Church attire

cardbucfan

It is considered proper attire in all churches in Italy to have knees and shoulders covered. There will not necessarily always be someone there to check, but personally I think it'd be pretty rude not to follow their request given the numbers of tourists that troop in and out of their churches and enjoy their beauty and history.

I actually have a great little poncho type thing. It goes over your head and covers you to the waist while leaving your arms free. It takes up no space and I always have it in my bag in case I get cold in a restaurant or movie theater. My question was more about the pants. I plan to wear convertible pants in several ports so I can zip off the bottoms if it gets warm. It will be easy to put the legs back on for any churches we do. Now I have to convince DS21 to leave the basketball shorts behind and wear zip offs for the same reason.

I actually have a great little poncho type thing. It goes over your head and covers you to the waist while leaving your arms free. It takes up no space and I always have it in my bag in case I get cold in a restaurant or movie theater. My question was more about the pants. I plan to wear convertible pants in several ports so I can zip off the bottoms if it gets warm. It will be easy to put the legs back on for any churches we do. Now I have to convince DS21 to leave the basketball shorts behind and wear zip offs for the same reason.

As per comments....it's for real..I never got to go inside the Sistine Chapel or Vatican although I *did* fashion a shawl out of a very large cotton dust cover from a leather purse purchased. Granted, not a real shawl but it was baby blue, covered me....I was holding my rosary (ironically a gift from friends purchased in the VATICAN) and was turned away. Also turned away? Austrian men wearing traditional lederhausen because their knees/legs were showing. I was *not* trying to attend Mass... (I could have as I was dressed, at home..but yes - it's Italy) It was disappointing, people asked if I would return the next day but I did not...I had more things to see! It was way too hot for me (late May, that trip) and I'd have fainted if I wore too much but as I was traveling alone, I was dressed safely enough (decent) so as not to be harassed or draw attention to myself - clothing was that scrutinized at the security/clothing checkpoints...at the Vatican. At another smaller church in Rome in the Via del Corso as I walked back from the Piazza N-a-z-i-onale wishing for a quiet moment - I settled in and then a priest walked over pointing me to the door - again, it was not Mass - so I left. A local person followed me out and apologized, in Italian...feeling badly that I had had to leave, thinking it was antiquated, I was disappointed. But it was what it was - still had unforgettable experience in Rome and all over Italy a few times :) I just hadn't thought to ask about this and the Italians I was visiting - well we didn't talk about it before I left them in Modena to visit Rome....had to just keep going...enjoy everything that was there. I did.

Make sure your DS21 brings longer pants!

Edited by Host Bonjour

The shoulders covered requirement simply means a short or cap sleeve shirt or t-shirt. A lightweight cotton shirt will keep you cool. For knees covered, all it takes are capris, skirts or detachable leg pants.

It doesn't matter whether you are there for Mass or not. They expect everyone to show the same respect for the church whether services are going on or not.

We climbed the duomo in Florence recently and there were a few with shorts and tank tops. The dress code didn't seem to be enforced at all however they must of been looking because they pointed out those with tattoos to cover them up.

The dress code for Italian Catholic churches is very easy to follow and I think it would be rude to enter a place of worship and not abide by the customs/rules of that particular religion. There are many churches in Italy and most do not have anyone checking to see if you are wearing proper attire - seems to be "hit and miss" (however, if you are "spotted" wearing improper attire, you will be asked to leave). They definitely check at San Pietro & usually at San Giovanni in Laterano. Florence/Milan/Venice Churches seem to be hit and miss depending on the church/basilica/cathedral.

Are men required to wear long pants too?

Many people have recommended using those convertible pants with the zip off legs. They can be worn as pants or shorts (and they are usually pretty lightweight).

Shorts would have to be long enough to FULLY cover the knees and even then on some occasions have not been allowed.

Are men required to wear long pants too?

Yes, men must also have their knees covered...when I visited, there were Austrian men wearing traditional lederhausen that were not permitted to enter the Basilica although these are part of their cultural dress. Many Austrians are not Catholic and not every guide book might mention the clothing issue, others might just forget to pack something or wear something that day - I saw *so many* people being turned away and to be honest, most of them did not look "rude" but rather, just travelers from places all over the world. It's not easy to be prepared for everything, all the time...one just does their level best. Things can/do happen when we travel - some we can prepare for, some we cannot, but even with preparing, things won't always go our way. One must still make the best of it and carry on, have a wonderful holiday and be happy :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

This is one of the reasons I would never wear shorts or sundresses when I'm in Europe or the Middle East! I love to visit churches. I want to be sure that I am always appropriately and respectfully attired so that I can drop into any church at any time (not just Catholic churches - mosques are the same). By having my arms covered by at least short-sleeved shirts, my front modestly covered (can button up or a crew neck) and wearing pants (I'm not a dress/skirt person), I am ready for anything. The "it's too hot to wear that" doesn't go for me. I've even worn my long pants and long sleeved shirts in Egypt in 109 degree heat.

I've even worn my long pants and long sleeved shirts in Egypt in 109 degree heat.
As do Egyptians. They've known since forever that keeping their skin out of the sun is the coolest option, hence the light colored, loose, long clothing. It seems to be a Western thing to equate wearing long pants with heat, as if all fabrics were the same.