Need a little help with a hotel in Venice.

TinkBellaMom

We are going on Splendour of the Seas in September 2015. Our travel plans are to arrive in Venice 3 days before the cruise and stay 1 day after returning from the cruise.

We would like to stay a comfortable distance from the sites and not far away from the port, or at least close to transportation to the port. We will have a fair amount of luggage. We are able to walk distances. We are looking for the Venice experience in a hotel--maybe something rather small. Any ideas?

Thank You!

The best advise I would give you would be to get in touch with a good travel agent - travel agents have vendors that specialize in Italian land itineraries. These vendors can get you everything from transportation to and from the port to the best location and price with no additional cost to you. For such an important trip I would want an expert to help me. Hope it works out for you.

We stayed in Hotel Arlecchino and were very happy with it and there are good recommendations for the Hotel Olimpia as well. Both are close to the train & bus stations. Check out Trip Advisor for others. You could also do a search on the Italy ports forum here (that is how I found the Arlecchino!)

We are going on Splendour of the Seas in September 2015. Our travel plans are to arrive in Venice 3 days before the cruise and stay 1 day after returning from the cruise.

We would like to stay a comfortable distance from the sites and not far away from the port, or at least close to transportation to the port. We will have a fair amount of luggage. We are able to walk distances. We are looking for the Venice experience in a hotel--maybe something rather small. Any ideas?

Thank You!

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels.htm

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

if you need to be close to the pier and transportation options, the Piazzale Roma would be most convenient. Especially true if you have overpacked and can't easily manage your luggage.

P Roma is the last point of travel in Venice so it's where taxis, buses, cars, must drop off passengers. It's also close to the pier and a block from the Grand Canal. If you can't manage your luggage AT ALL, there are 2 hotels on PRoma ... the Santa Chiara and Ca'Doge where the taxi can drop you at the door or the airport express drops you within a block. If you can manage to walk 1 block and cross 1 small bridge, there's Best Western Olimpia, Arlecchino, Sofitel, and a couple of others. This link and map will help:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

OR, check your excess luggage at the Left Luggage Facility at PRoma, take a small carryon, and use the vaporeto to easily access any AND all areas of Venice!! Don't let your luggage limit the possibilities!

OR pay 110E for a water taxi and choose a hotel anywhere in Venice that is on or near a dock. Use tripadvisor or similar site to find a small hotel, B&B.

On my first trip to Venice we had 3 nights and stayed at a small apt halfway between Rialto and St Marks. Owned by the same folks that own a B&B near the Rialto Fish Market. The apt overlooked a church, square, and busy 'street'. In the mornings and evenings we would throw open the big windows to people watch.

http://www.pensioneguerrato.it/history_guerrato.asp

VeniceforVisitors is a great resource. A little research will help determine your priorities.

Edited by mapleleaves

The best advise I would give you would be to get in touch with a good travel agent - travel agents have vendors that specialize in Italian land itineraries. These vendors can get you everything from transportation to and from the port to the best location and price with no additional cost to you. For such an important trip I would want an expert to help me. Hope it works out for you.

I truly believe that you will get better, more accurate and first hand advice here than from a travel agent. . .

My daughter and I stayed at a lovely, family owned small hotel 6 years ago. I have booked again in October for my mother and myself. Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo gets great reviews on TripAdvisor and we are paying 180€ a night for a little larger room. Breakfast is included. It's in a quieter neighborhood, canal access so the water taxi can drop you off, 1-2 blocks from Aliguna stop. Best of all, besides the owners, is it has a little outdoor space, a courtyard used for breakfast in the morning (weather permitting) and we used it to eat our "dessert" each evening when coming back from a bakery.

I highly recommend. Very convenient

Thank You!

Our favorite hotel in Venice is the Hotel Commercio Pelligrino. Very close to San Marco and steps away from Vaporetto stop ( perfect when you have to haul your luggage. Reasonable rates, also has elevator and includes breakfast.

Hotel Locanda Salieri in quiet canal area, restaurants nearby plus excellent in house trattoria. 5 minutes walk over 2 bridges to Piazzale de Roma . From P d R take People Mover to cruise terminal. Walk from hotel 5 minutes to Grand Canal and Vaporettos # 1 & 2 down Grand Canal, also 5 minutes walk to Venezia St Lucia station . Nice quiet area . Excellent small family run hotel.

Book direct via hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

Thank You!

Hi TBM

We stayed at (and enjoyed) the Santa Chiara mentioned by maple leaves. It's right at Piazzale Roma so easy to roll luggage to if you come in on the airport bus. and shows for a few seconds at 0.30 in this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DQ8apgEhZBA[/YOUTUBE]

It is so easy to go to TripAdvisor, type in your perameters, regarding budget, location and Stars then just read the reviews and make a choice. I have been doing that for years and have never been disappointed. It's nice to see my choice verified here on CC but the reviews tend to not be as thorough as TripAdvisor. We'll be staying at Palazzo Stern before our next cruise. It is so easy to get around in Venice so proximity to the cruise port is our least consideration.

