NCL cruise coffee? Ick!

henryhannah

My husband and I did POA through the Hawaiian islands for our honeymoon last year. We LOVED the cruise, so much that we planned another one with NCL to Bermuda for our anniversary this year. The only thing I absolutely detested was the coffee that was offered on board. To me, it seemed like every single cup of coffee on the ship was the same- main dining room, buffet areas, specialty restaurants, and the coffee bar.

We were planning on bringing those Starbucks Via packets or something similar this time around. Anyone have experience or advice with this? I'm hoping they wouldn't get confiscated because I can't stand another week with terrible coffee. Thanks!!

We always bring our own. For rooms with coffee makers we bring our grounds and filters... for rooms like the Jewel with only hot water pots a small portable french press or via. Since we drive to port it is not a problem for us and even so, the via does not take up much room. No problem with bringing it aboard.

Thanks for the response. We have an ocean view room and I can't seem to find anything on NCL's website about having a coffee maker in this category room on the Star. On POA we had an inside cabin with no coffee maker so I'm not expecting this type of amenity on the Star. I'm THIS CLOSE to bringing a French press and ground coffee into the buffet!!:)

My husband and I did POA through the Hawaiian islands for our honeymoon last year. We LOVED the cruise, so much that we planned another one with NCL to Bermuda for our anniversary this year. The only thing I absolutely detested was the coffee that was offered on board. To me, it seemed like every single cup of coffee on the ship was the same- main dining room, buffet areas, specialty restaurants, and the coffee bar.

We went on the POA in January for our honeymoon. When we were there, they made a big deal out of mentioning that it was locally grown Kona coffee. I don't think we ever drank any of it, but I'd imagine it's not the same stuff everybody else is use to.

We've got another cruise scheduled for the Bahamas next January.

I agree with you about the coffee. I know coffee maybe be subjective (wrote about it a few months ago and many replies stated such) but the coffee on the Jewel was absolutely dreadful and I have been sailing on NCL for over 12 years. I don't know what happened but it was dreadful. I, too, will bring Via on my next trip and just get cups of hot water from the buffet. I think NCL must have bought tons of subgrade coffee. Pity because I always thought their coffee was great.

I agree with you about the coffee. I know coffee maybe be subjective (wrote about it a few months ago and many replies stated such) but the coffee on the Jewel was absolutely dreadful and I have been sailing on NCL for over 12 years. I don't know what happened but it was dreadful. I, too, will bring Via on my next trip and just get cups of hot water from the buffet. I think NCL must have bought tons of subgrade coffee. Pity because I always thought their coffee was great.

Haven't been on NCL yet but the coffee on Princess is pretty bad -- it's made from a syrup. You can buy a coffee card to get fresh brewed.

Janette

Yup--it was pretty lousy on Epic last year, too. We ended up buying some in port in Italy to make in our cabin coffee maker. I thought the worst of it was in Le Bistro, actually--you'd think they'd know how to use their french press pots to make something that really caps off a wonderful meal, but it was abysmal. :(

Starbucks VIA is the perfect solution! I am amazed every time I make a cup! It's expensive as far as instant coffees go, but by far the best one out there.

NESCAFÉ CLASICO is made in Mexico and has a more robust flavor. It's a good second choice for instant.

Only balconys and above have coffee markers.

I had an ocean view on both the Star and the Gem, with no coffee maker. A call to the Hotel Director, extension 8888, got me one within an hour. You need to bring your own coffee and filters--a piece of paper towel can double for a filter. You need a filter for a 5 cup coffee maker. Bringing your own coffee is vital-the coffee supplied with the coffee maker was subpar.

Just got back from Bermuda on the Dawn...the coffee was dreadful, but excellent in the Java Cafe. They have freshly ground Italian coffee there, and it was so good. $1.75 gets you a cafe Americano, while the latte's are a bit more. We had an in room coffee maker(we were in a mini suite), but that was pretty bad as well.

Yup--it was pretty lousy on Epic last year, too. We ended up buying some in port in Italy to make in our cabin coffee maker. I thought the worst of it was in Le Bistro, actually--you'd think they'd know how to use their french press pots to make something that really caps off a wonderful meal, but it was abysmal. :(

Totally agree about the French Press coffee but we had it in Cagney's. It was always cold, grounds in the cup, etc. I finally asked for my coffee in an insulated pot and it was acceptable. May be bringing the VIA this time around.

Yes we love the food on NCL but it has the worst coffee of any restaurant ever. Not sure why. It would be fine if the coffee was average or just ok but it is plain bad.

