No code orange?

senorjim

Hum, that is interesting, I was just talking about code orange on another thread. I will find out if it is fleet wide soon. Thanks for the heads up senorjim. Its hard to think Hal would discontinue that, because I feel it has served them well doing that procedure.:confused:

Hum, that is interesting, I was just talking about code orange on another thread. I will find out if it is fleet wide soon. Thanks for the heads up senorjim. Its hard to think Hal would discontinue that, because I feel it has served them well doing that procedure.:confused:

Really? If code orange was such a good idea, why is HAL the only line to do this? Also kind of interested in knowing what data you have to support the statement that this has served HAL well.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

We were in code orange for the first 48 hours two weeks ago on the Amsterdam. Although I did notice that the coffee/tea/beverage area was self service beginning with breakfast on the first full day - i.e. less than 24 hours after we boarded. That was nice since that area always has tons of lines when it is not self service.

Maybe they have found that it wasn't beneficial.

I have my doubts the reasons for Code Orange and its effectiveness against norovirus. :rolleyes:

I'd be pleased to hear they ended it. Though I've been told repeatedly it cut down the cases, I am a skeptic. :D

Really? If code orange was such a good idea, why is HAL the only line to do this? Also kind of interested in knowing what data you have to support the statement that this has served HAL well.

I really think it served them well in that no self service generally means people take less food. People are less inhibited when they can fill their own plates and generally will take more than if someone is putting it on the plate.

By having no self service the first 48 hours they get people "used to" taking less food. I'm sure they have seen cuts in their food costs since starting this.

Goes hand in hand with eliminating trays in The Lido- people only take what they can carry and probably less inclined to go back and wait for more.

I spent many years in the food and beverage industry- it really is quite a science- especially in buffet type settings.

I have my doubts the reasons for Code Orange and its effectiveness against norovirus. :rolleyes:

I'd be pleased to hear they ended it. Though I've been told repeatedly it cut down the cases, I am a skeptic. :D

Maybe it did cut down but not as much as they hoped for the "cost". I think it's an uphill battle. I can say something about germs. Very few people are as uptight as I am about germs. I'm constantly washing my hands and not using my bare hands to touch surfaces. I've been sicker this year than I have in my whole life, that I recall anyway. The only time I get rid of a cold is so I can get another one:rolleyes:. This better stop before November.

It certainly wasn't a preventive but I think it help, at least it seemed on my limited amount of cruising but I'm no expert, I will admit that and you may well know more then me.

On some ships, during Code Orange they eliminate setting out the cheese, fruit and crackers at lunch in Lido. On some ships, during Code Orange there is no taco bar. Two days out of every seven (for seven days cruises) adds up to a lot of savings for food they eliminate serving.

So, we have this problem called norovirus. HAL tries something to mitigate, or at least minimize the problem. Experts here say it is BS. So, solutions from all the experts?

Sounds like "darned if you do, darned if you don't".

Edited by CruiserBruce

On some ships, during Code Orange they eliminate setting out the cheese, fruit and crackers at lunch in Lido. On some ships, during Code Orange there is no taco bar. Two days out of every seven (for seven days cruises) adds up to a lot of savings for food they eliminate serving.

.......but don't you think that passengers just ate other thing Sails. I love the taco bar but on the first few days of every cruise I ate other things. Certainly I never suffered or lost any weight because of the code orange and Hal didn't save any money on me because I ate less.

.......but don't you think that passengers just ate other thing Sails. I love the taco bar but on the first few days of every cruise I ate other things. Certainly I never suffered or lost any weight because of the code orange and Hal didn't save any money on me because I ate less.

Exactly. And you can't believe they are just trying to make us eat healthy, either!:D

So, we have this problem called norovirus. HAL tries something to mitigate, or at least minimize the problem. Experts here say it is BS. So, solutions from all the experts?

Sounds like "darned if you do, darned if you don't".

Back to my first "question" - If code orange really had any merit, why is HAL the only line that I am aware of that uses it?

Back to my first "question" - If code orange really had any merit, why is HAL the only line that I am aware of that uses it?

I wonder if there is any data that shows the number of outbreaks or cases per cruise line. That would indicate if HAL has been on the right track or not, I imagine.

The HAL Code Orange procedure has long been somewhat of a mystery. We know a physician who works (part time) on HAL ships and he tells us that there is evidence that Code Orange is effective. Yet, no other cruise line (of which we are aware) uses a similar procedure...including the other lines under the CCL umbrella. And anecdotally it seems like HAL still gets more then its share of Noro outbreaks...when compared to lines that have no Code Orange. We think it is an absurd program since passengers could easily pick up Noro (or other bugs) when ashore at any port. But Code Orange is usually only in effect after a embarkation port.

Hank

We usually sail on Oceania they do not have self serve in the buffet

I am not aware of many noro outbreaks on their ships

Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 yrs ..so maybe it does work

I just hope they have code orange on the Eurodam in Nov ;)

Exactly. And you can't believe they are just trying to make us eat healthy, either!:D

Now there is a concept, serve less food for two days and make it healthy food. Wow, do you think anyone goes on a cruise to lose weight.:D

Awe now I got it, there is a conspiracy going on - serve less food for two days or get norovirus, either way you will lose weight. :eek:

Perhaps some facts might be helpful.

Cruise Line Cruise Ship Sailing Dates Causative Agent

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 4/5 - 4/12 Norovirus and Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Grandeur of the Seas 4/5 - 4/12 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Grandeur of the Seas 3/28 - 4/5 Norovirus

Holland America Line ms Maasdam 3/2 - 3/28 Unknown

Holland America Line ms Veendam 2/8 - 2/22 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Caribbean Princess 1/25 - 2/1 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Explorer of the Seas 1/21 - 1/31 Norovirus

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Star 1/5 - 1/19 Norovirus