NCL Vs. other lines drastic changes

rydan

I get how so many of you feel about the ongoing changes at NCL. However, I do think for the most part that you feel as if you have been misled by NCL Recently.

And that's perfectly understandable.

But looking back, all cruise lines have been through this type of major reorganization of shipboard offerings and amenities.

People complain, and hate the CEO's and the other line executives. Blah, blah, blah. This is NCL's turn to be vilified. And perhaps it's well deserved.

But somehow they all seem to thrive amid adversity. That's due to our short attention span.

So, many people have said, this is the last cruise, I'm canceling, I'm moving onto another line Ect.... But in the end some will do exactly what they said. But most will not. It's just the way we are.

Personally, I do not feel too bad about the changes, as most of them have a little or zero impact on me. Except that I have to pay the DSC on my drink pkg. still beats paying full price.

I'm not trying to convince you or sway how you feel about the many recent policy changes, just wanted to share my own point of view. And I respect all of your points, as they are ALL valid. Just that some of you are shall we say more passionate about it than others.

Here is just my personal experience about change. The wife and I honeymooned on the Sun Princess when it was brand new back in "96"

Coming off of two previous Carnival cruises. It was a awesome upgrade.

As we boarded the ship going to our cabin. A steward asked if he could help us with our carry on's. He asked for our cabin #. He then called us by our last names. As it turned out he was our steward. On Princess at that time they were to remember guest names.

Every night at assigned dining l. A fresh pasta dish was prepared table-side.

The. The list goes on and on. Over the years. After princess was carnivalized. And we kept sailing on Princess, every cruise was less and less impressive. Charges went up, staff not as friendly, less offerings for free and fee based venues started to pop up.

So this is nothing new, this has been going on for a long time now. NCL is making changes for long term benefits. We are just in a bad mix of the changes taking place. They will come out. Smelling like a rose. Alto it is hard to see that now, but they will. And if they lose a few locals along they way. That is just collateral damage of this battle of income.

Thanks.

Thanking you for taking the time to write and post this. I feel the same way. Any business goes through changes once in awhile sometimes for the better and sometimes not- fact of life.

I am loyal to Norwegian and have no reason to change my current bookings which now stand at 5 cruises between now and the end of 2016 with one more probably being added.

Other than one or two staff members having a bad day (haven't we all), I have not encountered rude staff members. Everyone works very hard to provide a good product from the kids in the Engine Room cleaning the pistons (do you want that job) all the way up to the Captain and the responsibility that lays on his shoulders. I am just amazed at how so many staff members from so many countries can form a team ( family) and be willing to work long hard hours and long contracts to be away from their families. What is more amazing is the fact that it takes a lot of them two or three days to come from their homes around the world to board "their" ship and then reverse the process at the end of their contacts. Thank you to each and every staff member.

For the most part I have to agree...

The DSC increases were not hard to accept, just a little odd to do it twice in 6 months... but in the end it doesn't really add up to much.

I like the idea of having promo choices, even if there is a slight increase in prices to accommodate them. I certainly don't mind getting a discounted beverage package. The good thing is, there are choices.

The upcoming changes to a la carte dining of specialty restaurants has no real impact. If we didn't have a promotional UDP then we would be attending 2 or three specialty dinners tops ... so very little impact due to changes in pricing. In fact, if you really look at it it might work out to your advantage if you don't want a full four course dinner.

I don't see these changes as nickle and diming, but rather an evolution of the cruising pricing dynamic.

Just to make sure. I'm not taking sides. Just curios how others feel. I do not want to start a gripe thread.

There are too many of those. But I believe open dialog is the most helpful way to express your thoughts.

I am not loyal to any cruise line. Do I prefer some over others...of course. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try others. When I choose a cruise, it is based on what we want out of our vacation, regardless of the cruise line. I try to find the ships that meet our wants the best for that vacation and then compare prices for what I am willing to pay for it. That is all based on what is being offered today, not yesterday. All cruise lines make changes. Change is a normal part of life. It is up to the consumer to decide if what the ship is offering today is something they want at that price. It is so simple. If it is not what you want, then don't buy it. Go find what will make you happy. The cruise lines can not please everyone. That is impossible. We all want different things. It is not the cruise lines job to make you, specifically, happy...that is up to you.

