So confused about navigating Venice....

easybay

Hi all - we just booked 7 day Seabourn Venice/Athens for May. So I am trying to do my best to get things figured out FAST.

DH and I are flying into Milan 2 days prior, taking the train to Venice (arriving the day before our cruise). We are staying at the Boscolo Venezia - so after arriving at the train station, I assume we take a water taxi to our hotel? Approximately how much $$ do the cost, how do you pay (cash or credit?) and forgive my ignorance is there water taxi stands?? DH isn't into walking or public transportation - he likes to keep it simple and most direct.

Next question - once again water taxi the next day to the cruise terminal...?? Cost and time? Do we need to prebook? Can we reserve?

Thanks in advance!

As it so happens, we did this last summer - train from Milan to Venice and stayed at the Boscolo Venezia, although we took the vaporetto from the train station, so can't help you with cost for a water taxi. Couldn't remember seeing a taxi stand, so went to my ol' bud Google Street View, and there you are, right as you exit Santa Lucia train station: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.440836,12.321684,3a,75y,137.41h,86.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s2D2zYGZ6qWHVL2zBQ6dZTw!2e0

As for the return trip, I would probably just have the hotel arrange a water taxi.

Twickenham: do you mind giving some more info? Like where did you get on the Vaporetto from the train station? How far were you pulling your bags? (I'm envisioning cobble stones!) How difficult to put your bags into Vaporetto? How crowded? And lastly where did you get off and how far did you walk to your hotel?

Thanks!

The Vaporetto stops are directly in front of the train station. From stepping off the train, to stepping on a Vaporetto is less than two blocks. There are gentle sloping steps in front of the train station, no cobblestones. You simply walk onto the vaporetto. Very easy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Twickenham: do you mind giving some more info? Like where did you get on the Vaporetto from the train station? How far were you pulling your bags? (I'm envisioning cobble stones!) How difficult to put your bags into Vaporetto? How crowded? And lastly where did you get off and how far did you walk to your hotel?

Thanks!

The vaporetto you want to get to the Boscolo is the 4.1 or 5.1, which you catch IIRC at the stop that furthest to the left when standing outside the station looking towards the Grand Canal. While some vaporettos can get pretty crowded, these aren't the main routes used by tourists, so tend to have fewer people (and you'll have fewer people in May anyways, compared to our end-of-July trip). The trip is actually quite neat, as you go around the outside of Venice, and can see Murano across the lagoon in the distance. You'll want to get off at Orto stop, from which it's a flat, easy 5-minute walk to the hotel (you can actually see the back garden from the vaporetto as you come up to the stop - look for the red awning). Now, if you look at Google Street View for this walk, I warn you that it gets a bit wonky in this area - not because of the streets, but because they aren't exactly as shown on the map! But you still can pretty much see the entire walk, quite wide and flat - we're talking flat stones, not rough cobblestones. And the best thing is that it's really not a tourist area - it's a true residential area, and even in July was incredibly quiet! Really, it's a pretty easy trip - if my 60-something mom with the wonky knees can do it with no problems, than I doubt you will have much trouble :).

The water taxi is easier. It will be about 60 Euros for a 5 minute ride. It will take you to the front door of the hotel. Both the water taxi and the Vaporetto leave from directly in front of the train station. The screen shot is in front of the station with a taxi pier on the left and vaporetto stop on the right. cash works Get some Euros from an ATM in Milan or venice.

To the dock - let the hotel tell you how. Water taxi is simplest. Seabourn will probably leave from San Basilio.

Edited by Earl Rosebery

If you're confused now, WAIT UNTIL YOU ARRIVE IN VENICE! You will really be in trouble. Be very careful if walking the alley-ways and by-ways of Venice. It's very easy to become lost. Likewise when boarding a vaporetto be sure to check the number and the direction arrow. We spent 3 days post cruise in Venice and finally the last day became acclimated to their system.

It's funny now to remember our visit, but at the time, it was quite disconcerting to not be able to find where you were or where you wanted to go (maps ARE NOT very accurate). We stopped in the Visitor Office more than once, believe me.

I'm confused as well and hope it's ok to ask my question on this thread. We are three adults and 5 bags (3 carry on and two large suitcases). Arrive via train from Florence on may 2 and will need to get directly to ship. Is it easier to get off the train in Mestre and take a land taxi to NCL Jade or walk/people mover from the Venice train station? From what I'm reading the trains stop in Mestre first and a land taxi can take us directly to the ship for around 25€ thus avoiding dragging our bags over the bridge and the people mover. Is this right? Thanks.

If you're confused now, WAIT UNTIL YOU ARRIVE IN VENICE! You will really be in trouble. Be very careful if walking the alley-ways and by-ways of Venice. It's very easy to become lost. Likewise when boarding a vaporetto be sure to check the number and the direction arrow. We spent 3 days post cruise in Venice and finally the last day became acclimated to their system.

It's funny now to remember our visit, but at the time, it was quite disconcerting to not be able to find where you were or where you wanted to go (maps ARE NOT very accurate). We stopped in the Visitor Office more than once, believe me.

And this is what I absolutely loved about Venice. Getting lost. The more lost the better.

Really the public water taxis are oh so easy. Don't let that scare you away.

