Reasons to Cruise

summer slope

That sounds like ANY vacation at a nice resort! Unpack once, plenty of towels, no housework/cooking/schedule....

Plop that nice resort on a ship in the ocean and I'm with ya! It's being on the water.....the relaxation. And the water......

Edited by Diver2014

We cruise for the itinerary. As others have said its a great way to see the world in a short amount of time (for us it has been cruises to Alaska, Med, Baltic and Norway fjords). We can then decide if and where to return for a land vacation for more in depth exploration. Also, it is the perfect oceanfront room (cabin). I love just staring at the ocean.

You are so right.....I would love to see more of Amsterdam after our brief stay during a river cruise!

We enjoy cruising because of the convenience of everything a few steps away with no hassle of getting lost or dealing with traffic. It truly is a very low stress and restful vacation for us. I also enjoy speaking to the crew and learning about their different backgrounds and all of their adventures living the cruise life.

Being a nurse, another observation I make every cruise that does not pertain to us- it truly seems to be a great way to travel if you have some mobility or health issues. I believe many of the passengers I observed would not have been travelling if cruising was not available.

Most of the above, and add in the time spent beforehand learning about the ports, cities, countries, and regions I'll be visiting. For someone who didn't pay much attention to history in school, I find I really enjoy learning about places I'll be seeing. Hours and hours of joyful anticipation.

Most of the above, and add in the time spent beforehand learning about the ports, cities, countries, and regions I'll be visiting. For someone who didn't pay much attention to history in school, I find I really enjoy learning about places I'll be seeing. Hours and hours of joyful anticipation.

Great point. I could have said this myself (if I'd thought of it) :D

In our case, we watch a lot of ships sail by. It's depressing when you don't have a cruise scheduled and all you do is watch them sail in and out. While it's fun to wave and toot our little air horns, eventually we want to be those people on the boat.

During most of my day at work, I live inside Excel spreadsheets consisting of cells, columns and rows. Sitting on my balcony staring at the sea, the sky and the endless horizon is the antithesis of my daily work life. I feel like it unlocks my mind allowing my vacation to do what it's supposed to do.

It's an easy vacation. Once the decisions of ship and itinerary are made, all you have to do is show up. Some cruiselines are starting to make this harder, making it possible to reserve this-n-that ahead of time. That's okay, it makes the folks who like to plan to the nth degree quite happy to be able to do all that. I prefer to figure it out as I go along.

I love this thread, and I would add:

Dolphins and whales dancing outside the dining room (or cabin) window.
Waves lapping at the Half Moon Cay shore
The spa just steps from my door
Laundry service - just stuff it in a bag and it magically appears later folded in a basket with tissue paper.

I also wanted to say that even though there are SO many excellent reasons to love cruising, my SO thinks they are all lame. His feeling about cruising is: "Been there done that." Serious! I just don't get it... Sigh... but never mind... thank goodness for friends that know what everyone on this thread knows (and the ability to cruise solo if the spirit moves me!)

I'm with most of you here... It's a way to do a lot of things, and see a lot of places with little hassle. Everything you need is all in one place.

One poster mentioned the ability to sample many places and decide if you'd like to come back. That's one thing that I enjoy the most as well... if you go someplace for the day and don't like it as much, you weren't stuck there for a week... on the other hand if you loved it, you can always come back for more.