Zika Virus cancellation...or not!

Having only booked a cruise last week to the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas, we find the following day via an email from The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that 3 of the 4 places to be visited have the Zika virus.

We were not informed of this information when booking, and were to travel with our daughter in law who is pregnant. We find however that there is no way although we were to travel together that Royal Carribean with neither refund our monies nor exchange the place of travel. We have tried for the last 3 days and they say its only the pregnant guest that can cancel. For that reason we are having to pay for a cruise we cannot take.

Also my husband of 78 only last year recovered from a quadruple heart bypass and would be silly to take to places where he could easily pick up the virus. We should have been informed at the time of booking also.

We have done several Royal Carribean cruises but find this to be totally disgraceful in the circumstances when they wont even transfer us.

Please give me your me your comments or advice please...

9430128a54149a218a4ded0db8dd989c.jpg

This is suppose to be #1 best protection against Zika. I am going on Freedom as well with 3 out of 4 that have Zika warning. Hope this will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would worry about the pregnant woman....no one else. The virus is almost undetectable in a non-pregnant person...or even in a pregnant person. The threat is to the fetus.... Anyone outside of child-bearing age most likely wouldn't even know if they get the virus. It's only a threat to the unborn.

I feel very bad for you. If I was pregnant I would not go. Her partner should use proper precautions when he returns, even if he does not show signs of infection.

I understand how RC must be very strict about who may cancel as many people may want to change their plans if Royal bends the rules for anyone.

Edited by marci22

Seems like Zika is constantly on the news here, but you said the UK has not covered it in their news. I'm sorry you don't feel you can take the cruise. I totally understand why your pregnant daughter-in-law would not take the cruise, but honestly, I don't see why the rest of you cannot go. I went to the Caribbean last Nov/Dec and Zika was present as was chikungunya, malaria, etc. I have a suppressed immune system due to a transplant and I had no qualms about going on that cruise. My husband is a mosquito biologist so our knowledge of mosquito borne diseases is extensive. If you carry and use repellent and stay out of the rain forests, your husband should have no problem. There is a risk of disease in almost any country that one can visit, but if one takes the necessary precautions, one should be just fine. I would go on the cruise rather than lose the money, but that's me.

Since you're in the UK, here's UK-specific info.

You don't mention your ports, but take a look at the Home Office's website. They have a list of current countries Zika travel isn't advised to because of Zika. If your ports are NOT on that list as of the day you booked, you'd have a case for saying your country didn't consider it as serious as RCCL does. And therefore you'd have reason to cancel and request a refund.

If the countries/ports were already reported on the Home Office, RCCL is quite within its rights to say that the UK government already had a caution in place, and you'd not done your due diligence looking at that before booking.

In any case, it's not been in the UK news as much, but it certainly has been in all the Rio/Olympics news, and it's been on the Home Office website since December.

While I sympathize for your situation, all travellers have a responsibility for ensuring that they are aware of conditions at their intended destination(s) before making reservations. The UK government runs an excellent website providing foreign travel advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice. A few minutes spent there before booking would have provided all of the necessary information.

As for your husband, I had open heart surgery just before Christmas last year and cruised for two weeks in the Caribbean in March-April of this year with the full blessing of my doctors. This included several islands where Zika has been detected, but the medical opinion was that normal precautions would suffice. I'll be back in the southern Caribbean in November with no hesitation.

In your situation, I would cancel your daughter's cruise, as is allowed, but the others go ahead as planned. It won't be quite the same, but better than having no cruise plus being out of pocket.

I cruised last week and saw at least 2 pregnant women onboard with 3 stops in the Caribbean. One lady was at the beach in Haiti. I personally would've stayed on the ship. I think it's a personal decision if she decides to go and stay on the ship , even at ports, or stay home all together.

While home here in the States I am a mosquito magnet and while on my 7 night last week never encountered one mosquito.

A natural repellent for Mosquitos is as follows mix a quality organic expressed coconut oil with a few drops of oil of peppermint, place in fridge in small, couple ounces container, rub on skin as it is in gel form. Healthy, keep out of eyes, natural spf factor and can repel bugs including mosquito. I take it on cruises keep in fridge in room and apply when going out. I would avoid the areas with the virus if you are with child, or elderly.

I would worry about the pregnant woman....no one else. The virus is almost undetectable in a non-pregnant person...or even in a pregnant person. The threat is to the fetus.... Anyone outside of child-bearing age most likely wouldn't even know if they get the virus. It's only a threat to the unborn.

Umm.... Actually Zika can be transmitted sexually so the partners of childbearing age women need to take care as well. Health Canada advises men who have been in Zika zones to use Condoms for 60 days after they return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm.... Actually Zika can be transmitted sexually so the partners of childbearing age women need to take care as well. Health Canada advises men who have been in Zika zones to use Condoms for 60 days after they return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct. We had a Zika qualifying cancellation for a trip in June and the other cruise line (where it was booked) said it was pregnant women AND spouses were included due to the sexually transmitted nature of the virus.

