discounts in the specialty restaurants, they don't make it public tough, so to speak. But their waiters walks around in the buffet and such and offers it to guests. We had 30% off in Murano on the third night.

The food in the Oceanview Cafe was the best buffet food I have ever had on a ship.

They also had quite a few activities on the lawn.

Lots of live music all around the ship all the time. From a String trio in the Ensemble lounge or Cellar Masters to the "house band" in the Grand Foyer to an accoustic trio on the pool deck. And lots of other live acts. So, if you like live music you're in for a treat.