San Francisco precruise hotel and transporation

Silent Penguin

We might have enough Marriott points, when the time comes to book our pre-cruise hotel, to stay near the cruise port in San Francisco, but if we don't, we'll have to find something more affordable and therefore a little farther out from the port. We plan to use public transportation for sight-seeing. This is where I could use some input from those of you with experience staying pre-cruise in San Francisco where to stay.

Also, we've never stayed at hotel that didn't offer shuttle service to the port, but it doesn't appear that that's available, so I'm looking whether to use a taxi, shuttle, or Uber for transportation the morning of the cruise. Or maybe, public transportation although that seems a little unrealistic with luggage for a 15-day cruise (including some scuba gear). Any recommendations in that regard would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

We've just stayed at a hotel in Union Square (got a good price from a travel promo). I think SF is quite expensive for accommodation. We used the public bus to get around - cheap and the transfer was good for a few hours.

To get to the port we took a taxi - it was around $10.

Cheers.

When were in SF, pre-cruise, we spent four nights at Best Western, AKA Tuscan Inn and were very pleased with our room, location - an easy stroll to Fisherman's Wharf for dinner, and hotel's services. There's a Trader Joe's and an IGA store on adjacent blocks where we picked up snacks, and wine, plus hard liquor for the cruise...that was when it was OK to do so. We did a few tours from the hotel; wine country, etc.

Post cruise, we spent three nights at the Mark Hopkins - great views from Top of the Mark for an early evening drink to watch the sun set. Nice hotel, but I enjoyed the Tuscan more.

We used a taxi to and from the pier, not too $$$ at the time.

Darcy

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which is a few blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. Buses and trolleys are available nearby, but you can walk to all the Fisherman's Wharf locations. We took the short taxi ride to the pier which if I remember correctly cost less than $20.

FYI we took a number of free walking tours run by the public library(a donation is requested at the end). They were well done. Take a look at this web site: http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Last January we stayed at the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. Got a great rate through Priceline. It was an easy walk from the hotel to Fishermans Wharf. Lots to do in that area. We took a taxi to the port the following morning , very inexpensive.

We stayed at the Mayflower hotel near Union Square. It was one of the few reasonably priced hotels that I could find that had King sized beds (and continental breakfast). We took the airport train, then a cab for the last few blocks to the hotel. It was an older boutique-y style hotel and we liked it!

http://www.sfmayflowerhotel.com

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf last time we were in SF. It was great near the touristy Fisherman's Wharf spots. We took a taxi to the ship less than a mile away. From the airport we took an express van which was not bad. We did stop at a few hotels of course as they let pax off. We love going to SF and sailing under the GG bridge. Our second favorite port is NYC when we sail in/out past the statue.

We love going to SF and sailing under the GG bridge. Our second favorite port is NYC when we sail in/out past the statue.

I've never left on a cruise from NYC, but I've taken the Staten Island Ferry several times in my life. The sight of the Statue of Liberty never gets old for me. I imagined few people, even those who see it every day, are not stirred by its significance.

Edited by Silent Penguin

When were in SF, pre-cruise, we spent four nights at Best Western, AKA Tuscan Inn and were very pleased with our room, location - an easy stroll to Fisherman's Wharf for dinner, and hotel's services. There's a Trader Joe's ....

Darcy

You got me at "There's a Trader Joe's". Where we live now, there is no TJ nearby or anything like it. I bet the one in SF is fabulous, even better than what we have on the East Coast. I had an unsettling experience at a TJ in Santa Barbara (I think it was SB) where my friend and I were accosted by security guards for trying to take pictures of the fish and produce display. We were bowled over by the exotic variety and just wanted to show it to our friends back home. As directed, we took our cameras back to our car, but the guards followed us around the whole time during our return. I guess celebrities shop there? Why would photographing fruit and fish be against the rules?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf last time we were in SF. It was great near the touristy Fisherman's Wharf spots. We took a taxi to the ship less than a mile away. From the airport we took an express van which was not bad. We did stop at a few hotels of course as they let pax off. We love going to SF and sailing under the GG bridge. Our second favorite port is NYC when we sail in/out past the statue.

We're planning on staying at the same hotel in late August. What was the name of the express van company?

This will be our first time sailing from SF, so it's nice to know that it's beautiful. On the other hand, we've sailed to and/or from a NYC port (Manhattan or Bayonne) 5 or 6 times, and taken various harbor cruises. The Lady in the Harbor is lovely, and it's sobering to think that our ancestors had to stop at Ellis Island before they could land in this country. We also love sailing under the Verrazano Bridge. On our next cruise, we'll see both cities - SF to NYC through the Canal on 9/3/16.

