Why it's wise to fly to the cruise departure port a day (at least) early

Literary Lynne

Thank goodness we booked our flight to Athens a day before the cruise begins. We just heard from British Airways that due to Greek Air Traffic Controllers our flight is being delayed.

Let's hope it is just delayed and not cancelled. At least we have a day's grace if it is.

:( Lynne

Thank goodness we booked our flight to Athens a day before the cruise begins. We just heard from British Airways that due to Greek Air Traffic Controllers our flight is being delayed.

Let's hope it is just delayed and not cancelled. At least we have a day's grace if it is.

:( Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I hope everything works out according as planned. Please keep us posted, and have a wonderful cruise !

Good luck with your travels! It seems like Greece, Italy and France are always on strike when I'm traveling through Europe.

We ALWAYS arrive at the port of departure at least one day early. I'm a flight attendant, and I'm always shocked by how many people we have on the plane who fly in the day of sailing. It's crazy!

Michael

Good luck with your travels! It seems like Greece, Italy and France are always on strike when I'm traveling through Europe.

We ALWAYS arrive at the port of departure at least one day early. I'm a flight attendant, and I'm always shocked by how many people we have on the plane who fly in the day of sailing. It's crazy!

Michael

years ago on Princess I met a couple who missed sail away and had to fly to the first port because they waited .. why wait!

Excellent advice and couldn't agree more. It only took us one time to learn that lesson. Delta did not leave JFK to come to ORD due to storms and we missed a day of our pre-cruise tour. We scrambled to the help desk but there was nothing left that day, nor the next day. We ended up flying the next day on a KLM flight.

Who would have guessed we'd have a problem with Delta...certainly not us.

I suppose living in the UK regions, flying on the day has never been an option for us. Overnight hotel costs plus internal connecting flights all add to our cruise costs so we prefer to choose embarkation cities we are attracted to spend time in anyway and where there is little hassle getting to the port. Barcelona is a current favourite

We always book the Azamara package inc flights. They used to fly us out the day before but now fly you out on the same day and they don't always look at effective routings and arrival time/transfer times if via a European hub. Will have to persuade my DH that perhaps we should try booking our own flights. You can relax if you arrive at least a day before.

We always book the Azamara package inc flights. They used to fly us out the day before but now fly you out on the same day and they don't always look at effective routings and arrival time/transfer times if via a European hub. Will have to persuade my DH that perhaps we should try booking our own flights. You can relax if you arrive at least a day before.

That's the reason we do not have the package, plus the use of budget carriers with more draconian luggage restrictions are used from our regional departure. We are BA flyers and also build in at least 4 hours connection on the outbound flight (I think that's three hours more than recommended on a domestic transfer!) - gives me time for some retail therapy and refreshments. I always believe my holiday starts at LHR T5 :)

Edited by uktog

Oh dear. We usually arrive at our departure destination at least one day before embarkation. However on our next cruise which departs Malaga we have opted for an early morning flight from London City. Begining to worry as this airport is plagued by fog! Only saving grace is that next port is Gibraltar, about a 90 minute drive from Malaga!

Oh dear. We usually arrive at our departure destination at least one day before embarkation. However on our next cruise which departs Malaga we have opted for an early morning flight from London City. Begining to worry as this airport is plagued by fog! Only saving grace is that next port is Gibraltar, about a 90 minute drive from Malaga!

I think you are also thinking very clearly, if it is an on the day arrival, make sure the next port is easily accessible.

So, wouldn't you book an Azamara flight inclusive package for a Far East cruise? I'm just looking at them now. I've always assumed that a "package" is safer because then it's Azamara's responsibility to get us to the ship as it's all booked via them. If we book our own flights, we're on our own. Is this incorrect? We've had 2 packages with them so far, but both for European cruises. The flights out were on the day of sailing, but we were onboard for lunch.

So, wouldn't you book an Azamara flight inclusive package for a Far East cruise? I'm just looking at them now. I've always assumed that a "package" is safer because then it's Azamara's responsibility to get us to the ship as it's all booked via them. If we book our own flights, we're on our own. Is this incorrect? We've had 2 packages with them so far, but both for European cruises. The flights out were on the day of sailing, but we were onboard for lunch.