I'm relatively new to cruising, but a frequent traveler. I get the impression some here don't get out much and as a result any change is crippling. I see it all the time in airports (I flew 120+ times last year). A flight is delayed a half hour to a final destination airport (not a hub where people would miss connections) and you would think the world is ending. Travel fees are part of the game folks! Id rather them add some like the room service than up the price. Gratuity increase? Ok...hopefully that means the crew is making a better wage. Are they? I dunno, I'm going to enjoy my cruise and not worry about it.

Well thought out post from the OP. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and seeking those of others.

Just like an earlier post, I'm also not loyal to any one line. I like to try them all and experience the differences. I find they each have their strong points and weaknesses. I actually like change and don't want things to be the same.

I've been cruising since the late 70's when I was just a kid and I've seen all the cruise lines change and evolve. Yes policies changes, prices fluctuate, and in general the cruise industry has really evolved. One great thing is that we have more choice today from luxury to mass-market experiences than ever before. The ships are also more spectacular than ever before but also much more crowded. You have to take the good with the bad. Lots of great things to love about this this industry.

To NCL specifically, they have been extremely mismanaged in the past with countless management changes too frequent to remember. It's one reason they have never made it past #3 in this industry, although they have been around long enough that the opportunities certainly existed. Too many poor business decisions while their competitors were making the right ones. Now they are back on track but lately seem to have a few missteps. The new management team has been quick to add new fees, raise prices, change policies, etc. My problem is that none of it really seems to benefit the customer and it's all one sided towards profitability. I'm all for NCL being profitable but there has to be a balance which other cruise lines seem to manage better. Go ahead and increase fees and overall prices, but offer something in return like an enhancement to the onboard experience. That is the part missing to me. Beyond that, it's the way NCL has been going about it along with their CEO's comments to the investment community that don't sit well with me. It all seems to be in contempt of the customer, where as we just seem to be a nuisance to be manipulated as best as possible. The true stars right now are the stockholders. Perhaps other cruise lines operate the same way, but if they do they are better at hiding it.

So in a nutshell I don't have a problem with change and evolution, but I do think there is a way to go about it with a positive spin and that is where NCL is failing IMO.

Just to make sure. I'm not taking sides. Just curios how others feel. I do not want to start a gripe thread.

There are too many of those. But I believe open dialog is the most helpful way to express your thoughts.

Change is inevitable in any industry. The only thing the recent changes at NCL have done to me is caused me to lose what goodwill NCL had built up with me, so they are no longer my first choice. If they have a fare that's lower than a competitor's I would certainly sail with them again.

My problem with NCL's recent changes is the lack of internal organizational structure they seem to suggest. I am not as knowledgeable as some of you about NCL management personnel. However the way NCL has handled the recent mass cancellations seems to signal a lack of focus.

If I had to present a client with a problem like " I've just cancelled your cruise" I would do it with the potential solutions well in hand.

Personally since my cruise next year on Spirit has been cancelled, my TA was not notified of the change, and in fact I found out about the cancellation on this website, I have been looking to replace those plans with others similar in nature. Since NCL cannot or will not give me details of what it can replace my vacation with, I have looked at other cruises and I am pretty sure I am booking a replacement cruise on another line.

I will keep my NCL cruise next spring, but NCL is running the risk that I will like my replacement cruise enough that I will start booking with that other line.

Poor business strategy in my opinion. I am sure NCL will straighten it out in the long run, but the short run might be painful for NCL and for us.

. . .

T. . . it's the way NCL has been going about it along with their CEO's comments to the investment community that don't sit well with me. It all seems to be in contempt of the customer, where as we just seem to be a nuisance to be manipulated as best as possible. The true stars right now are the stockholders. Perhaps other cruise lines operate the same way, but if they do they are better at hiding it.