You got me at "There's a Trader Joe's". Where we live now, there is no TJ nearby or anything like it. I bet the one in SF is fabulous, even better than what we have on the East Coast. I had an unsettling experience at a TJ in Santa Barbara (I think it was SB) where my friend and I were accosted by security guards for trying to take pictures of the fish and produce display. We were bowled over by the exotic variety and just wanted to show it to our friends back home. As directed, we took our cameras back to our car, but the guards followed us around the whole time during our return. I guess celebrities shop there? Why would photographing fruit and fish be against the rules?

Security! Someone casing a business will most likely take pictures. If I ever wanted to take pix inside a business, I would first ask permission of a store manager to see if it's even allowed.

Darcy

If you have Marriott points stay at the JW Marriott, Marriott Union Square, Courtyard Union Square or the Hotel Adagio. FW is too plastic.

Use Uber XL to get to the cruise port.

SF has great public transportation and is very walkable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, wondering if anyone can give some advice. We are coming from England in early October to join celebrity cruise to Panama. We are hoping to have a couple of days pre cruise in SF and are looking at hotels which all seem to be quite expensive for those dates. Not sure if we should wait a bit to book and if prices might come down a bit?

Also what area is best to stay in,fishermans pier or union square?

How far is the cruise port away from the city?

Sorry so many question! Thanks for any help

Hi, wondering if anyone can give some advice. We are coming from England in early October to join celebrity cruise to Panama. We are hoping to have a couple of days pre cruise in SF and are looking at hotels which all seem to be quite expensive for those dates. Not sure if we should wait a bit to book and if prices might come down a bit?

Also what area is best to stay in, fishermans pier or union square?

San Francisco is, typically, an expensive hotel city...Don't wait around expecting rates to come down...Make a booking NOW on a refundable rate...then keep watching those hotel rates...if they actually do come down, book a new reservation and cancel your old one...

Fisherman's Wharf is a nicer area...and more "tourist friendly" than Union Square...Lots walkable around the Wharf area...lots of restaurant choices...Cable Cars travel between those two areas...The cruise pier is right in the City--very close to Fisherman's Wharf...

Have fun!

What is your budget per night in U.S. dollars? That will help determine where to stay. Hotels are unlikely to come down.

I would never advise anyone to stay at Fisherman's Wharf. It isn't "touristy" it is tourist central, think Times Square or Piccadilly Circus. The odds of bumping into an actual San Francisco resident are low. The restaurants are mostly mediocre and expensive, many are chains you can find in any U.S. city. There is zero that is notable about Fisherman's Wharf.

That being said, your budget may dictate different locations than these two choices.

Look at the Columbus Motor Inn and its sister properties.

http://www.columbusmotorinn.com/sister_properties.html

The cruise port is in the middle of the city and the city is relatively small.

If you are on the Oct 7th Infinity come join the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152454&page=26

If you are on this cruise note the hotel rooms will be in short supply as there is a huge software convention in town that week. Expect 100,000 plus people, so do not expect prices to drop. Google SalesForce.com DreamForce.

We stayed at the Hotel Zephyr for a few nights after our Pacific Coastal cruise in the fall and it was great! The staff were so friendly and organized, they were very helpful figuring out the transit as well as recommendations for restaurants etc. We ended up with the Zephyr by chance through hotwire, but would book there again in a heartbeat.

The first week in October is also "Fleet Week".

That's when the US Navy, etal, floats into town and have ship tours and their Blue Angels fighter plane aerobatic team perform over the Bay.

http://fleetweeksf.org/

Dang...

I didn't look at those dates that carefully...but Phil is right...

Fleet Week is October 3-10

In San Francisco, that is one big party weekend...Hotels will fill up...Hotel rates will only go up as the dates near.

If that is the week you are cruising out of San Francisco, make your best deal NOW....

I was in The City for Fleet Week in 2014...We sat on my daughter's rooftop terrace in the Marina District to watch the air show...From her place, we could see multiple parties going on around the area on various other rooftops...We had to head over to Berkeley afterwards...and the traffic going across town was horrific...There were mobs of pedestrians crossing streets and blocking traffic all through the route (and we were driving from the Marina, through the Fisherman's Wharf area and the Financial District to get to the Bay Bridge)...

Thanks everyone for all your advice. We have finally booked accommodation through the Columbus motor inn link. Everything seems to be getting booked up very quickly and does seem very expensive.

Will be asking for tips on things to do in San Francisco next!