Wine Tasting at Sea disaster (Adventure of the Seas April 2017)

I've recently changed cruise line to Royal and I don't regret it with one noticeable exception, the Royal Caribbean "Wine Tasting at Sea" was a total waste of time and money.

What's described on the website as a small gathering in an informal and relax atmosphere turned out to be over 150 people pressed elbow to elbow at long tables in the Main Dining room while waiters (who knew nothing of what they were serving) quickly poured a few ounces of cheap wine into 5 glasses in front of you.

The images you see on the RCI website show a few people sitting comfortably around a table in a relaxed atmosphere. In reality, the "host" of the evening used a PA system to speak "at" the crowd and here's where the problem began. Although I'm sure he knew his wines or wouldn't have been chosen to host the event, his Indian accent was so strong, no one at our table (or the tables on either side of us) could understand more than one work in ten. This lead to confusion as to not only what he was saying, but to what wine he was speak of. The hour we spent listening to him was a total waste of our time.

The wines themselves were very sub-par. I'm not a wine geek by any means but I was hoping to learn a few basics as indicated in the Cruise Planner website but this wasn't it. I'm not sure how other RCI ships run their Wine Tasting events, but this ship blew it.

RCI..... we had a great cruise on AoS but I recommend your Senior staff sit in on this wine tasting experience and understand how you're letting your customers down.

hmm. that was never our experience. it was always a max of like 24, at tables in the DR. one glass at a time would be poured by his helpers as he spoke about them. there were also tapas to pair with each wine.

if you want nice relaxing intro, may I suggest going to Vintages and getting wine flight( it was my experience that the advertised tastings never happened as the Bar stewards wants at least 5 people showing up before he will open the bottles). or try Chef's Table where the steward and the chef come out to explain the meal and why X one was chosen to pair with it.

also any Reidel class is worth the money( if for no other reason than the set of glasses you get) assuming that is still done of course....

We have enjoyed the Lafitte wine tasting aboard ship but found it was really geared toward a novice wine drinker. We received a folder with the information that had been presented. It was a fun way to pass the time on a sea day. But, if you are knowledgeable about wine I can see that it would be disappointing.

hmm. that was never our experience. it was always a max of like 24, at tables in the DR. one glass at a time would be poured by his helpers as he spoke about them. there were also tapas to pair with each wine.

if you want nice relaxing intro, may I suggest going to Vintages and getting wine flight( it was my experience that the advertised tastings never happened as the Bar stewards wants at least 5 people showing up before he will open the bottles). or try Chef's Table where the steward and the chef come out to explain the meal and why X one was chosen to pair with it.

also any Reidel class is worth the money( if for no other reason than the set of glasses you get) assuming that is still done of course....

Thanks spook..... your experience is exactly what I was hoping for, I guess AoS just tried something different which unfortunately failed.

Looking forward to trying it a second time on Freedom of the Seas in April next year.

Joe,

Halifax Canada

Thanks spook..... your experience is exactly what I was hoping for, I guess AoS just tried something different which unfortunately failed.

Looking forward to trying it a second time on Freedom of the Seas in April next year.

Joe,

Halifax Canada

If it's offered again on Freedom, give it a try. While I enjoyed much of our cruise, I was a little disappointed with our dining room service on this cruise, I enjoyed everything else. While I've never done this activity before, I fear it is one Royal offers and then ruins it by fine tuning it to maximize profits when it becomes popular. (This happened on the all-access tours that I believe first began on the Oasis class)

Some years ago, there was a coupon in the D booklet for a wine tasting event for 2. Even though we are wine drinkers we took advantage of the free event. It was no more than 15 Pax in total and hosted by a Sommelier& assistants who took turns describing the types of samples being poured along with cheese, crackers & grapes. As I said, we' re not wine drinkers, but enjoyed the afternoon event.

Sounds like years ago when you got a C&A coupon for a free wine tasting that was also available for sale (don't recall how much but I think just about everyone had a coupon). It was in the MDR but only about 20 people showed up (DH found better things to do). You got crackers, maybe cheese as well. Probably not worth wasting an hour and I never went to another one. Would have been really unhappy if I'd paid for it.

Sounds like years ago when you got a C&A coupon for a free wine tasting that was also available for sale (don't recall how much but I think just about everyone had a coupon). It was in the MDR but only about 20 people showed up (DH found better things to do). You got crackers, maybe cheese as well. Probably not worth wasting an hour and I never went to another one. Would have been really unhappy if I'd paid for it.

