Cruise Critic at its best

It seems to me that CC is very useful for several purposes:

1. To "meet" people with whom you may soon be cruising, and to re-connect with past cruise mates.

2. To obtain information about a cruise line, ship, and/or cabin at a level of detail not available on the line's website or sometimes even through your TA (ranging, for example, from how the muster drill is conducted, to the amount of vibration in a certain cabin, to where to find the hair dryer).

3. To gather information to determine whether a particular line, ship, or specific cruise is right for you.

We all also use it to grouse about certain things, and to praise other things. And this helps with reason #3--much can come to light through the grousing-and-praising process. It's important to remember that what one person is grousing about may be something that is appealing to someone else, and what merits praise from one person may be a negative or even a deal-breaker to someone else. And, often, the grouse or the praise is about something that is a matter of indifference to some. That all of this information is elicited in the process lets us all make better-informed decisions on where to spend our finite travel funds and time.

So, let's all remember that as we comment and discuss, and try to avoid belittling others' perspectives.

And, let's also keep in mind how incredibly privileged we are to be able to access such vacations, whether frequently or as once-in-a-lifetime treat.

1. To "meet" people with whom you may soon be cruising' date=' and to re-connect with past cruise mates.

2. To obtain information about a cruise line, ship, and/or cabin at a level of detail not available on the line's website or sometimes even through your TA (ranging, for example, from how the muster drill is conducted, to the amount of vibration in a certain cabin, to where to find the hair dryer).

3. To gather information to determine whether a particular line, ship, or specific cruise is right for you.

We all also use it to grouse about certain things, and to praise other things. And this helps with reason #3--much can come to light through the grousing-and-praising process. It's important to remember that what one person is grousing about may be something that is appealing to someone else, and what merits praise from one person may be a negative or even a deal-breaker to someone else. And, often, the grouse or the praise is about something that is a matter of indifference to some. That all of this information is elicited in the process lets us all make better-informed decisions on where to spend our finite travel funds and time.

So, let's all remember that as we comment and discuss, and try to avoid belittling others' perspectives.

And, let's also keep in mind how incredibly privileged we are to be able to access such vacations, whether frequently or as once-in-a-lifetime treat.[/quote']

Well said!!!!

1. To "meet" people with whom you may soon be cruising' date=' and to re-connect with past cruise mates.

And, let's also keep in mind how incredibly privileged we are to be able to access such vacations, whether frequently or as once-in-a-lifetime treat.[/quote']

Hear, hear! Thank you for your post; it's good to be reminded.

Thanks, Crystal, for your well-reasoned and reasonable post. It is interesting to note that certain posters do not appear to understand irony when they read it, no?

We look forward to cruising again with you, as we miss both your sense of humor and your sense of irony.

Thank you for this post wishIwercruisin'. You've stated how I have been feeling of late (especially #3) and far more eloquently than I could have.

I go to CC to glean as much information as I can whether it's good or bad. I believe we are all able to read the reviews, comments, complaints and compliments and separate the wheat from the chaff. CC would be nothing more than a propaganda site if all we read about was the good stuff. Personally, I want to hear it all and don't think anyone's opinion or experience should be invalidated just because it's not "your" opinion or experience.

Thanks again for this reminder.

Thank you for this post wishIwercruisin'. You've stated how I have been feeling of late (especially #3) and far more eloquently than I could have.

I go to CC to glean as much information as I can whether it's good or bad. I believe we are all able to read the reviews, comments, complaints and compliments and separate the wheat from the chaff. CC would be nothing more than a propaganda site if all we read about was the good stuff. Personally, I want to hear it all and don't think anyone's opinion or experience should be invalidated just because it's not "your" opinion or experience.

Agree!

Agree. I like to see what posters have to say about their experiences, both good and bad. I don't need repetitive lengthy posts making excuses for why regent couldn't do better, or why regent isn't normally like this, or how all cruise lines are the same when a shortcoming is described.

