Will Princess return to Houston or Galveston?

dee66

Just wondering if Princess will return to Houston/Galveston market. Has anyone heard anything?

I have no special source, but I'd suspect that if they come back to that area it would be to Galveston not Houston. I believe they had too many problems with the ship channel being closed due to fog causing delays in arrivals and departures. But, as I said, that's just speculation on my part.

Tom

I have no special source, but I'd suspect that if they come back to that area it would be to Galveston not Houston. I believe they had too many problems with the ship channel being closed due to fog causing delays in arrivals and departures. But, as I said, that's just speculation on my part.

Tom

They won't be coming to Houston because the port authority has given up on ever using it as a cruise terminal and has started to use it for other purposes. The terminal was a first class boondoggle since Day 1. They mainly proposed it because they wanted a bond issue passed to enlarge the container port but knew it would fail if presented as that. So they bundled it in with a terminal. In fact said, three terminals.

We down here in the area wouldn't vote for it because we have enough "ugly" around with the container port and the people in Houston wouldn't vote for it because they don't want more taxes. So they promoted it as a tourism magnet bringing in lots-o-bucks to hotels, restaurants, etc.and the people in Houston would benefit from NIMBY and vote for it. They promised taxes wouldn't be raised because all the additional revenue it would generate.

NCL had ships leaving from Barber's Cut a few years ago and ceased doing it because of having to navigate the ship channel and not getting the on-board revenue they hoped. They tried again when the port dangled the same perks to them as they did Princess when the new terminal opened and they came to the same conclusion Princess did and pulled out along with them.

Princess went out from Galveston until the port authority offered them all kind of incentives to use the Houston terminal--like no charge for starters. Still, that didn't make up for the problems with having to use the ship channel. NCL tried to use the terminal and came to the same conclusion that Princess did. Just not economical.

My hope is that Princess will commence to cruise out of Galveston again. They have expanded their port which might encourage them to come back. Haven't heard any plans, though.

They won't be coming to Houston because the port authority has given up on ever using it as a cruise terminal and has started to use it for other purposes. The terminal was a first class boondoggle since Day 1. They mainly proposed it because they wanted a bond issue passed to enlarge the container port but knew it would fail if presented as that. So they bundled it in with a terminal. In fact said, three terminals. ...

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. My wife and I were on the first cruise that left out of that new facility. It was a Princess cruise that went down to 1 port in Mexico on a cruise honoring veterans. They had a small band composed of a group of students from a branch of Texas A&M from Galveston I believe it was there.The initial sailing was delayed a bit not because of weather or ship canal problems but because one of the guest on the ship passed away not long after boarding. Maybe that was an omen of what lay ahead for that facility.

Again, thanks for the explanation.

Tom

Ugh I hope not. That port was a nightmare, I still have horrible memories about a delayed return (the cruise and CB was great tho!)

It sure did bring in more $ to the hotels- from all the $ Princess paid putting us up overnight since we missed our flight.

I would love them to cruise out of Galveston. We cruised out of Houston twice and did run into the very thing that several others have complained about - fog closing the harbor significantly delaying disembarkation. But it sure would be nice to have an alternative to flying to Florida for Caribbean cruises.

Tom

The same problems in Galveston.

IMO they won't be back to either

Having tried Texas ports twice and failing, I doubt that Princess will be back to Galveston. The Carnival Cruises sailings out of Galveston generate revenue and compete with Royal Caribbean. There would have to be something that made Galveston really profitable for Princess to return.

Unfortunately that leaves us trying Royal Caribbean in the mean time, as we hate flying to a port.

Galveston is only 2 1/2 hours flight time from just about anywhere in the US which is a plus. A minus is that the airports are not close by making getting to Galveston problematic. Not even car rentals are available on Sundays.

That being said, what I would like to see is longer cruises out of Galveston going to other places rather than the Western Caribbean. which is about all a 7-day will allow. Been there, done that. At one time recently they had 10-day cruises going to the Panama Canal--I think it was Celebrity. I know that Royal or Carnival tried longer one-way ones to San Juan occasionally that went to different ports on the way but I guess it didn't pay because that option went away.

By the way, the port authority is making noises like another bond issue is on the way for more containers. Wonder how they will sell that to the NIMBY's up in Houston (lol).