So in a nutshell I don't have a problem with change and evolution, but I do think there is a way to go about it with a positive spin and that is where NCL is failing IMO.

Exactly.

Also things like increasing service charges two times within six months IMO makes it look like NCL doesn't know what it's doing.

We realize all cruiselines have had various cutback over the past few years, which majorly started I think when fuel prices skyrocketed. Fuel has come way back down, though I don't expect that savings is being passed on to the customer.

Cruising is still an economical way to travel and it's still enjoyable.

Edited by mizlorinj

I'm not especially fussed about the increased service charges, or the move to a' la carte specialty dining (which I kind of like), but the timing of these changes makes it seem as if NCL is making things up as they go along. It would be one thing if NCL kept base pricing low, and added charges for this-and-that as part of a well thought out plan that incorporated reasonable roll-outs. As I see it, low base pricing with additional charges for optional items is the essence of freestyle. But NCL seems to want it both ways: keeping the base price high, adding charges for this-and-that, but trying to fool paying customers by including those added charges as "free promotions."

I still like the NCL product, because none of this reflects on staff or crew. One of my biggest concerns, that FDR would somehow turn NCL into Oceania Jr.-type "elegance" has thankfully not come to fruition, and really doesn't seem to be in the cards, if indeed it ever was.

However, the only way NCL will get me back is by price alone, since the "free promotions" are for things I wouldn't be interested in using or wouldn't mind paying for in the first place. Sailing NCL was nice while it lasted, and made for some of the best cruise experiences I've ever had.

Edited by buckirj1

Every cruise line makes changes, which are to their benefit.

Celebrity for example just increased their DSC, upped their 15% gratuity to bar servers to 18%, raised their drink prices and they recently raised their beverage package costs.

We sail Aqua Class on Celebrity and for the past couple of years the promo for Aqua has been free drink package, gratuities and OBC. The current promo is pick one. Stateroom price has stayed the same for the week we cruise with them, at least this year and next. Plus we booked next May in early June when all three were still included.

I'm not THAT attached to any cruise line that I feel bad looking elsewhere. Typically, there is one that meets our needs and that we prefer sailing and that is usually the one we will book with. First CCL had our business...for a very long time, then they made changes (cuts I saw in entertainment) that lead us to start booking mostly with NCL

We were extremely happy with NCL until Sheehan left, then the changes started.

Personally, charging more for things does not ever lead me to leave a cruise line...it's other changes that do. Cuts in food quality or entertainment will make me leave OR in this case, my dissatisfaction with current NCL is their changing and elimination of itineraries that I love. Last year they cancelled our Pearl Southern Caribbean (it was chartered out)...gave us limited options to replace it and then totally pulled all of their 11-14 night Jan/Feb Southern Caribbean cruise out of Florida...and that was something we liked to book every year.

Move on to the present..I had an Oct 2016 Western (10 night) booked and recently found out that too has been cancelled due to all the shuffling of ships. We were given ONE option to switch to and that option was in the next calendar year, and an eastern as opposed to the western I wanted...plus in a month (January) when we prefer to stick to Southern routes to ensure warmer temps. To make matters worse, they gave us a short letter telling us our cruise was cancelled, told us our option to keep our price locked in was that one sailing in January and then didn't even tell us what the itinerary was...only it was an eastern for 10 nights, and the itinerary isn't going to be available (according to my TA...who called NCL for me) until the 17th of this month.

?????????????

Seriously. They want me to rebook and not even know exactly where the dang ship is going.

All these changes in itineraries we enjoy are forcing us to book more with Royal Caribbean.

We still have two Cruise Rewards Deposit things that we will use and we'll see how it goes after that...but in the mean time, I do have a Royal Cruise booked for January to the Southern Caribbean because NCL doesn't offer that any longer.

Again, I didn't mind the increase in the DSC...and any other charges that people complained about didn't bother me. I understand that costs increase...but don't keep pulling my cruises out form under me and then NOT giving me better options to rebook...and don't eliminate great itineraries.

