New to cruising...ANY info/help?

j&gcola9587

Hello. I recently joined. My wife and I are FINALLY going on a cruise in November, RCI Anthem of the Seas. I've read a lot of comments about this particular ship (positive & negative) and will take them all into consideration. Since it's our first cruise we will go in with an open mind and make our own determinations after. If anyone has any pointers/tips for "rookies":D they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello. I recently joined. My wife and I are FINALLY going on a cruise in November, RCI Anthem of the Seas. I've read a lot of comments about this particular ship (positive & negative) and will take them all into consideration. Since it's our first cruise we will go in with an open mind and make our own determinations after. If anyone has any pointers/tips for "rookies":D they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The first thing you may want to do is to check out the roll call for your cruise. Click HERE to find your roll call. Next there are several threads in this First Time cruisers where you will find a large number of first timer tips ranging from pre-cruise and packing all the way to disembarcation.The most enjoyable part of going on your first cruise is the planning and anticipation.

Edited by Host Walt

I would suggest you arrive at the port in Bayonne about 11 am, 11:30 the latest. At that time there should be no, or little, traffic back log dropping off luggage and parking vehicles. Check in and then relax in the terminal until boarding begins. Once on the ship, despite how appealing it is to explore the ship, first go to eat lunch either in the Windjammer buffet or whichever restaurant you like. Then after lunch, explore the ship. Your cabin will not be immediately ready, so whatever baggage you personally carry on, you will have to lug around until cabins are ready.

On Anthem, some activities and entertainment should be pre booked such as North Star and production shows. If you cant do it before sail date, attempt to make some reservations when you first board. Any dining issues are also best addressed when first boarding. Guest services had very long lines on boarding day when I sailed Anthem so head there early and/or have patience.

Being your first cruise, you have nothing to compare it to and I am sure despite whatever negative comments or even positive ones, you will have an enjoyable time. There is much to see and do on Anthem, enjoy it all. The solarium is adults only and has small terraced pools and there is even a swing in there. Be sure to spend some time on deck 5 outside where it is much quieter than the pool deck.

I suggest you also post on the Royal Caribbean board as you will get help from many who have sailed Anthem.

You will receive in your cabin lots of notices and other paper work. Be sure to look at each and every one before saving it or committing it to the round file.

On one cruise my Wife stuck a time change notice into her save pile without looking at it or telling me. We were lucky, only missed our assigned dinner time.

Bob

Even I am having my first cruising and looking for the tips for the better and safe journey. This is something I came to know while on my search about the cruising, https://www.blountsmallshipadventures.com/booking/ways-to-save/. I hope this may help you get an idea for saving in a better way. Also, I had heard about insurance for travelling but I don't have any clear idea about it. If I got any further information, I will share it here.:)

Even I am having my first cruising and looking for the tips for the better and safe journey. ... I had heard about insurance for travelling but I don't have any clear idea about it. If I got any further information, I will share it here.:)

There is an insurance forum on Cruise Critic where you can get lots of help.

Also, the folks at insuremytrip.com are very good at helping to get the best policy. Even if you don't choose complete coverage, at least get medical and evacuation insurance.

pay close attention as to what time you have to be back on the ship while in port - and don't use your cell phone as a clock...sometimes it will be wrong. You don't won't to be a pier runner!

regarding your cell phone be sure and check with your provider on how to avoid large roaming fees.

Have fun!

Hi,

Anthem is a fabulous ship, you will both love it.

When you check-in on-line, upload photos of both of you, it makes it easier when you get to the terminal. Also you can book shows on-line, try Spectres Cabaret it's really good.

270 is a good place to have breakfast and lunch.

Pete

Don't EVER pay full price for your future cruises. :confused:

Many people still think (incorrectly) that travel agencies can NOT offer cruises at discounted prices below those advertised by the cruise lines.

Search for discounted cruises, annual firecracker sale, 90 day ticker, or last minute cruise deals... and save a bundle! :cool: :) ;)

Edited by teecee60

- Our ONLY negative on Anthem last June was dining. Mind you, this is just our opinion but we didn't enjoy Dynamic Dining much, so we're heading to a smaller ship next year that does traditional.

- The ship's library is always desolate, particularly from the 2nd to last day of the cruise. There's books for you to trade and keep (an honesty thing). A great place to get away from people!

- You'll be hounded by clerks handing you flyers in the promenade area where all the shops are located. We got into the habit of avoiding that area as much as we could. We're just not into shopping for cheap watches.

- Do the bumper cars, make sure you try the hot dogs nearby, they are fantastic!

- The food was delicious!!!

- Get into the habit of walking a lot - you can walk completely around the main deck anytime. I actually LOST weight on board.

Have a fantastic time!

Just a few "safety" precautions: Make a copy of your documents including any tours you booked with outside vendors, hotels, car rentals, passports and credit cards (back and front) and email all of it to yourself. That way you ALWAYS have access to it should it get lost or stolen. First thing after you get to your cabin, put your passport, extra medications, car keys, extra credit cards, etc. in a zip- lock baggie in the safe. The inside of the safe is black and it's easy to miss small items when you get ready to leave the ship. Also, were the unthinkable happen and you were to miss the ship at a port, the ship will get these things out of your safe and give them to Port Authority for you to retrieve. The phone number for each Port Authority is on your daily Compass. Either carry the Compass off the ship or the number, in case of emergency. Make a copy of your itinerary, ship's name and number and put your cell phone number on an 8 x 11 sheet of paper on top in your luggage. That way, if you and your luggage get separated, they know who and where you are and can "reunite" you easier. Take a photo of you with the luggage you check at the dock. Take a carry on with a swimsuit so you can enjoy the pool before your cabin is accessible and your luggage arrives. Take a deep breath, grab some lunch and a drink and enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good advice on here.

Take comfortable clothes especially for sea days. Shorts and a Tee shirt with comfortable flip flops. Take some nice clothes for elegant night and a nice picture. Get at least one or two pictures but not all of them.

Take sunscreen and use it. Some sea sickness medications or patches if you are susceptible to motion sickness.

In port you can get most excursions the ship offers and at a lower price. Don't be afraid to explore on your own. Don't be afraid you will look like a tourist, you will. We all do. Be aware of your surroundings but most ports of call are fairly safe. Leave valuables on the ship in the safe. Be friendly to the locals. Learn something about the ports or lands you are visiting before you go.

Don't pay for a massage on the ship. Go to the beach and get one. Will be less expensive and you will enjoy it more.

Relax, meet as many new people as you can, and enjoy it.

I worried about this before my first cruise too, and I didn't need to. You don't need special knowledge to cruise. From the moment you get on the ship, you will be in a first-class floating hotel with wonderful service, food and staff, and more activities and shows/entertainments than you can pack into every day. Plus, in the ports, you can see parts of the world you've never seen just by getting off for a few hours and walking around.

There are a bajillion tips and ideas for every aspect of a cruise vacation. But honestly, just pack up your stuff (not too much), and bring some small bills for tipping the deserving staff.

My only tip is this. Avoid the professional complainers. They will carp about the food, the service, the shows and the staff. Move away from these people as fast as you can. If they want to spend their cruise finding fault and being dissatisfied, that's on them. Don't let the whiners take up your time.

Have a great cruise! You will.

Hello j&g. that's a great attitude to your first cruise, just relax and enjoy yourselves. May you soon discover that cruising is the best way to holiday. Happy cruising. :)