Passport old address

Coog

I wasn't paying attention when I received my passport a few years back and put in my address in black in the personal data section. Does it matter if the address is old? I've been told they only pay attention to the photo and name in the passport. The personal data page is if it's lost. Is that correct??

Your physical address isn't a part of the passport, and doesn't appear on the bar code or chip, if you have a chip. So, agree, don't worry about it.

Based on having a passport for 30 years, never once having our physical address being needed or asked for. And I can't remember the last year we weren't out of the US.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I just put white out on mine & changed the info

I think as long as it is valid & your photo matches it is OK

Might be different in the USA

Totally different in the US. But the bar code, or the chip info is what is important. Of course the picture has to be a reasonable resemblance.

On the other hand...don't think I would be altering a passport. It is attention you don't want to attract. There may even be laws about altering passports.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Totally different in the US. But the bar code, or the chip info is what is important. Of course the picture has to be a reasonable resemblance.

On the other hand...don't think I would be altering a passport. It is attention you don't want to attract. There may even be laws about altering passports.

well since you have to write in the information when you get the passport I wonder why it would be a problem

Now if you try to change the front page with the bar code now that WOULD be a problem

I have never had anyone look at the address page in the back

Of course anything is possible

I wasn't paying attention when I received my passport a few years back and put in my address in black in the personal data section. Does it matter if the address is old? I've been told they only pay attention to the photo and name in the passport. The personal data page is if it's lost. Is that correct??

you can always call the passport office to get the correct information

Not really for returning lost passports; the government is not going to put a reported-missing passport in the mail to a handwritten-in address should it ever turn up. Mainly the address is there as a starting point for the Feds to find your next of kin once they retrieve your passport from a foreign hotel after your death, kidnapping, or defection to join ISIS.

We didn't even fill that section in. The only issue in using our new passports is DW didn't sign hers. The agent at passport control in Amsterdam pointed it out (after we had crossed the border into Canada and gone through passport control in France without them saying anything).

I just put white out on mine & changed the info

I think as long as it is valid & your photo matches it is OK

Might be different in the USA

I wouldn't white it out. Hidden data is going to look more suspicious than out of date data, if anyone's looking.

Hand-written, unofficial information such as your address is not valid passport information, and no immigration official is going to check it. There are no home address checks for immigration anyway, so it is completely irrelevant whether the address you've written is current or not.

The personal data and emergency contact page on my US passports says, "For your protection, complete the information requested below using pencil. Please keep these entries up to date." I would not use white out on a passport, you never what some foreign official may find suspicious.

I have never witten anything in my passport, and I have never had any immigration officials in any country show any interest in that page. I truly don't see why anyone would have a problem, no matter what was or was not on that page. A passport is not proof of address, only citizenship.

Having had over 15 passports (I have a lot of 2 year variety)... I would just put a current mobile phone contact and an emergency phone (in pencil) in it and leave the old address as is.

Nobody has every asked, and the phone is good in case of a real emergency or your losing the passport as someone could contact you.