Hotel Recommendations Boston?

Irishgrl73

Leaving on the Dawn out of Boston at the End of August and was wondering if any one had any recommendations for Hotel near the port.

Get out of Town.:D

Go out side Boston like the 128 belt .

Burlington / Woburn area .

Boston can run $300 plus per night .

You can stay for 1/2 that in the burbs.

I get a town car to the dock for around $75.;)

We stayed at the Doubletree near Umass and the JFK Museum the night before our cruise in May. It was cheap compared to everything else(it was graduation weekend). Very close to the T if you wanted to go into downtown. Big plus they had a free shuttle, from/to airport, south station Amtrak, downtown doubletree, and the cruise port.

Our personal choice is the Westin Boston Waterfront. Its beautiful and very close to the pier… some rooms you can see the ship when you wake up…Its our choice and we love it… Great little bar and they make great mojitos… short cab ride to many attractions…

amazing beds and luxury sheets

downtown vs "burbs".

I would do downtown in a heartbeat. More expensive of course, but no worry about getting to ship in the morning, traffic, etc.

Hope you are getting there in time to see some of the town. Hop on, hop off bus is great.

Visit the PORTS OF CALL - oops... East Coast Departures board here for more info.

I wouldn't discount staying out by the airport, either, especially if you're flying into Logan. It's pretty easy to get to Boston attractions from there, and very easy to get to the port via the Silver Line bus.

Take a look at Mitsugirly's Bermuda Novel. They stayed at the Comfort Inn in Dorchester. There is a free shuttle to the port, and if my memory is correct, it is near the T, so you can go explore Boston if you have time. There would be zero to do along the 128 belt, plus if you are flying in, it's a ways out. Have stayed at Embassy Suites Logan Airport several times, and they might have a shuttle to the port, or would arrange one for you. Decent hotel near the T.

Edited by vince_g

Consider staying in the city --- Boston is just lovely in the summer and early fall, it's a very walkable city with lots of history and great restaurants, and the MBTA system makes it easy to get around if your feet get tired. Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley Place are right in the center of the city, Hotel Commonwealth is near Fenway Park and also centrally located, and as mentioned above the Boston Harbor Hotel looks out on the harbor. The pier is very close to downtown so you wouldn't have far to go. If you haven't been to Boston before, it seems a shame to miss a visit. The cuisine is excellent --- lobster everywhere, fresh seafood, authentic Italian food in the North End. If you are arriving late and want to stay at the airport, the Hyatt has floor to ceiling windows in the room and common areas that have a million dollar view of the Boston skyline. Consider looking at Hotwire and Priceline, as long as you bid on downtown you should be OK. The airport and pier are both a short cab ride from downtown --- as the last poster said, you will find lower rates outside of the city but transportation costs will eat up some of the difference.

PS--- If you do stay in the city, consider a Duck Tour. It's a hoot.

Edited by cynbar

We (group of 4) are staying at the Millennium Bostonian Hotel downtown. Altho it is pricey; I don't think I could get that close to such a great city & not want to be in the 'hub'. We arrive early morning pre cruise day (9AM) and hope to spend many hours exploring the downtown area. We are all so excited for the cruise but also to see some of Boston.

Cheers,

Sandy

Consider staying in the city --- Boston is just lovely in the summer and early fall, it's a very walkable city with lots of history and great restaurants, and the MBTA system makes it easy to get around if your feet get tired. Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley Place are right in the center of the city, Hotel Commonwealth is near Fenway Park and also centrally located, and as mentioned above the Boston Harbor Hotel looks out on the harbor. The pier is very close to downtown so you wouldn't have far to go. If you haven't been to Boston before, it seems a shame to miss a visit. The cuisine is excellent --- lobster everywhere, fresh seafood, authentic Italian food in the North End. If you are arriving late and want to stay at the airport, the Hyatt has floor to ceiling windows in the room and common areas that have a million dollar view of the Boston skyline. Consider looking at Hotwire and Priceline, as long as you bid on downtown you should be OK. The airport and pier are both a short cab ride from downtown --- as the last poster said, you will find lower rates outside of the city but transportation costs will eat up some of the difference.

PS--- If you do stay in the city, consider a Duck Tour. It's a hoot.

Hi Cynbar:

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for seafood restaurants near the Millennium Bostonian Hotel? You seem to have your finger on the pulse of the downtown area; so I thought it would be a safe bet to ask:)

Cheers

Sandy

Hi Cynbar:

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for seafood restaurants near the Millennium Bostonian Hotel? You seem to have your finger on the pulse of the downtown area; so I thought it would be a safe bet to ask:)

Cheers

Sandy

Looks like you have a ton of choices: click here

Take a look at Mitsugirly's Bermuda Novel. They stayed at the Comfort Inn in Dorchester. There is a free shuttle to the port, and if my memory is correct, it is near the T, so you can go explore Boston if you have time. There would be zero to do along the 128 belt, plus if you are flying in, it's a ways out. Have stayed at Embassy Suites Logan Airport several times, and they might have a shuttle to the port, or would arrange one for you. Decent hotel near the T.

We had a nice stay at this Comfort Inn hotel in Dorchester. It was highly recommend it. The service was great and the shuttle service was good. It was pretty cheap compared to the other places we looked at too. :)

We thoroughly enjoyed the Seaport Boston Hotel. It is one of the 3 that are close to the port. Check out their reviews. It was an easy walk, in a pleasant area, with lots of restaurants and bars nearby. They had a wonderful breakfast buffet.

Leaving on the Dawn out of Boston at the End of August and was wondering if any one had any recommendations for Hotel near the port.

