Does anyone miss the Brunch?

miched

When we were on the Century to Hawaii last Eastertime, the brunch was a festive touch for Easter Sunday with waiters coming around with trays of mimosas or champagne. Costumed staffer as Easter bunny, beautiful displays.

A zoo, unfortunately, as others have posted. In the crush, an older guy leaned against a waiter's rack next to our table which of course collapsed, tumbling the man, dirty dishes, food, crockery, etc on the floor. The staff could not have been nicer to him and all was well. But just all part of the somewhat chaotic atmosphere.

But yes, it is a shame to see the old buffet display tradition go away. It was one special thing you could always find that was traditional for cruising.

That said, at a Captain's Club party we went to (we are below the Elite level), there were special carvings, flowers, wonderful stations with chefs making sushi and other special things, so it was a much more civilized buffet-style event with the smaller crowd. I hope they do at least keep some elegant brunch buffet opportunities on board.

When we were on the Century to Hawaii last Eastertime, the brunch was a festive touch for Easter Sunday with waiters coming around with trays of mimosas or champagne. Costumed staffer as Easter bunny, beautiful displays.

A zoo, unfortunately, as others have posted. In the crush, an older guy leaned against a waiter's rack next to our table which of course collapsed, tumbling the man, dirty dishes, food, crockery, etc on the floor. The staff could not have been nicer to him and all was well. But just all part of the somewhat chaotic atmosphere.

But yes, it is a shame to see the old buffet display tradition go away. It was one special thing you could always find that was traditional for cruising.

That said, at a Captain's Club party we went to (we are below the Elite level), there were special carvings, flowers, wonderful stations with chefs making sushi and other special things, so it was a much more civilized buffet-style event with the smaller crowd. I hope they do at least keep some elegant brunch buffet opportunities on board.

We were on Century Panama Canal transit in January. Also we were on B2B in Feb and March doing NZ and Australia on the Solstice. There was a brunch on all three of these cruises. We went to the first but not the other too. Just too busy!! It is a very nice presentation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I heard that the Captains Club reception has changed and is not as elaborate. I'm disappointed to hear that. I remember going on my first cruise and went to the CC reception because I was with family members who were members. I was so wowed by the presentation and it left a great impression of Celebrity!

The Captain's Club party offerings were cancelled before the brunch termination announcement. Reflection inaugural season in 2012 no longer offered our favourite lunch alternative and other ships cancelled during 2013.

The Captain's Club party offerings were cancelled before the brunch termination announcement. Reflection inaugural season in 2012 no longer offered our favourite lunch alternative and other ships cancelled during 2013.

I did not realize the Captains Club party was cancelled. We did not go there anymore, since it meant to arrive early and wait for the doors to be open for a celebration, which I think did not last longer than an hour.

In relation to the brunch, we will not miss it.

Edited by travelberlin

I did not realize the Captains Club party was cancelled. We did not go there anymore, since it meant to arrive early and wait for the doors to be open for a celebration, which I think did not last longer than an hour.

Are you saying the Captain's Club party is cancelled? This is the first I've heard of it, I did read that they are not offering the same food items that they did before, but not having it! Wow! Was this announced?

Also, won't miss the brunch.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I didn't hear that it was cancelled but that the food was more basic than it used to be.

That is what I heard. But after reading the post, I wonder where travelberlin heard that it was cancelled. Hopefully the poster just misspoke.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The Celebration was not cancelled but the food offerings have been replaced by "bites".

Please be careful when you read a post and draw a conclusion that was never intended.... You just started a cascade of misinterpretations...

The Celebration was not cancelled but the food offerings have been replaced by "bites".

Please be careful when you read a post and draw a conclusion that was never intended.... You just started a cascade of misinterpretations...