Honestly, it's not rci's responsibility to update you on risks of an area. It is the consumers responsibility to do the research prior to purchase. As for refunds, If you have travel insurance you should be able to get refund. Usually if you get insurance within 7-30 days of booking you can be reimbursed. Not sure why you would have a problem directly from rci unless you booked within the 90 days to cruise window. Two years ago I cancelled and got my deposit refunded with no issue. I realize everyone is different so not trying to belittle your experience. I'm surprised anyone with a pregnancy would be booking the Caribbean right now as Zika has been in the news for months specifically addressing the risks to pregnant women. Heck at this point there are already risks in the southern US. My suggestions since I don't know whole story and I'm a little confused on your timeline...find some travel insurance that has cancel for any reason in policy (USAA -if member, offers this if you buy within 30 days of booking) see which would cost more cost of insurance then canceling or not getting refund when you cancel only you can work out what works best for you. As for Zika risks it is only to the fetus so pregnant women and their spouse should be able to cancel regardless of insurance. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Having only booked a cruise last week to the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas, we find the following day via an email from The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that 3 of the 4 places to be visited have the Zika virus.

We were not informed of this information when booking, and were to travel with our daughter in law who is pregnant. We find however that there is no way although we were to travel together that Royal Carribean with neither refund our monies nor exchange the place of travel. We have tried for the last 3 days and they say its only the pregnant guest that can cancel. For that reason we are having to pay for a cruise we cannot take.

Also my husband of 78 only last year recovered from a quadruple heart bypass and would be silly to take to places where he could easily pick up the virus. We should have been informed at the time of booking also.

We have done several Royal Carribean cruises but find this to be totally disgraceful in the circumstances when they wont even transfer us.

I am aware of different rules for US and UK bookings but confused by your post. Are you telling us that you can not cancel a cruise before final payment like we can here is US? When is this cruise to Caribbean as I thought most RCCL ships were in Europe or elsewhere in world at this time of year. Can't you buy travel insurance in UK like we do in US?

As someone posted your pregnant daughter-in-law and your son can cancel according to guidelines which others shared. What is preventing you and your husband from taking the cruise if you are not able to cancel? Hope you can find a satisfactory resolution.

In March we sailed to Cozumel (on Brilliance) and about two weeks prior to sailing, we received an email from RCCL regarding ZIKA with information about contacting RCCL to change reservations if one was pregnant. Others on various sailing posted that they had received the same email. (Sorry I don't have it to post here but you may be able to find it with a search). I do not know any outcome of changing reservation, or how others in a traveling party might be handled.

I do have an acquaintance with medical issues so she canceled her cruise because of a ZIKA fear. Her travel insurance denied to reimburse her for lost expenses.

Good luck

M

I am aware of different rules for US and UK bookings but confused by your post. Are you telling us that you can not cancel a cruise before final payment like we can here is US? When is this cruise to Caribbean as I thought most RCCL ships were in Europe or elsewhere in world at this time of year. Can't you buy travel insurance in UK like we do in US?

As someone posted your pregnant daughter-in-law and your son can cancel according to guidelines which others shared. What is preventing you and your husband from taking the cruise if you are not able to cancel? Hope you can find a satisfactory resolution.

For UK bookings the deposit is never refundable, so you can cancel the cruise but you lose the 150 pound per person deposit. Travel insurance likely wouldn't work in this situation since the Zika virus was publicized before the cruise was booked, so it would essentially be a pre-existing situation. Maybe with a "Cancel for any reason" waiver, but the cost of the insurance might be close to the cost they would lose from the deposit anyway.

As for just going anyway without the daughter-in-law or son, it would certainly be possible, but I'd definitely understand the hesitancy. If you were planning a family vacation and half the family couldn't go, it might not be as fun or enjoyable. We were almost in a similar situation where a work problem nearly cancelled my husband's vacation time; we agreed I would still go on the cruise with the rest of our group, but I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it. I'd have been depressed and angry the entire time.

Personally I would hope that Royal would be a bit more courteous about allowing the OP to move their reservation to a different itinerary, but I don't think they are under any obligation to do so. Zika has been all over the news, especially with the Olympics, and personally I always research all the ports we will be going to before booking, to check on things like how gays are treated, crime rates, and any CDC or State Department warnings or notices.

I do have an acquaintance with medical issues so she canceled her cruise because of a ZIKA fear. Her travel insurance denied to reimburse her for lost expenses.

Good luck

M

Every single cruise line is working with people who are pregnant and coming to a rational solution if they have a cruise booked to an infected destination. So yes, her insurance would deny her because the cruise lines are issuing refunds and credits to any woman who proves she is pregnant.

Every single cruise line is working with people who are pregnant and coming to a rational solution if they have a cruise booked to an infected destination. So yes, her insurance would deny her because the cruise lines are issuing refunds and credits to any woman who proves she is pregnant.

The woman was NOT pregnant, she is over 70 and had other health issues.

The cruise line (not RCCL) did refund most of her cruise fare but she had other expenses for the two of them such as pre cruise non refundable hotel, flights , etc., that were denied from travel insurance coverage. There was some explanation that insurance will not cover a fear that you might get sick.

M