There are simple rules for serving coffee. The restaurant manager needs to step in to correct this coffee. Do you know coffee will burn after 15 mintues if left on a burner? Never mix old coffee with new coffee. These simple rules keep coffee tasting fresh even if you use cheap brand coffee.

Fine restaruants will never serve coffee that is old or reheated.

The coffee I just got from the break room at work here is pretty bad. Guess where I'd rather be right now complaining about bad coffee? :D

Agree, as stated. :p

I, too, would like to be suffering a crappy cup of coffee, while sitting in the Great Outdoors watching the world sail by.

I'm stuck home, though. :cool:

Between RCI and NCL, yes - the NCL coffee is weak & taste worst than served at McDonald chains (although the ones in Hawaii seemed better - local sourcing ?) and on par with those served in legacy airlines like UA/CO - victims of cost cutting & rising commodity prices ...

For them, coffee is brewed mess hall style, in huge 50 cup sizes or whatever, and the taste turned sour after 15 minutes - even if you used premium, freshly grounded beans (which we all know, they don't)

Instead of those pricey Via packets (and we aren't into the Starbuck hype - Dunkin Donut's coffee has been around way before someone discovered it in Seattle) - we always travel with a supply of Nescafe, Maxwell House instant 3-in-1 mix, hot piping water (5 to 6 oz. vs. 8 oz. as suggested for a stronger brew) and it's ready to be enjoyed - far more cost effective, at less than 25 cents a cup. These 3-in-1 mix are hard to find sometimes, but you can find them in most Asian supermarket store's shelves, along with imported brands from South Asia like Vietnam & Malaysia.

Nothing, compared well, to our own French Vietnamese-style coffee, dripped using expresso grounded beans with condensed milk, hot or over poured ice.

I just got off the Jewel and actually was surprised how OK the coffee was. Notice I didn't say "great." I expected weak coffee, like I remembered from our last Carnival cruise in 2010, and was pleasantly surprised to find decent coffee on board the Jewel.

As someone mentioned, you get some kind of coffee setup if you're in a balcony or better cabin. The balcony rooms have just a water-heating urn with tea and instant coffee packets, vitrually worthless if you like real coffee. I guess the french press would make it worth something. I think if you're in a suite or something upscale, you get a real coffeemaker.

Jim

Among the best things about our upsell forward penthouse on the Jewel Pacific Coastal repo last month were the espresso machine in the room and the French press coffee in Cagney's. However, the first pot of coffee at 6 a.m. in the Blue Lagoon was very good as well. We are at best mid-level coffee snobs: only fresh-ground beans at home but too cheap to pay the scary prices at that ubiquitous chain whose name rhymes with farbucks.

Between RCI and NCL, yes - the NCL coffee is weak & taste worst than served at McDonald chains (although the ones in Hawaii seemed better - local sourcing ?) and on par with those served in legacy airlines like UA/CO - victims of cost cutting & rising commodity prices ...

For them, coffee is brewed mess hall style, in huge 50 cup sizes or whatever, and the taste turned sour after 15 minutes - even if you used premium, freshly grounded beans (which we all know, they don't)

Instead of those pricey Via packets (and we aren't into the Starbuck hype - Dunkin Donut's coffee has been around way before someone discovered it in Seattle) - we always travel with a supply of Nescafe, Maxwell House instant 3-in-1 mix, hot piping water (5 to 6 oz. vs. 8 oz. as suggested for a stronger brew) and it's ready to be enjoyed - far more cost effective, at less than 25 cents a cup. These 3-in-1 mix are hard to find sometimes, but you can find them in most Asian supermarket store's shelves, along with imported brands from South Asia like Vietnam & Malaysia.

Nothing, compared well, to our own French Vietnamese-style coffee, dripped using expresso grounded beans with condensed milk, hot or over poured ice.

I prefer Mcdonalds coffee to NCL's coffe.. the McCafe stuff is actually pretty good...My favorite coffee is what I have at home:D Illy is quite good :D

Maybe it's changed but I liked the coffee on the Sky in 2010. Don't much care for Starbucks Via, but it will do in a pinch. Now that I've cut my consumption down to two cups of caffienated a day it's not as big of a deal.

The coffee I just got from the break room at work here is pretty bad. Guess where I'd rather be right now complaining about bad coffee? :D

Lol, I'm with you there Colin!!:D

Although, as a British tea-drinker........maybe I'll have more luck on my Epic trip........what do you think? ;)

I am wondering how many of those who complain about NCL coffee have sailed on Princess? Their coffee is truly awful.

NCL have the bean-grinding machine in the buffet which produces a reasonable cup of coffee. I find Starbucks pretty grim - I would always go for Costa or Caffe Nero in UK.

Archived