Rumor- Viking Crown On Some Ships May Go Away

If they want more revenue .. try raising cruise fares. I am paying the same for a cruise today that I paid 20 years ago.

The cruise and airline industries try to keep fares artificially low and then charge you for all the extras. Sorry but I am really tired of this approach.

Everything else I buy .. car, boat, food, gas, entertainment, etc .. all costs way more than it did 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

the bar is not always opened so if you wanted a drink, you had to go down to the pool deck and bring it back up. I saw a few people come sit down, realize there was no bar service and then leave.

We see this all the time, and don't understand why the VC bar never seems to be open in the morning or afternoon. It's our favorite place to spend the day, but having to always go to the pool or schooner bars to get a drink gets old, enough so that we often don't make the return trip back to the VC, instead deciding to stay wherever we got the drink. It's like they are sabotaging its own chances for success.

It's one of my favorite spots :(. Sit up there, sip a drink, enjoy the view of the waves and the people walking/playing below. Being able to see the front of the ship move up and down.

I agree though, it doesn't seem to be appreciated that way by everyone and is rarely full.

VCL is our favorite spot on Royal ships and sets it apart from other cruise lines. This used to be a signature feature of their ships.

We will really be disappointed if they eliminate or limit access to this area.

Decisions like this will make it easier to choose Princess.

Hi,

I feel the same way and don't like many of the changes that are occurring (Dynamic Dining, etc.). I have one Royal Caribbean cruise booked, but this probably will be my last Royal Caribbean cruise in the foreseeable future. Based on my last few cruises, I prefer Princess.

Chuck

VCL is our favorite spot on Royal ships and sets it apart from other cruise lines. This used to be a signature feature of their ships.

We will really be disappointed if they eliminate or limit access to this area.

I'm going with this.

The VCL has been my "at sea" office for years and if it's gone, I might be too, at least as a regular RCI cruiser.

It was packed every night on the cruise I just got off of on Monday. Where would they host the late night dance parties on the smaller ships? In the Centrum???

On Voyager class and up, I guess they could convert Studio B or one of the larger bar areas to a dance club. The Sphynx comes to mind first.

Radiance Class has a club but it's IN the Viking Lounge.

Vision Class needs to keep the Viking Lounge or they'll have to use the Centrum. There's no other space that can do it, IMO.

I think all we know "for sure" - and that's hardly certain - is that Oasis/Allure are very likely losing VCL as an open public space, and that Quantum class ships just don't seem to have them at all. So future VCL's seem very much in doubt.

But as to the rest of the present fleet - on Voyager class they have been moving the night club function up there, but I don't think anyone has reported that it's closed during the day. On Freedom Class it's the smaller room to make way for the DL, but it's still it's own space. I haven't seen any rumors floated here as to changes on the other classes either that would eliminate the present VCL's. I think a removal of the VCL as a public space across the fleet is not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.

Normally, we enjoy the VCL for before or after dinner drinks and such, or even just a quiet spot to enjoy the view...but on our last cruise with RCI, we were not "allowed" each and every time we attempted to visit because it was always "Closed for Special Event".

Literally each and every day of the cruise, it was closed. We tried random times of the day...4:00 PM, after dinner, late night...always closed for special event. Once we ignored the sign assuming it was a mistake and someone forgot to take the sign down...but nope! We were asked to leave if we weren't part of the event. I have no idea if some large group snagged the lounge the entire cruise, but it was the strangest thing. Very annoying.

So maybe they are phasing them out on some ships?? This was on the Mariner.

It would be a shame to get rid of a signature element of their ships. You can always look for the "flying saucer" to spot an RCL ship.

If it's not used enough, they just need to do a better job with programming activities and events.

If it is no longer a signature they won't need to Chop them off when they take them out of service

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I've had it with the senseless rumors. 10 months ago people were touting the changes that were rumored to be taking place to the various loyalty levels. Some were even guaranteeing the changes would come in January.

Guess what? Nothing happened.

I like the idea of this. Royal needs to up their game regarding suite perks to keep pace with other cruise lines. A speciality restaurant exclusively for suite guests is a reasonable perk. Next step might be a butler. If I pay 4 or 5 times what others pay for the same cruise should not I not expect a greater level of service?

That's funny coming from a cruise line that makes you pay for deck space and a lounger. And don't forget Rccl for the most part has some very high space ratios compared to other mass market lines. Princess newer ships, Caribbean, Ruby, Emerald etc space ratio -36. Regal/Royal-39. Oasis/ Allure 41. Freedom class-44. Maybe Rccl has some space to give up.

And I completely agree that the Vcl was way under used. The only time people are up there is before dinner....

I don't or can't pay for suites but have you seen those prices..... let em have their own restaurant. ....:D

It's not just Rccl......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app