Oh wow! Lets really be careful. I did not realice that under Captains Club offerrings was meant the food only, it could have been also the music and the flowers or gifts to their most loyals cruisers :)

Long thread about the brunch going away; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016614&highlight=brunch

and the staff cut backs; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019773&highlight=brunch

On our Reflection sailing our waiter did not tell us about the brunch so we went to bingo and missed it.:D

Thanks for the links. Just got back home from our cruise and onto the forum. A lot to catch up on.

🇺🇸

We have only sailed Celebrity once and did not attend the brunch because we knew that it would be a zoo with passengers loading up plates and scrabbling to beat out the person in front of them for the last morsel of food. That's how I remember the midnight buffets being on other lines. After reading some of the replies I guess I wasn't far off. The one thing about trying a different cruise line is you don't miss what you never experienced so all of these cut backs I read about don't bother me in the least. From reading these boards it seems like Celebrity is trying to attract a new bread of passenger and like myself they won't miss what they never had. Although Princess has not made any cuts in the on board experience that have affected my vacation they did make changes to their Caribbean itineraries which lead me to Celebrity.

I'll miss it. I guess we're lucky as we've never come across rudeness or witnessed unsanitary food practices by fellow passengers. I'm sailing with my SIL on her first cruise in December. She loved our photos of the brunch and will be crushed to find that it's been cut.

Totally agree but the brunch was like a free for all BUFFET......no service BTW.............

we also went once but did not stay or even try to forge into the crowd.............

It is incredible to see people acting like pigs at this event..............they should have just put the food in troughs...............No respect for anyone else other than themselves and even that was aimed at getting THAT food before someone else got it.

Will not miss the Brunch if the do away with it on all ships..........of course others will heartily disagree..................so bring on the troughs and continue the mayhem

It was fun to go once and marvel at the wonderful presentation of the food, but it was hell to get served and not a relaxing experience at all.
Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Totally agree but the brunch was like a free for all BUFFET......no service BTW.............

we also went once but did not stay or even try to forge into the crowd.............

It is incredible to see people acting like pigs at this event..............they should have just put the food in troughs...............No respect for anyone else other than themselves and even that was aimed at getting THAT food before someone else got it.

Will not miss the Brunch if the do away with it on all ships..........of course others will heartily disagree..................so bring on the troughs and continue the mayhem

The brunch I attended was nothing like this, not that I saw anyway but I was there quite early, maybe that made a difference

Yes I too loved the look of the MDR lunch buffet and the smaller one at the Captains Club reception, but lets face it they were feeding frenzies shouting Noro.

I appreciated the plates of very tasty nibbles being passed around at the CC reception in a more hygienic manner more than the free for all germ ridden mini buffet that it used to be.

As for the Mdr brunch, I do not need that amount of food presented to me, pretty though it may be, at the end of an all you can eat cruise filled with excellent food every day.

These may be cost cutting measures but they are also measures that cut down on the opportunity for the spread of Noro etc.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

The brunch I attended was nothing like this, not that I saw anyway but I was there quite early, maybe that made a difference

I'm with you on this. Our one and only Brunch was lovely, there was no pushing and shoving, nor were the lines long. What sat at a lovely table and met two very nice couples traveling from Norway. The food was all very good.

I'm shocked by the some of the comments on this thread and can't imagine such mayhem on a Celebrity ship.

I'm with you on this. Our one and only Brunch was lovely, there was no pushing and shoving, nor were the lines long. What sat at a lovely table and met two very nice couples traveling from Norway. The food was all very good.

I'm shocked by the some of the comments on this thread and can't imagine such mayhem on a Celebrity ship.

I'm another that ha always seen nothing other than good manners at the brunch

Maybe I've been traveling on a alternate universe Celebriy Cruises

Mayhem does happen. I just got back to my table with my food, when they brought another couple to the table, which made it full. The lady accidentally sat in someone's seat who was getting their food, instead of the one next to it. You would have thought this poor woman, who btw spoke another language than English, commetted the biggest crime ever. She was yelled at by the returning passenger. The sad thing is the lady had no idea why this person was yelling at her..she got up visabily upset and we never saw her or her husband again at the buffet.