Even Europe to Europe i would not want to do it.. i had flight delays in London at T5 from 3 to 5 hours.. I now give myself 2 nights coming from the states to Europe. For the Far East i want more. Azamara might say they get you there but how/ meaning if one flight is alte or cancel how long to you see the ship. also what about hotels-had them book me a hotel once- location was fair compared to where i sleep. i also do my own flights.

Who would have guessed we'd have a problem with Delta...certainly not us.

We had THE WORST experience with Delta flying to the Far East.

After 2 mechanical problems caused us to miss our flight in Atlanta (the plane was still there - they would not let us on), they put us on another airline.

Because the flight was more expensive (the day of the flight) they put us in economy - we had paid for Business. They refused to give us a refund. We arrived 2 days after we were supposed to and did not have our luggage for another 2 days.

I have decided that overseas air travel is #1 too expensive ($25K for the air in question) and #2 the airlines DONT CARE. NEVER AGAIN !!!!

We are flying two days ahead of embarkation in Miami. Because we fly from SFO and prefer to avoid red eyes and 7am departures requiring 4:45am pickup from our home, we book civilized flights leaving at 12 noon or so and arriving around 5:40pm or so which likely means a 7pm or so arrival at our hotel (Four Seasons). Yes, we check luggage. In those "or so's" is all the difference. This way we are covered fairly comfortably no matter what barring circumstances about which I decline to think.

We are flying two days ahead of embarkation in Miami. Because we fly from SFO and prefer to avoid red eyes and 7am departures requiring 4:45am pickup from our home, we book civilized flights leaving at 12 noon or so and arriving around 5:40pm or so which likely means a 7pm or so arrival at our hotel (Four Seasons). Yes, we check luggage. In those "or so's" is all the difference. This way we are covered fairly comfortably no matter what barring circumstances about which I decline to think.

I like your thinking. but hoo do you leave at noon and arrive by 6- very hard to get a nonstop flight..i am flying in and out of San Fran this winter.. two flights each way.

As I understand, it is the responsibility of the cruise line to get you to the ship if you book their 'package'. We often book a package if we are flying into another European country but for longer distance we like to use our frequent flyer miles and then we will always have at least one day pre-cruise.

If you book your cruise and flight as a package with Azamara, you can ask your agent to request flights 1 or 2 days earlier. I have been offered that in the past, but I now prefer to make my own arrangements and have the carrier and route that I want.

Having read everybody's experiences on their flights being delayed etc, I must reply with our recent experience. We booked a 'package' through our UK TA to ensure no problems would occur but here's what happened. B.A flight from Heathrow T.5. ETD 11:15/ETA Barcelona 14:25, the flight was delayed due to late arrival of incoming flight. We eventually arrived at the port to embark at around 16:15:( Unfortunately the 'welcome on board' was non existent and by the time we started to unpack it was time for the 'emergency drill'. Once sorted we slipped into 'cruise mode' and had a wonderful time, little did we know that our return flight home would be a nightmare.

Disembarked at Civitavecchia at 07:15 for a indirect AF flight to Heathrow from Fiumicino ETD 12:50/ETA Paris CDG 15:00/ETD 16:00/ ETA Heathrow 16:15.

Again our Rome/Paris flight was delayed and eventually took off late at 14:20 with the knowledge that we would miss the connecting flight to Heathrow. Nevertheless whilst on board we were advised by a member of cabin crew that we had been transferred to another flight from Paris, so all was happy or so we thought !! On landing at Paris yes we had missed our flight but the alternative flight had also left (we found out later on that this flight was going to Vienna with a connection to Heathrow :confused:

After queuing for 2-3 hours for help from the AirFrance customer support it was explained that there were no more flights to Heathrow and we had to spend the night in a local hotel (which turned out to be yet another nightmare).

ETD the following day was 07:20 which took off on time and landed at Edinburgh, yes you heard Edingburgh at 08:20 with a connecting Virgin Atlantic flight to Heathrow at 09:10. We arrived at Heathrow at 10:40 quite jaded but glad to be home. The reason for this nightmare return flight...............AirFrance pilots strike action:mad: So fellow cruisers do not only think of arriving the day before your cruise but consider your return as well. We certainly will.

By the way, we have passed on our experience to Azamara and at this present time in conservation with them.