Leaving on the Prinsendam may 20 why ijmuiden

wesport

got to Ijmuiden today after a 100 dollar cab ride from Amsterdam. thought I would get here a day early. needles to say, there is nothing here. Should have spent another eve in Amsterdam. I have read Hal leaves from here to save money on the locks. Walked the town this afternoon for awhile. Didn't see one person on the street. If I had it to do over would not stay in Ijmuiden. Just my opinion.

We sailed on the Prinsendam last Fall out of Ijmuiden, and stayed in Amsterdam preecruise for three nights and took the HAL shuttle bus over to Ijmuiden the morning of the cruise. I seem to remember it was in the range of $40 per person or thereabouts.

Sorry you didn't ask on the thread beforehand, i would have replied that it looked like there was very little to do there, and the ship terminal is in the middle of no where, and that you would be better off to stay in Amsterdam!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

It will be interesting to see how much money HAL saves by not docking in Amsterdam versus how much they have to lower the cruise fares to encourage people to book a cruise like this. It is much more expensive to get to the ship and far less convinient than Amsterdam

To save time (and catch an earlier flight) we shared a taxi after our Prinsendam cruise last year. It was 92 Euros to the airport for the four of us.

However, getting to the ship from Amsterdam cost us about 5 Euros each. We took the excellent train and the decent bus. The only challenge was getting the luggage up over the dike to the port. Obviously not a method everyone can do.

But if we do another cruise form Ijmuiden I think I would take the train to Haarlem (or see if there is anything closer) and then a taxi. That would be less than a taxi all the way from Amsterdam.

Pack light and use the great "Unlimited laundry" package offered by HAL. We do that on every cruise now.

Not ony cheper as they dont have to use (and pay) going through the locks, but also it saves at least 2 hrs of sailing each way. (Less fuel)

For the passengers going through the loks was always interesting.

Luckily, we spent three nights in Amsterdam before coming to ijmuiden,so we did get to enjoy the city. Will be staying in Ams for one more night before heading back to Miami. At least the hotel is cheap and you get free breakfast! Live and learn.

The closest trainstation to Ijmuiden will be Beverwijk, but cab has to go either through a tunnel or drive over the locks (!) To get to the terminal. Will not be cheap too.

A bit closer might be Driehuis, but I am not sure cabs will be available there.

For passengers sailing from Amsterdam is by far the best.

I don’t remember if it’s been mentioned in this thread, but discussions of Ijmuiden often mention a bus stop and a dike, and while waiting for my checkin to open I did a bit of scouting. The bus stop is about 200 meters from the terminal. There are bus stops on each side of the road and 2 bus lines, one to Amsterdam and another to a local train station. Buses on each line appear to run about every 30 minutes, with a live list of upcoming departures on display.

There is a shelter with seats on the far side of the street. This is a view of the dike from the shelter:

https://serenitytokiel.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dike1.jpg

This is a closer view of the landside stairs:

https://serenitytokiel.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dike2.jpg

Looking at the ship and the terminal from the tope of the dike:

https://serenitytokiel.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dike3.jpg

And looking back at the seaside steps:

https://serenitytokiel.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dike4.jpg

The Holiday Inn in Ijmuiden appeared to be about a half mile from the terminal. The road appeared to lead to the bus stop on the land side of the dikes.

Roy

But remember public transport is just that. There is some but not a lot storage for much or big luggage and you have to handle it by yourself.

The 82 bus going to Amsterdam will arrive at Marnixstraat incl. some other stops ( not Centraal Station), http://www.connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/lijn?id=N082&datum=15122013&tijd=1313&dgCode=12345

More about other buslines: IJmuiden has no central bus station, so you have to select the right bus or the right bus stop (in case you must change buses).

IJmuiden is served by the following Connexxion bus company buses:

-3 -IJmuiden rotonde Stadspark-Haarlem train station-Haarlem Schalkwijk

-74 -IJmuiden Dennekoplaan-Velsen-Beverwijk-Heemskerk

-75 -IJmuiden aan Zee-Haarlem train station

-82 -IJMuiden aan Zee-Velsen-Spaarnwoude-Haarlemmerliede-Amsterdam Marnixstraat

-280 -IJmuiden Debbekoplaan-Driehuis-Santpoort-Velserbroek-Haarlem-Amsterdam (Night bus)

Not all buses come close to the cruise terminal!