We booked the Hotel Papadopoli Venezia which I believe is in this area (close to port and airport transportation). Hope it was a good choice! Found it on tripadvisor.

Haven't stayed there (beyond my budget) but we passed it many times ... lovely exterior and lovely rose gardens. Very easy to reach. If you're on the ATVO express bus, just walk towards the center of all the trees, cross a small bridge, walk past the rose garden, and you're there. Maybe 5 minutes.

I think I posted this link to your previous question.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

Thank you, Mapleleaves.your comments have me excited about going there. I think we got a decent deal for a superior room of 220 euro. We might not be able to "pass this way again" so we splurged!

yes, that's a good price. The hotel has gotten great reviews on this forum so I'm sure you'll be happy. I love the location ... the rose garden and all the trees are a great setting. Plus as you an see from the map, it's only minutes from the P Roma and Canal. There are shops incl a grocery store just beyond the vaporeto station at P Roma if you need any incidentals. Have a great trip.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/papodopoli-venezia.htm

My daughter and I stayed at a lovely, family owned small hotel 6 years ago. I have booked again in October for my mother and myself. Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo gets great reviews on TripAdvisor and we are paying 180€ a night for a little larger room. Breakfast is included. It's in a quieter neighborhood, canal access so the water taxi can drop you off, 1-2 blocks from Aliguna stop. Best of all, besides the owners, is it has a little outdoor space, a courtyard used for breakfast in the morning (weather permitting) and we used it to eat our "dessert" each evening when coming back from a bakery.

I highly recommend. Very convenient

Our children stayed there on their honeymoon and really loved it!!! We have it booked for the 4 nights before the cruise. We may just go back there after the cruise--we just have 1 more night until flight to come home.

Something to add. You may want to research further. No wheeled luggage on the streets of Venice starting in May. Will it be enforced?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/21/travel/italy-venice-wheeled-suitcases/index.html

Not positive about this, but I think the wheeled luggage turned out to be defined differently, or something happened and Venice has decided wheeled luggage ban isn't going to be enforced. In any case, though, it IS good to consider how far you have to go from a vaporetto stop with luggage, as porters are not always available, and expensive water taxis can't always drop you right at your hotel. Also, there are many bridges, with numerous steps, which can be a pain. The veniceforvisitors site has a list of hotels that are easy to get to without a lot of bridges to cross. Of course, the hotels around Piazalle Roma or the hotels in nearby Mestre (though that's NOT Venice) are a lot easier to get to.

There are tons of small hotels in Venice. I would be a little careful, however, of the elevator and stairs situation, as many of the small hotels don't have an elevator. In many, reception is one flight up from where you walk in (and that is considered the 1st floor, not the second!) and then the one above that is considered the second. I ended up booking somewhere else (Hotel Rio, but small rooms and also very near San Marco, which can be overrun with tourists), but from reviews only, I liked Hotel Al Codega and a few other places whose names I've now forgotten. My TA recommended Hotel Scandinavia, which is a little bigger and more upscale. I'm generally not into upscale, so I gave it a pass. If you're really looking for more budget, I liked (from reviews and location only) Antica Riva B & B, but it's not exactly easy to get to from a vaporetto stop. However, since you're staying 3 days, I'd concentrate on places that are convenient for sightseeing and eating rather than worrying about how close a place is to the port.

• 2 weeks later...

I researched this for a similar pre cruise stay in July and decided on the Hilton Molino Stucky which is only one stop on the Blue Line from the Port. It is on Giudecca so a short shuttle is required to the main sites, however the Hilton operate a free shuttle and we will probably also purchase 72 hour tickets for the Blue Line so we have a choice, and can easily visit other islands.

I researched this for a similar pre cruise stay in July and decided on the Hilton Molino Stucky which is only one stop on the Blue Line from the Port. It is on Giudecca so a short shuttle is required to the main sites, however the Hilton operate a free shuttle and we will probably also purchase 72 hour tickets for the Blue Line so we have a choice, and can easily visit other islands.

No, don't get a pass on the 'blue line'! That's Alilaguna which is similar to a shuttle bus. You will want a vaporetto pass (like a city bus). The vaporetto stops about a ten minute (or less) walk from the hotel, and is good when the shuttle isn't operating when you want it.

We stayed at the Hilton last May and it was lovely, you will have a great time!

We stayed right near P.Roma. Pre cruise at Hotel Moresco (#1 Trip Advisor for and it's simply wonderful) and post cruise at Hotel Olimpia. Both were lovely in their own way and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at either one again. Olimpia wasn't as grand as Moresco but they were as friendly as could be, the room was absolutely fine, and they packed us this very HEAVY (free - lots of stuff) breakfast to go when we were heading out the door at 5am to catch our plane.

Edited by mickeysgal