I'm confused as well and hope it's ok to ask my question on this thread. We are three adults and 5 bags (3 carry on and two large suitcases). Arrive via train from Florence on may 2 and will need to get directly to ship. Is it easier to get off the train in Mestre and take a land taxi to NCL Jade or walk/people mover from the Venice train station? From what I'm reading the trains stop in Mestre first and a land taxi can take us directly to the ship for around 25€ thus avoiding dragging our bags over the bridge and the people mover. Is this right? Thanks.

Yes, you are correct. If you take a taxi from the Mestre train station, you can be dropped off at the cruise terminal. From Mestre, you cross the Ponte della Libertà (land bridge connecting the mainland & lagoon) and you are in Venice.

If you take the train into Venice (Santa Lucia), you will need to schlep your luggage over the bridge (the steps are quite shallow but there are quite a few of them) and then take the people mover to the cruise terminal. Depends on which method you would find more comfortable with 5 pieces of luggage.

We have stayed in both Mestre & Venice. When we stayed in Mestre, we took a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes, you are correct. If you take a taxi from the Mestre train station, you can be dropped off at the cruise terminal. From Mestre, you cross the Ponte della Libertà (land bridge connecting the mainland & lagoon) and you are in Venice.

If you take the train into Venice (Santa Lucia), you will need to schlep your luggage over the bridge (the steps are quite shallow but there are quite a few of them) and then take the people mover to the cruise terminal. Depends on which method you would find more comfortable with 5 pieces of luggage.

We have stayed in both Mestre & Venice. When we stayed in Mestre, we took a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Thank you. Mestre and land taxi sounds much easier. Kim

A big thanks to all who replied and provided links - I've got a much better understanding of what to expect now.

You have received some very good tips and ideas. Yes, with your luggage getting to your hotel, does have some challenges, BUT, for just "walking around", that is the "JOY" and excitement for being there in wonderful Venice. From my link below, you can see lots of details, visuals and many others suggestions and ideas. Don't worry too much about getting lost at that "exploring" stage. That can be the NIG fun in discovering new, unexpected little treasures and hidden jewels in this charming city with so much history, great architecture and character.

THANKS! Enjoy Venice! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 51,005 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We will be in Venice next month and we stay at the BW Bologna in Mestre which is right across from the train station, therefore we take a taxi to the ship for about 25 Euros. Shlepping luggage for even a short distance isn't our cup of tea (since we have some back issues).

Love, love, love the beauty of Venice. Relax and take in all the colors and fun alleyways you find. Our first trip to Venice we were way too uptight about getting "lost". As others have said, it is part of the experience.

Have fun!!!

J

• 1 month later...

We are taking a 12 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice. It overnights in Venice, but arrives at 1:00 pm. Is it enough time to see the beauty of Venice and experience it for such short time? I hate to do a post cruise hotel due to the complications of transport there. Also, is it worth taking an organized tour, or just use a water taxi and go on our own? Any advise is appreciated from the experienced cruisers. This will be our first time in Venice. Thank you in advance. Helen.:confused:

We are taking a 12 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice. It overnights in Venice, but arrives at 1:00 pm. Is it enough time to see the beauty of Venice and experience it for such short time? I hate to do a post cruise hotel due to the complications of transport there. Also, is it worth taking an organized tour, or just use a water taxi and go on our own? Any advise is appreciated from the experienced cruisers. This will be our first time in Venice. Thank you in advance. Helen.:confused:

So you have from 1pm until you board the ship to sleep for one last night?

The ship probably offers a shuttle from the pier to St Marks; find out if it's unlimited trips or one RT, and how late it runs. You can easily spend a few hours wandering around St Marks and Rialto, then return to the ship for dinner. After dinner take a water bus down the Grand Canal to experience Venice in the dark. Best thing to do is borrow a Venice travel book from your library and figure out what you would like to see and do. I would encourage you to stay an extra night in Venice.

I disagree that it's complicated to get to the airport. After the cruise stay at a hotel near the Piazzale Roma area; it's near the pier and land transportation options so very convenient. From Piazzale Roma you can easily take the ATVO airport express bus; it costs 7E for the 20 minute ride and leaves at 20 and 50 past the hour. It's like a Greyhound bus with a hold beneath for luggage. Or take a taxi for 40E; still 20 minutes.

Hotels near the Piazzale Roma.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

Don't be surprised if one map shows a street name that's different from another.

For a decent map of the St. Mark's to Rialto area and more I have a map that was posted on the webiste of Casa Pisani Canal. Locanda La Corte has a good one, too, and it is quite readable, a plus! I also have noticed that the maps on the site vesseltracker.com are better than most.

Be aware that the vaporetto landings are not always consistently or correctly marked on maps.

I've downloaded two map apps to my Kindle for use offline in Venice. As I plan for Venice, I'm noticing which app seems to show more info. osm and maps (or something like that) and citymaps2go are pretty good.

Basically, keep in mind that it's best to navigate by knowing campos (squares) and landmarks like churches; street names are less important. I'm mostly planning to find the best map I can and then navigate by counting the number of alleys I need to pass before I make a turn.

We have been to Venice twice, for two nights each time. The last time our hotel offered to arrange a 1/2 day private guided walking tour and we really enjoyed it. Venice is one of those cities where it is easy to get around on your own and see the sights, but if you spend a few hours with a guide you will so many fun little things, and you'll have someone to answer all the little questions you have as well.