Yes, in the MDR.

Yes, in the MDR.

I remember that too. I was always disappointed as it always seemed to be held at a time when we could not make it. Finally on one cruise it fit in with our schedule.... and it was the last one we ever went to. I, too , would have been unhappy if I had paid for it.

So I just looked at my Cruise Planner to see if the Wines of the World that I purchased was in the MDR. It is. Do you suggest canceling the purchase? Because the description from the OP is NOT what I would enjoy.

So I just looked at my Cruise Planner to see if the Wines of the World that I purchased was in the MDR. It is. Do you suggest canceling the purchase? Because the description from the OP is NOT what I would enjoy.

Is it on the same ship? I'd try and find someone who has done it on the same cruise as I've seen things vary from one cruise to another. I did just spend a couple of months with the OP in our roll call and a week at sea with him so I don't doubt his appraisal. If someone wants to be hyper critical of his title choice that is another story.

Is it on the same ship? I'd try and find someone who has done it on the same cruise as I've seen things vary from one cruise to another. I did just spend a couple of months with the OP in our roll call and a week at sea with him so I don't doubt his appraisal. If someone wants to be hyper critical of his title choice that is another story.

I did the Wines of the World last month on Liberty. It was in the dining room and there were maybe 15 people there.

We had an actual sommelier from Italy whose family owned a vineyard and he went to school (college) many years for his degree. He was VERY passionate about wine & winemaking. That definitely added to the experience.

We were poured that wines all at once then he described each. We also had a plate of fruits & cheeses that complimented each wine.

With this particular sommelier I felt it was worth the price. If I had someone who knew less than I did or that I could not understand it would be a huge disappointment.

First time uploading pics thru Tapatalk so hopefully it works.

492cbbcaf8aece2419db0b441eb9456e.jpg2f7261b7a0d33243c5943128f09c3045.jpg2567594cd57dc02e1f43e69c11d6dba2.jpgc79fe770bb5fdaf54f209ac951b8dce2.jpgf3100a2d7731019e1b76dff7a9077dd1.jpgfc4837367e96eaaf3fb5a53326a3b2d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celebrity does a similar wine tasting which includes a couple of whites, a couple of reds, and a sparkling. It costs around $15 but is free for Elite/Elite+ pax. The presentation is given by one of the Sommeliers, and if you don't know a lot about wine, it may be worthwhile to attend. I don't go to them anymore because it's the same ole same ole.

They also have what's called an "Around the World" wine tasting which consists of six stations from different regions around the world, each consisting of a white and a red. It costs around $20, and is well worthwhile as you get to wander around and taste 12 different wines - some good and some not so good. When you find one you like, you just hover over that station. :D

What the OP summarizes, I would definitely stay away from those types of events.

They also have what's called an "Around the World" wine tasting which consists of six stations from different regions around the world, each consisting of a white and a red. It costs around $20, and is well worthwhile as you get to wander around and taste 12 different wines - some good and some not so good. When you find one you like, you just hover over that station. :D

+1, did this (including hovering around the favorite) on Infinity.

I'm on the JoTS this August. Does someone have some experience with the Wines Around the World on the JoTS? Thanks for the review.

I've recently changed cruise line to Royal and I don't regret it with one noticeable exception, the Royal Caribbean "Wine Tasting at Sea" was a total waste of time and money.

What's described on the website as a small gathering in an informal and relax atmosphere turned out to be over 150 people pressed elbow to elbow at long tables in the Main Dining room while waiters (who knew nothing of what they were serving) quickly poured a few ounces of cheap wine into 5 glasses in front of you.

The images you see on the RCI website show a few people sitting comfortably around a table in a relaxed atmosphere. In reality, the "host" of the evening used a PA system to speak "at" the crowd and here's where the problem began. Although I'm sure he knew his wines or wouldn't have been chosen to host the event, his Indian accent was so strong, no one at our table (or the tables on either side of us) could understand more than one work in ten. This lead to confusion as to not only what he was saying, but to what wine he was speak of. The hour we spent listening to him was a total waste of our time.

The wines themselves were very sub-par. I'm not a wine geek by any means but I was hoping to learn a few basics as indicated in the Cruise Planner website but this wasn't it. I'm not sure how other RCI ships run their Wine Tasting events, but this ship blew it.

RCI..... we had a great cruise on AoS but I recommend your Senior staff sit in on this wine tasting experience and understand how you're letting your customers down.

I would have complained on board and asked for a refund.