We, along with many from our roll call, are staying at the Best Western, Quincy. They have a shuttle to the port and we have arranged to leave our vehicle there while on our cruise.

Rates are very reasonable compared to downtown and airport hotels.

Hi Cynbar:

Cheers

Sandy

The No Name restaurant on Boston's fish pier is hard to find , but well worth the search.:D

Hi Cynbar:

Cheers

Sandy

Yes, Union Oyster House is a good choice, lots of history along with good food. Actually, I think it's pretty hard to find a restaurant in Boston that doesn't do a good job on its seafood, they won't stay in business long if they don't. If you like lobster, find a place that serves a lobster roll for lunch -- delicious !Clam chowder is a staple here, and every place makes it a little differently. Also, you'll be pretty close to the North End, take a stroll over to see the Old North Church (where the lanterns were hung for Paul Revere, "one if by land and two if by sea", so he could alert the countryside to how the British were invading.) The Italian restaurants and pizza there are phenomenal, but even if you're not there for a meal, stop into Mike's Pastries on the main drag of Hanover Street for some of the best cannolis and Italian treats you'll ever find.

We had a nice stay at this Comfort Inn hotel in Dorchester. It was highly recommend it. The service was great and the shuttle service was good. It was pretty cheap compared to the other places we looked at too. :)

AS A Local !!

I would Not recommend Dorchester !!

Just this morning the news has one more gun battle between a group of teens and the cops on Dorchesters Bowdian St.

Actually the whole area south of I 90 is sketchy .

AS A Local !!

I would Not recommend Dorchester !!

Just this morning the news has one more gun battle between a group of teens and the cops on Dorchesters Bowdian St.

Actually the whole area south of I 90 is sketchy .

Having originally hailed from the Boston area, I would whole heartedly agree with staying in the downtown core of Dorchester. However, this hotel is NOT IN THAT AREA. It is close to the highway (for good or bad), provides free shuttle from the airport, free shuttle to the cruise port, free shuttle to the JFK T station (for getting into downtown Boston for exploring), free breakfast and free Wi-Fi.

With that being said, I have found this Comfort Inn to be a great bargain for one or two pre-cruise nights in Boston and totally agree with Kim (mitsugirly) on this.

Having originally hailed from the Boston area, I would whole heartedly agree with staying in the downtown core of Dorchester. However, this hotel is NOT IN THAT AREA. It is close to the highway (for good or bad), provides free shuttle from the airport, free shuttle to the cruise port, free shuttle to the JFK T station (for getting into downtown Boston for exploring), free breakfast and free Wi-Fi.

With that being said, I have found this Comfort Inn to be a great bargain for one or two pre-cruise nights in Boston and totally agree with Kim (mitsugirly) on this.

No!Wrong !

If you are from the area you dang well know a couple wrong turns and a few block your in a real bad area .

Dorchester / Mattapan area did not a GUN SHOT DETECTION SYSTEM for heck of it .

http://www.shotspotter.com/news/article/boston-mass-police-unveil-new--real-time--tech-center

It is wrong to send An Innocent Tourist with rose colored glasses on to wonder around here.

Ohh Ya TMZ Sez on of the kids shootin at the cops there this morning is " a good kid from Hollywood "

Edited by biker@sea

No!Wrong !

If you are from the area you dang well know a couple wrong turns and a few block your in a real bad area .

Dorchester / Mattapan area did not a GUN SHOT DETECTION SYSTEM for heck of it .

http://www.shotspotter.com/news/article/boston-mass-police-unveil-new--real-time--tech-center

It is wrong to send An Innocent Tourist with rose colored glasses on to wonder around here.

Ohh Ya TMZ Sez on of the kids shootin at the cops there this morning is " a good kid from Hollywood "

You are correct, you do not want to venture into downtown Dorchester. However, even downtown Boston would qualify as "dangrous" as far as what you're saying - a few wrong turns, a few blocks in the wrong direction would land you in the "Combat Zone" and NOBODY wants to go there.

I just think you miss so much of the flavor of Boston if you stay in Quincy or Dorchester. Both places could be anywhere, and I do think they are more unsafe than the tourist areas of downtown. If your goal is to arrive late, go into your hotel and sleep, then head right for the port the next morning, then it would be OK. But for those coming from far away, it's a golden chance to soak up the atmosphere and scenery and history of a world class city. If cost is a concern, work the hotel and last minute internet sites and look for the best deal. But in my opinion at least, the extra cost is well worth it.

Of course, if you have a little more time, there are other options a little further afield. We are down on Cape Cod, about an hour and fifteen minutes south of the city, and this is a world class vacation spot (if I do say so myself.) Other options, too ---- Plymouth is maybe 45 minutes south of the city, cheaper than downtown with a lot of history (think Pilgrims) and beaches and restaurants. Lots of choices.

Edited by cynbar

You are correct, you do not want to venture into downtown Dorchester. However, even downtown Boston would qualify as "dangrous" as far as what you're saying - a few wrong turns, a few blocks in the wrong direction would land you in the "Combat Zone" and NOBODY wants to go there.

The "combat zone" is long gone. Downtown crossing is a huge construction site of new million $$ condos. Any big city has places you don't want to wander in late at night, but most of the hotel areas in Boston are fine. You'd have to never leave your house to avoid all possible crime. Mitsugirly had a great experience in Dorchester, your mileage my vary. For just a night before a cruise I'd look at the areas just north of the airport in East Boston or Revere. For more money, a new hotel, the Envoy, just opened on Seaport Blvd. two Silverline stops from the pier. Rack rate is $415 but there could be some deals on hotel sites.