What Cruise Line and Which Florida Cruise is best

mw524

Flying to Florida from California. Family of 5. 3 Boys. Oldest will be 18 and the other 2 will be 16 at time of trip. They have never flown out of California and they have never cruised before. We will be traveling for a week between June 10th - June 20th, 2016. We have family in Tampa for 2 days but willing to cruise in other port and travel to Tampa before or after the cruise. Have done lots of research but can't decide. Cruise length 3-5 days.

Opinion Questions:

Which Cruise Line do you prefer for these smaller trips?

Which Port do you prefer for these smaller trips?

Thank you,

MW524

Edited by mw524

This is not a recommendation of any particular cruise line or itinerary but more of a warning to be sure you are aware. What ever your travel plans and budget allow is certainly what you should do, but just a word of caution that most short cruises (3-4 days) are typically party cruises (aka booze cruises) with a higher amount of college age and mid twenties on board than most longer cruises who are there for the party.

The 5 days get away from that somewhat but if you can manage it, I would recommend a longer 7 day cruise if possible to avoid that, unless of course that is what you are looking for.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

A couple of things to realize about 3-5 day cruises.

Cruise lines almost always use their older, and smaller ships for these itineraries. From Florida ports they generally go to the Bahamas.

These short cruises tend to be more of a party type cruise.

All that being said, we really enjoyed our 5 day cruise out of Jacksonville aboard the Carnival Fascination a few years back. I believe Carnival has another similar ship there now. There are short cruises out of Tampa and Miami also.

Personally I would choose Carnival for your cruise for the following reasons:

1. Less expensive for a very similar experience, especially since you will need two cabins. None of the older ships have cabins to accomodate 5 (but I could be wrong about that)

2. Cabins on Carnival are by far the largest, even on the older ships. Smallest inside is 185 sq ft, whereas RCI and NCL they are 160 sq ft or smaller.

3. Food, amenities and entertainment is about the same for all.

Check out the ports and what ships sail from there and where they go. Do a little research and see what you like.

Other than this, it is hard to recommend anything in particular, since we do not know your personal likes and dislikes.

You will enjoy your first cruise, whichever one you choose.

Be careful though, crusing is very addictive. :eek::D:D

Edited by t_car

I myself would recommend Royal Caribbean. They have all the things young people love and they sail right from Tampa.

RCI only sails from Tampa between November and April.

Best bet for the family group--parents, teens, and a 'Club 18-20' who will not be able to participate in teen activities with the younger two--would be either RCI from Ft Lauderdale or NCL from Miami. Like others I strongly advise choosing a seven day cruise over a short one.

Aside: I also must warn that if you plan on visiting other Florida attractions while with your family in Tampa you will find the weeks immediately after the school year ends are the most crowded of the year. More families with young kids visit Disney et al those weeks than over Christmas, Easter, or mid-summer. Get your tickets in advance and be there before the gates open in the morning.

My advice is for you to speak with a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

We cannot offer recommendation of TA's on CC. Best to ask friends you know who cruise for a recommendation.

This way you can discuss all of the options with a TA and they can find a cruise that will match your budget, time frame and preferences something that we can't possibly do effectively on this board. In general, the recommendations you will get here are what each person prefers which may or may not be best for you.

Keith

3-5 day cruises in June are very limited. I'm pretty sure your choices are Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL. You only have one choice out of Tampa, and that's the Carnival Paradise....a very old ship. Personally, I think the nicest ship doing short cruises in June will be Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas out of Miami.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

One thing you should know is that there are very few ships sailing in June. Many leave in April/May to go to Europe, Alaska, Canada/New England.

If you can manage it go for a 7 day cruise -- especially after that long flight from California.

Even 5 day cruises on Carnival can attract a lot of boozers.

I would go with RCI or NCL.

You've been given good advice about short cruises (under a week) and summer Caribbean cruising offering a very small number from which to choose in comparison to October - May (roughly).

I'd be careful about the boys at that age being on what could be a 'party boat'.

Fair warned, as they say. :)

You have two choices from Tampa, both on Carnival. 4-5 days. A shorter the cruise attracts a younger more "party" crowd. I would consider 7 days if you can.

From Fort Lauderdale, more Carnival, RC Oasis Of The Seas and The Allure.

The Oasis and Allure being the biggest ships at sea offer a lot and the pricing is higher.

From Port Canaveral you have again Carnival, RC Majesty Of The Seas, a smaller older ship. RC Freedom Of The Seas. This is the ship I would choose. There will be a lot for everyone to do and it is a wonderful ship.

Many Of these I have mentioned are 7 nights.

There are many sailings from Miami also

Norwegian Getaway is a new ship with great reviews.

My first cruise was a 3night on the ncl Sky. We had a penthouse suite (9202 - I think) that I'm pretty sure would fit 5, as there was a couch, the main beds and a second bedroom with at least one bed and maybe a pull-down. (We used it as a closet and dressing room. Super Lux, I know.)

We didn't notice a real party vibe, but we also kept ourselves really busy and utilized the suite-perks to get away from the crowds.

I hope you have a great first family sail.

1. most travel agents who claim to be experts on cruising .... aren't (learned the hard way) If you find one you could get good help, but IME I ALWAYS know more than they do following basic research . . . my best results have been with AAA travel but even then it was so so. (OP is from Cali' and looking at Florida cruises???? forgetaboutit.)

2. 3 or 4 day cruises leave every week from Port Canaveral via Disney, Carnival and RCCL .... all year round. Tampa is some what seasonal. HOWEVER if you do the math ... can there BE a 3 day cruise from Tampa???? Time/distance ..... where can it go? It is TRUE that a short cruise from Canaveral or Miami "only" goes to Nassau, but that's because that's the port they can REACH in this time frame.

3. Disney is very nice but maybe not the correct 'theme' for your boys, and is the most $$ option; I won't sail Carnival ..... another fire this week? Come on now . . . I've sailed RCCL several times including the short cruises out of Canav ..... this is what I'd recommend. I've sailed a 3 nite on RCL from Canav' for $129. . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

I won't sail Carnival ..... another fire this week? Come on now . . . I've sailed RCCL several times including the short cruises out of Canav ..... this is what I'd recommend..

I agree. It's been weeks since the Freedom Of The Seas fire. Well over 2 years since the Grandeur fire. And 3 years since the 2012 Allure engine room fire. Go with RCCL. It's a pretty safe choice.

Edited by AdGuyMG

I agree. It's been weeks since the Freedom Of The Seas fire. Well over 2 years since the Grandeur fire. And 3 years since the 2012 Allure engine room fire. Go with RCCL. It's a pretty safe choice.

If you google it, records show that since 1980, Carnival and RCI are pretty close in number of ship fires.

Carnival 5

RCI 7

NCL 4

HAL 2

Princess 1

You also have to look at the number of ships that each cruise line operates.

So technically, the safest of all lines is Princess.

Looks like only one OLD Carnival ship out of Tampa in your time frame, doing shortie cruises. Consider going over to Fort Lauderdale and getting on the newest, biggest RCL or CCL ship. Do not expose your children to one of these under 7 day booze cruises , please. Not good.