Skype calls

transatlantic fan

I've never tried a Skype call because I've read about the lack of bandwidth. But I've found ship internet service has improved in recent years and I'd like to hear from any CC member who has tried Skype in the last year.

My home phone automatically pushes to my e-mail an audio recording of any voice message left. I've had no problem listening to those on board QM2. Perhaps not the same as Skype but still a voice message coming through clear.

I've never tried a Skype call because I've read about the lack of bandwidth. But I've found ship internet service has improved in recent years and I'd like to hear from any CC member who has tried Skype in the last year.

My home phone automatically pushes to my e-mail an audio recording of any voice message left. I've had no problem listening to those on board QM2. Perhaps not the same as Skype but still a voice message coming through clear.

Voice mail messages aren't the same as Skype. Voice mail is just a short recorded music file. Skype is an active connection that is two way.

Voice mail messages aren't the same as Skype. Voice mail is just a short recorded music file. Skype is an active connection that is two way.

Yes, much more information with Skype. I'm not 100% sure but I think they have blocked Skype on Cunard to protect the system from overload.

David.

Cunards FAQ on their website says......

"Skype and Video Calling Connections

We do not have the facilities to offer a Skype connection using our equipment, however you may be able to do so using your own device. Again, please note that this would require access to the internet which would incur a charge as detailed above. This also applies to Face Time and other such video calling facilities.

As the ship's internet signal is via satellite, this is often much slower than ashore and therefore, even using your own equipment, you may find that you are unable to make a connection for high speed facilities such as Skype."

Hope that helps.

I know a few people who were able to Skype using their own computers. Just like with the Internet though, you can't count on a connection.

The tech guy told us that it is much easier to use FaceTime (something technical - maybe about bandwidth?) on board but of course that means you and who you chat with have to have Apple products.