Edited by Ine

But remember public transport is just that. There is some but not a lot storage for much or big luggage and you have to handle it by yourself.

The 82 bus going to Amsterdam will arrive at Marnixstraat incl. some other stops ( not Centraal Station), http://www.connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/lijn?id=N082&datum=15122013&tijd=1313&dgCode=12345

More about other buslines: IJmuiden has no central bus station, so you have to select the right bus or the right bus stop (in case you must change buses).

IJmuiden is served by the following Connexxion bus company buses:

-3 -IJmuiden rotonde Stadspark-Haarlem train station-Haarlem Schalkwijk

-74 -IJmuiden Dennekoplaan-Velsen-Beverwijk-Heemskerk

-75 -IJmuiden aan Zee-Haarlem train station

-82 -IJMuiden aan Zee-Velsen-Spaarnwoude-Haarlemmerliede-Amsterdam Marnixstraat

-280 -IJmuiden Debbekoplaan-Driehuis-Santpoort-Velserbroek-Haarlem-Amsterdam (Night bus)

Not all buses come close to the cruise terminal!

How 'bout a bus from Ijmuiden to the Surinameplein in A'dam? ;)

It will be interesting to see how much money HAL saves by not docking in Amsterdam versus how much they have to lower the cruise fares to encourage people to book a cruise like this. It is much more expensive to get to the ship and far less convinient than Amsterdam

Hi Kirk,

I disagree...it was not a big deal or expense to get to the the new port. It sounds bad, until you've done it. HAL offers a shuttle even for those who book their own hotel, which I feel is very accomodating!

We are doing the TA in Nov., which hopefully won't be our last P'dam cruise. Remember our day in Bordeaux, soaked to the skin, from the rain? It was still wonderful.

Linda

Hi Kirk,

I disagree...it was not a big deal or expense to get to the the new port. It sounds bad, until you've done it. HAL offers a shuttle even for those who book their own hotel, which I feel is very accomodating!

We are doing the TA in Nov., which hopefully won't be our last P'dam cruise. Remember our day in Bordeaux, soaked to the skin, from the rain? It was still wonderful.

Linda

Hey Linda,

Hope you and Jerry are doing well! I do remember, along with our dinner and tram ride back. We are actually in Varenna right now enjoying Lake Como.

I just hate it when the lines opt to save money like this. Charge me an extra couple hundred bucks and let me enjoy a great city with the convenience of an easy arrival to the ship. Multiple that by a thousand passengers and they might actually come out ahead.

Stay in touch!

got to Ijmuiden today after a 100 dollar cab ride from Amsterdam. thought I would get here a day early. needles to say, there is nothing here. Should have spent another eve in Amsterdam. I have read Hal leaves from here to save money on the locks. Walked the town this afternoon for awhile. Didn't see one person on the street. If I had it to do over would not stay in Ijmuiden. Just my opinion.

Yes, it's a mistake to start there, there is nothing there and even no decent transportation, they used to have a ferry to Amsterdam, but that was canceled. The extra 2 hours to Amsterdam on the Amstel river would have much better for the embarking pax, more convenient and even a scenic little cruise..

Yes, it's a mistake to start there, there is nothing there and even no decent transportation, they used to have a ferry to Amsterdam, but that was canceled. The extra 2 hours to Amsterdam on the Amstel river would have much better for the embarking pax, more convenient and even a scenic little cruise..

Kinda hard to do it on the Amstel River; the Noordzee Kanaal will work much better!

Linda

Hi Linda - can you provide me details on the shuttle. My TA knows nothing and I'm scheduled in September to do this. Booked hotel but no transportation yet......

Thanks!! (And, Hi to Kirk too!)

Hi Linda - can you provide me details on the shuttle. My TA knows nothing and I'm scheduled in September to do this. Booked hotel but no transportation yet......

We are in Australia and will be doing this in July. We rang HAL in Australia, and booked the transfer...think it was approx $40AUD per person. It leaves from Marriott Renaissance Hotel in Amsterdam. We are staying there but booked independently as it was half the price HAL charge.

Hi Karen,

What Kura is telling you is correct. We stayed at that hotel, but the shuttle does leave from there. I have good memories of you as well...when we stayed at the same hotel in Barcelona and went to dinner. At the airport in Barcelona, the Delta people didn't charge me for my extra suitcase --I saved $100!.

Linda