I also don't need a repeated reminder that I or other posters might be happier on another cruise line. If I'm reading CC I'm probably knowledgeable that other cruise lines exist.

Hearing all sides and all experiences is crucial for this site to work for everyone. If I came on CC and simply said that I didn't like a cruise (food, service, code red or whatever) and no one gave their positive experience, posters would have no choice other that to believe that all cruises may have poor service, etc.

This thread started out so positively -- it is a shame that it is going downhill. Goodness, if someone doesn't like what they are reading, simply don't read it. Problem solved!

Hearing all sides and all experiences is crucial for this site to work for everyone. If I came on CC and simply said that I didn't like a cruise (food, service, code red or whatever) and no one gave their positive experience, posters would have no choice other that to believe that all cruises may have poor service, etc.

This thread started out so positively -- it is a shame that it is going downhill. Goodness, if someone doesn't like what they are reading, simply don't read it. Problem solved!

Ummmm....I'm not sure what you are perceiving that makes you think this thread "is going downhill". All the posts I've read agree that there should be acceptance of everyone's opinions and a tacit agreement to a validation of same.

Ummmm....I'm not sure what you are perceiving that makes you think this thread "is going downhill". All the posts I've read agree that there should be acceptance of everyone's opinions and a tacit agreement to a validation of same.

The post before mine was, once again, trying to tell us what to post or not post. Other than that, it has been a great thread. Didn't mean to imply that the entire thread was going downhill - just that one. Posters need to be free to post opinions, personal experiences, points, counterpoints, etc. The art of debating is about debating a subject - not making it personal. I have great debates with a poster over the years and not one personal slam has been made (thinking of you - wripro - wherever you are today). BarbarianPaul and I had a healthy debate on his recent Viking vs. Regent thread. At the end, neither one of us are upset and our opinions remain different. I have the utmost respect for these CC members. I am just throwing another aspect of how great Cruise Critic can be posters don't slam others.

Edited by Travelcat2

The post before mine was, once again, trying to tell us what to post or not post. Other than that, it has been a great thread. Didn't mean to imply that the entire thread was going downhill - just that one. Posters need to be free to post opinions, personal experiences, points, counterpoints, etc. The art of debating is about debating a subject - not making it personal. I have great debates with a poster over the years and not one personal slam has been made (thinking of you - wripro - wherever you are today). BarbarianPaul and I had a healthy debate on his recent Viking vs. Regent thread. At the end, neither one of us are upset and our opinions remain different. I have the utmost respect for these CC members. I am just throwing another aspect of how great Cruise Critic can be posters don't slam others.

I wish I could talk to you face to face TC as I think it would make a difference but alas I don't have that option.

The prior poster did not in any way suggest "what to post or not post". What he/she said was "I like to see what posters have to say about their experiences, both good and bad." They did go on to speak of excessive excuses by posters for shortcomings which IMO really are not helpful, as I feel it creates a best of the worst scenario. While I wholeheartedly agree there is nothing wrong with a good back and forth, there is a big difference between debating and denigrating.

While I wholeheartedly agree there is nothing wrong with a good back and forth, there is a big difference between debating and denigrating.

I also agree! And because we are reading the written word, it is open to interpretation. I did not interpret the post we discussed the same way you did which is not a big deal except that we need to understand that this type of different interpretation happens all of the time on CC.

In terms of meeting me or anyone else on CC, I have learned that most people are not the same as they seem on CC (and I have met a lot of CC members onboard Regent over the years). In fact, CC is rarely discussed for more than a few minutes on an entire cruise. We have met a lot of really nice people on Regent and CC - even though we tend to stay to ourselves and don't seek out "friends". Interestingly, the very few that CC'ers that we didn't care for seemed pretty nice on CC. Go figure!

WishIwerecruisin' made a very nice attempt to smooth out this board. I had wondered if the "posting hints" sticky should be removed and replaced by the OP's presentation. There should be no reason that anyone should need debating skills to attempt to participate in the discussions here. I would think that there are probably a good amount of CC readers who might like to have something to say but don't bother. Why would this be?