Carnival Screening for Ebola

winddawn

I just received an email from Carnival stating that they are implementing a screening process for Ebola.

"We know there has been considerable media coverage about the Ebola virus, which has raised concerns among the public in general. We'd like to take this opportunity to provide you some important information in an effort to ease any concerns you may have.

At Carnival Cruise Lines, the safety, health and welfare of our guests, crew, and staff is always our number one priority. Therefore, we have implemented strict screening and boarding procedures following collaboration with federal and international health authorities.

At embarkation, all guests, visitors, and crew boarding our vessels must complete a mandatory health screening questionnaire prior to embarking. Those individuals who answer positively to any of the screening questions will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

As part of our screening process, guests are asked to disclose if they have visited or traveled through countries with a US CDC Level 3 Travel Warning (any of the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and/or Guinea). Guests must also disclose if within 21 days of their cruise departure date they have been in contact with, or helped care for someone known or suspected to have the Ebola virus, or is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Ebola. Any individual who answers positively will be denied boarding.

Carnival and other cruise lines continue to monitor the situation closely, along with Cruise Lines International Association and our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. We remain in close contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for updates and guidance. Guests seeking more information on Ebola can visit the World Health Organization's website at www.who.int or the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation in our efforts to safeguard our guests and crew.

Most importantly, we look forward to having you sail with us."

Actually, am glad Carnival is doing this to protect itself, its passengers, and its crew. However, I wonder how many people will answer the questions truthfully. Then you will get the people here who feel it is against their rights for Carnival to ask these and take the action they feel they need to.

100% glad they are doing this. I know people can lie, but there is only so much Carnival can do. One good thing, with the need for passports on many cruises it will show where you traveled.

I absolutely agree with them doing this and it will also help them avoid a lot of litigation in the future. It will put most of the blame for medical issues right on the passengers that choose to lie.

The majority of their itineraries do not require passports.

Edited by Bookbug53

Considering the Carnival demographic, I wonder how many Carnival cruisers visit West Africa on a regular basis.

I live about 20 or so miles from a major shipping port where 7 ships have docked in the last 30 days from W. Africa. I have 2 cruises booked in the next 7 months. Those crew members are allowed off the ships after being screened by the Coast Guard. I know my risk of exposure is low, but it only takes one person to get this thing rolling. Successive outbreaks in Africa have generally been worse than previous ones. We need a vaccine and we need effective treatments, not screening and isolation. At this point in time, screening, isolation, and experimental treatments are all we have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Considering the Carnival demographic, I wonder how many Carnival cruisers visit West Africa on a regular basis.

As the recent event on Carnival demonstrated, the potential for a cruise being impacted may not come from someone who has actually visited a West Africa region. Disease knows no borders. As open as the U.S. borders are, it would seem much more likely that the source would be by other means.

We leave a week from tomorrow and we haven't received anything.

Sharon

This is exactly why I thought it appropriate to share this information. If I were arriving very soon for my cruise, I would want to be aware in advance of potential boarding delays.

100% glad they are doing this. I know people can lie, but there is only so much Carnival can do. One good thing, with the need for passports on many cruises it will show where you traveled.

majority of cruise passengers in US use birth certificates and drivers license

Thanks for the warning. Please share how it goes tomorrow when you board. I leave in two weeks on the Magic. Carnival should create an option on there online check in to fill this out 24 hrs prior to arriving or prepare to wait and do it. Last thing I want to think about as I board is everyone's medical health. I want to leave those thoughts on the taxi ride over. Once I step foot on that ship , cares fade quickly. Nothing you can do about anything once you you set sail. 15 to days and counting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition to mandatory health form and those that may not be fully truthful, I would like to see for now the use of temperature scanning of foreheads like at the five US airports being done. Cannot be any slower as already in line for sign n' sail card. This would also potentially pick up other illness worth a second questioning like a flu.

I live about 20 or so miles from a major shipping port where 7 ships have docked in the last 30 days from W. Africa. I have 2 cruises booked in the next 7 months. Those crew members are allowed off the ships after being screened by the Coast Guard. I know my risk of exposure is low, but it only takes one person to get this thing rolling. Successive outbreaks in Africa have generally been worse than previous ones. We need a vaccine and we need effective treatments, not screening and isolation. At this point in time, screening, isolation, and experimental treatments are all we have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But there's no money for Big Pharma to develop a vaccine that will only be used every couple of years in a third world country.

Only if Carnival will refund ALL travel expanse if they are not allowed to board.

Unless you have family or business there, I doubt there are very few cruisers from any line that visit on a "regular" basis.