Too big a difference bewtween Solistice and Millenium ?

scotslizzy

We have cruised with Celebrity for all most recent cruises alwys on Solstice class Ships. We are now considering a cruise in Aisa Feb 2015 on Millenium.

I appreciate that the Ships have been updated to include thr Martini Bar etc. But are there still major differences between the class and style onboard?

Kind Regards

Scotslizzy

We have cruised with Celebrity for all most recent cruises alwys on Solstice class Ships. We are now considering a cruise in Aisa Feb 2015 on Millenium.

I appreciate that the Ships have been updated to include thr Martini Bar etc. But are there still major differences between the class and style onboard?

Kind Regards

Scotslizzy

Hi

We have hust come back from a B2B Asia cruise on Millenium. We have no experience of the Solstice class ships, but, the PAX we spoke to on board who had been on them, stated that they found Millie to be more dated with less "sparkle", but have to say it may be dated but was kept in good condition. We were in Aqua class which involved Blu restaurant which was very hit and miss as the kitchen was shared with the MDR unlike the Solstice class

which was a dedicated kitchen. Again the other PAX found Blu and the service generally to be superior on Solstice class. For the Indonesia leg we were on deck 11 which leaked through the balcony door (1104) when it rained (apparently it was rainy season!!) and was told all the cabins on that floor were like that. on the second leg we were on deck 9 with its huge overhang and cabins that had seen better days to those on deck 11. Again its personal preference, but we found it a bit too enclosed and if in Aqua again, would go down to deck 8. We found the staff very pleasant and happy to be there. We would go on Millie again if price/itinerary are right but not in Aqua class We are looking to go Solstice class after comments that we heard

Hope this helps a little

Adrian

For a special and more exotic itinerary, I don't think the ship is as important as on a Caribbean cruise. The ports are the stars, and the ship is secondary. I would not hesitate for one second to cruise Millennium on that itinerary.

For a special and more exotic itinerary, I don't think the ship is as important as on a Caribbean cruise. The ports are the stars, and the ship is secondary. I would not hesitate for one second to cruise Millennium on that itinerary.
I agree M class ships can use ports that the S class can't. If everything was equal I would pick an S class. Last year I did the Antarctic cruise on Infinity and it was a wonderful experience. Edited by FLACRUISER99

I have been on both ships. What I can say is its hard to compare apples and oranges. I personally try not to compare because I look at each cruise independently. I want each cruise to be different. I have heard people saying their cruise is ruined because they dont like green bedspreads. I can tell you this I really cant remember what color the bedspread was. What I can remember are the other passengers I met good or bad, how wonderful the crew was, the ports of call. Yes, the Solstice is newer and bigger, IMO that is not always better. I was on the Millie to Alaska last May, it was wonderful. Martini Bar is a little smaller but same ambiance. I think the T-pool on the M class ships is way better.

I would pick the ship based on where you want to travel. With either ship I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Norma

We were 37 days on Millennium in April/May last year. We were in AQ and we thought the service in Blu was better than Eclipse. The staterooms in AQ are newer than the rest of the ship having been added when she was solsticized. We also had the two best room stewards we have ever had on any cruise. Yes, it si less glitzy than the S class.....no lawn, no glass show, but you have the T pool. I say go for it and enjoy Asia.

Edited by YVR cruiser

I am hoping to get more comment on this thread as we booked our first Aqua class room next May 12 on the Millenium to do a 10 night round trip Vancouver up into Alaska. Sounded so awesome to stay on the ship for 10 days and not 7. The price was right for Aqua class and I got a cabin on deck 11, the newer cabins. Although the post by lexdisic scared me off a little.

I am going to get rain inside our cabin??? Doesn't sound good.

Should I back down to a regular balcony room and use the extra $400.00 it cost for an Aqua class (which I thought was a really good price) towards eating in specialty restaurants, etc. instead?

Any more thoughts out there?

I have been on both ships. What I can say is its hard to compare apples and oranges. I personally try not to compare because I look at each cruise independently. I want each cruise to be different. I have heard people saying their cruise is ruined because they dont like green bedspreads. I can tell you this I really cant remember what color the bedspread was. What I can remember are the other passengers I met good or bad, how wonderful the crew was, the ports of call. Yes, the Solstice is newer and bigger, IMO that is not always better. I was on the Millie to Alaska last May, it was wonderful. Martini Bar is a little smaller but same ambiance. I think the T-pool on the M class ships is way better.

