Already done Pompeii and Herculaneum , what is else from Naples in 6 hours

petlady7

Hi

We are in port 8 - 2 , we have already done Pompeii and Herculaneum , it doesnt look like we will have enough time to go across to Capri and cant find any buses or trains to Sorrento , any advice or ideas please

Hi

We are in port 8 - 2 , we have already done Pompeii and Herculaneum , it doesnt look like we will have enough time to go across to Capri and cant find any buses or trains to Sorrento , any advice or ideas please

When are you there?

The Circumvesuviana train always runs -- it goes from Naples to Sorrento. But it takes about an hour and a quarter.

There are also ferries from Naples to Sorrento and back on a regular basis; these only take about 30 minutes.

If you are thinking of staying in Naples, there is the wonderful archaeological museum. Also plenty of good suggestions here: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/naples/attractions

I also would suggest visiting the Archeological Museum. Especially given the fact that you have already visited the sites where much of the content is from. Also, there is quite a bit of interesting things to look at just walking around the area that you can reach via walking from the port (Piazza del Plebiscito, Castel Nuovo, Via Toledo, etc).

If you really want to go to Sorrento for a few hours there is a 9 AM ferry that gets you there at 9:45. The only return that works for your schedule departs at noon so you'd only have a couple of hours there. On the plus side, returning at 12:45 gives you a few minutes to explore the area near the port (Castel Nuovo, Teatro San Carlo, The Galleria, and the Royal Palace).

Personally I would just explore the centro storico of Naples and have one of the city's famous pizzas for lunch before returning to the ship.

I also would suggest visiting the Archeological Museum. Especially given the fact that you have already visited the sites where much of the content is from. Also, there is quite a bit of interesting things to look at just walking around the area that you can reach via walking from the port (Piazza del Plebiscito, Castel Nuovo, Via Toledo, etc).

I second this suggestion. We had a wonderful day in Naples visiting the Museum and other areas as we walked. My DH also took an Underground Tour which was amazing. I am not comfortable in close spaces so he went and I visited a Church and some shops -- felt totally comfortable wandering around on my own in Naples. Topped off our adventures with a Pizza and then Gelato -- perfect Naples day.

KathyT

Tell me more about the Ferry to Sorrento. How easy is it to get around the island? what's to see there?

We did a couple hours there last year. Known for its shopping and local restaurants. I would take a stroll then take some time in a street cafe. Not an island.

Main Square - Sorrento

IMG_3967.jpg

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Tell me more about the Ferry to Sorrento. How easy is it to get around the island? what's to see there?

Sorrento is not an island. Perhaps you are thinking of Capri, which is an island which is closer to Sorrento than to Naples and a common destination for day cruisers.

Paestum, while quite worthy of a visit, is not a good idea for a short port day in Naples. The OP has only six hours and it takes about one and a quarter hours each way to get to Paestum, and that's if the traffic cooperates. It's not in any way possible using public transit for such a short day.

We had a lovely day in Naples last week. When we have visited in the middle of summer Naples has not been so tempting.

I personally do not like the shorter stops for the DIY options. Naples is a port with so many diverse opportunities, but 6 hours is very limiting.

I would go for either Naples or a ship tour.

Seconded! A fantastic museum. Also some great pizza places nearby.

I love Sorrento but you will be too rushed in my opinion.

Edited by twin123185