Galveston is only 2 1/2 hours flight time from just about anywhere in the US which is a plus. A minus is that the airports are not close by making getting to Galveston problematic. Not even car rentals are available on Sundays.

Maybe for those who have direct flights. I don't have direct flights. It is not 2.5 hours from where I live. For me, it probably takes as long from the midwest to get to Houston as it does to the coast as I have to make connections.

Also, cruises out of Galveston and Houston had poor routes IMO (less port time or limited ports plus cost getting to Galveston) and Princess had to sell them cheap. Yes they were filled as Princess sold them so cheap to fill the ship. I doubt they made money.

With Princess making money in China and other Asian ports, I am sure more money could be made elsewhere.

The main people who want Galveston to come back are those within driving distance. Those of us who fly (with out an easy flight) are less interested.

We fly from UK and manage to get flights via Amsterdam to Houston. (Although we are talking 12-13 hours ) Compare this with two changes..Amsterdam and A.N. Other possibly Detroit or Atlanta and 15-17 hours to Fort Lauderdale.

We have travelled once with Princess out of Bayport and several times with RCCL from Galveston. The flights have been fine. First twice stayed at IAH hotel prior to Galveston transfer, then when felt more confident, hire car to Galveston for few days pre/post cruise

Fortunately travelling in March/April (Easter break) we have avoided fog- delays.

Agree a wider choice of ports would be interesting but would be delighted if Princess returned to Galveston.

Living just north of Fort Lauderdale we are certainly spoiled, however, we did a lot of our voyages while we were still living in Detroit. Back then we drove a lot during the winter cruising season and we don't regret moving full time to FL.

We did take the Emerald Princess out of Houston and enjoyed the experience. The voyage out and in through the shipping channel was without an issue, but that must have been a fluke. I agree with some of the comments regarding the surrounding area there. It was like you couldn't get to the port easily and there wasn't much infrastructure there we stayed further out.

The upside really for us was that decided to drive from FL which allowed us to spend time in New Orleans on the way back. Now how about starting a rumor that Princess is looking there for a possible port location? I know, that won't happen either.

Princess sailed out of Galveston the first part of this century leaving at the end of the 2006 season I believe. They returned later to Galveston before moving to Bayport and then finally leaving Bayport last year. I do believe they will be back at some point to Galveston. There are 40 million living in the four state area (TX, OK, AR, LA) which is a sizeable market and all within driving range of Galveston. Houston is a major US hub with direct flights to Asia, South America and Europe making Galveston even more attractive to cruise lines. I do believe that Princess will be back at some not to distant future as they expand their fleet of ships.

What all the cruise lines (CCL, RCCL et al) need to do in Galveston is to expand the cruises to more time at sea and new Caribbean ports. The same 5 ports (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Caymans and Jamaica) and 7 day cruises is getting very old.

Princess sailed out of Galveston the first part of this century leaving at the end of the 2006 season I believe. They returned later to Galveston before moving to Bayport and then finally leaving Bayport last year. I do believe they will be back at some point to Galveston. There are 40 million living in the four state area (TX, OK, AR, LA) which is a sizeable market and all within driving range of Galveston. Houston is a major US hub with direct flights to Asia, South America and Europe making Galveston even more attractive to cruise lines. I do believe that Princess will be back at some not to distant future as they expand their fleet of ships.

What all the cruise lines (CCL, RCCL et al) need to do in Galveston is to expand the cruises to more time at sea and new Caribbean ports. The same 5 ports (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Caymans and Jamaica) and 7 day cruises is getting very old.

We did a B2B out of Houston before Princess left that was the usual Belize/Roatan/Cozumel followed by a trip east scheduled to go to Key West FL, Freeport Bahamas, and Princess Cays. Weather impacted the cruise east, and we ended up going to Nassau instead of Freeport and skipped Key West.

The key is that they did try to add an eastern itinerary to the Texas port mix before leaving Houston.

And for what its worth NCL is adding New Orleans cruises in 2017 after leaving Houston.

There are 40 million living in the four state area (TX, OK, AR, LA) which is a sizeable market and all within driving range of Galveston. Houston is a major US hub with direct flights to Asia, South America and Europe making Galveston even more attractive to cruise lines. I do believe that Princess will be back at some not to distant future as they expand their fleet of ships.

This is true. Though, however, the prices on these cruises were always so low, they had a difficult time filling these ships at the same prices out of FLL. These cruises always seemed to be on a fire sale.