I would pick the ship based on where you want to travel. With either ship I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Norma

We also love the T pool on the Millenium class ships .The S class ships just has a fresh water inside pool ;):D.

The itinerary is primary & the ship secondary imo, especially for the far east itineraries ;). If in the Caribbean we can see wanting a S class ;however ,the Millenium class does have other advantages like less people on board.;):)

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate that the journey to the far east and the ports are more important on this cruise, but as a fan of S class ships I am on the fence with this one at the moment .

We have sailed with Oceania and am veering towards them at the moment.

Mmmm...

Scotslizzy

S-class for "wow" factor, sparkle and glitz on larger ship.

M-class for comfort and convenience on smaller ship.

Yup, Practicality vs Glitz.

However we do like the buffet choices on S more than on M but the seating is better on M.

We prefer comfort and convenience of M-class as well but itinerary is more important than choice of ship. For the next year we will be sailing on old and older because of better itineraries.

We much prefer the S Class ships to the M Class....however, we cruise for itinerary, not ship or line, so we end up on M Class about every other cruise because the itineraries are more exotic. M Class ships are lovely, just a little more dated. The S Class features on M Class are very similar to each other, only on a smaller scale. We prefer the Solarium on S Class and enjoy the larger atrium and overall facilities on those ships.

We always cruise Aqua Class. On our first M Class cruise, we were in one of the older rooms, which had been nicely updated in the actual room, but had a very dated bathroom. On our most recent M Class cruise on Infinity, we had an Aqua Class room on the 11th deck. We loved the location due to the proximity to the pool, spa and buffet areas. That section of rooms is like a private suite area. We really enjoyed it. However, the veranda door was a little flimsy and it seemed as if the rooms had been built quickly. However, we wouldn't hesitate to book a room in this section again.

I suggest you choose the itinerary that you prefer whether it's with Celebrity or another cruise line. For us, the ship is the hotel, but the ports are the main attraction.

Michael

I am hoping to get more comment on this thread as we booked our first Aqua class room next May 12 on the Millenium to do a 10 night round trip Vancouver up into Alaska. Sounded so awesome to stay on the ship for 10 days and not 7. The price was right for Aqua class and I got a cabin on deck 11, the newer cabins. Although the post by lexdisic scared me off a little.

I am going to get rain inside our cabin??? Doesn't sound good.

Should I back down to a regular balcony room and use the extra $400.00 it cost for an Aqua class (which I thought was a really good price) towards eating in specialty restaurants, etc. instead?

Any more thoughts out there?

Hi Sherry

Dont let my comments of the leaks put you off. When it did leak it was raining hard as it was the rainy season on the leg. When it was just a shower there was no problem. They were in the process of trying to fix the problem in some of the cabins, but I'm not sure how far they got. The cabins on deck 11 were new and in excellent condition certainly compared to the lower decks.

Adrian

I've been in AQ on the S class but not the M class. The ships are really different so the experience really isn't apples to apples. The S class, to me, is far superior. But I like new and big. Buffet is so much nicer too.

Last time I was on an M class they didn't have AQ yet so I cannot comment on the changes. But, I love the T pool and would book almost just for that. Sure wish the new ships had it.

I'd be interested to see how the M class is now that they changed them but honestly, I liked them they way there were. Another item is how good are they maintained? An older ship can be really nice or really ratty.

But the Millennium was a very nice ship and we've sailed on her a couple of times. As much as I like the S class I wouldn't hesitate to take the Millennium again.

enjoy,

We have cruised on one S-class ship (the Eclipse) and one M-class (the Infinity). While the M-class ship did not have the "wow" factor of the S-class, there were some things I preferred about the M-class: the smaller size; having three sets of elevators/stairs rather than two; the much more comfortable seating in the theatre (sort of like banquettes rather than traditional theatre seats, very comfy for a couple); and a "promenade" deck where the view of the water was not blocked by life boats.

Some of the things I prefer about the S-class -- the "wow" factor of the atrium and the multi-deck glass elevators; the set up of the buffet, more open and with separate stations (the Infinity buffet design was obsolete high school cafeteria); the solarium (I guess I'm in the minority in not liking the T-pool on the M-class).

I would cruise on either class of ship again, depending on the itinerary. As it happens, our next cruise is on the Silhouette, a westbound TA that we picked because of the pre-crossing itinerary.