An earlier poster said it best. Cruises are still a great deal, and I'll select the cruise that offers what I want for the best value. I really couldn't give a flying fish what somebody charged last week or last year. If cruising gets too expensive due to changes, I'll choose to do something else. Until then, there are lots of choices in lines, ships, accommodations, itineraries and offers.

So far, we are willing not to cancel our upcoming Escape cruise, as we booked before the prices jumped to silly levels and we are happy with the pre-April UDP free promo with no 18% added on.

But not happy and really tired of learning something new and unpleasant every week or so it seems on CC and not hearing from NCL. Not thrilled by the changes but willing to stick it out, unless some really deal breaking shoe drops.

If we were not so booked, with a decent price and decent promo, we would not be booking now and would be going elsewhere.

This will be our last NCL cruise unless prices and services are competitive. Currently, for us they are not.

The changes at CCL were not drastic enough to turn us off great deals in pricing.

Our cruise on the Breeze was the best family cruise ever...even with the new menu's which were better than I thought they would be.

I will say this, and its not meant to start a debate on the merits of crew pay,

BUT I MIGHT lower DSC to the level when I booked. $12.00 (or whatever it was) a day PP, I won't get rid of it, unless service absolutely is horrible.

And tip extra as needed.

Maybe not, we'll have to see.

I have read this and similar posts with great interest, because I have booked my first NCL cruise in over ten years for later this month.

Last decade, I cruised NCL six times and enjoyed some experiences which could only be accurately described as "unbelievable" (good, not bad).

Much of the wonderful nature of those cruises was an almost direct result of the CEO at the time, with whom I enjoyed a very pleasant series of email exchanges. From what I read here, it seems his replacement has now also left.

Does anyone have the email address of the new CEO of NCL to share here?

I have little expectation that my upcoming cruise will be any where near the level of several of some of the past ones, although delighted to see that there WILL be one holdover on the crew which is wonderful. And again, Cruise Critic has really enhanced the enjoyment of my cruising experiences, if only to tailor my expectations to realistic levels.

I get how so many of you feel about the ongoing changes at NCL. However, I do think for the most part that you feel as if you have been misled by NCL Recently.

And that's perfectly understandable.

But looking back, all cruise lines have been through this type of major reorganization of shipboard offerings and amenities.

People complain, and hate the CEO's and the other line executives. Blah, blah, blah. This is NCL's turn to be vilified. And perhaps it's well deserved.

But somehow they all seem to thrive amid adversity. That's due to our short attention span.

So, many people have said, this is the last cruise, I'm canceling, I'm moving onto another line Ect.... But in the end some will do exactly what they said. But most will not. It's just the way we are.

Personally, I do not feel too bad about the changes, as most of them have a little or zero impact on me. Except that I have to pay the DSC on my drink pkg. still beats paying full price.

I'm not trying to convince you or sway how you feel about the many recent policy changes, just wanted to share my own point of view. And I respect all of your points, as they are ALL valid. Just that some of you are shall we say more passionate about it than others.

Here is just my personal experience about change. The wife and I honeymooned on the Sun Princess when it was brand new back in "96"

Coming off of two previous Carnival cruises. It was a awesome upgrade.

As we boarded the ship going to our cabin. A steward asked if he could help us with our carry on's. He asked for our cabin #. He then called us by our last names. As it turned out he was our steward. On Princess at that time they were to remember guest names.

Every night at assigned dining l. A fresh pasta dish was prepared table-side.

The. The list goes on and on. Over the years. After princess was carnivalized. And we kept sailing on Princess, every cruise was less and less impressive. Charges went up, staff not as friendly, less offerings for free and fee based venues started to pop up.

So this is nothing new, this has been going on for a long time now. NCL is making changes for long term benefits. We are just in a bad mix of the changes taking place. They will come out. Smelling like a rose. Alto it is hard to see that now, but they will. And if they lose a few locals along they way. That is just collateral damage of this battle of income.

Thanks.

This is a very inspirational message for NCLH shareholders.

It offers no relief to cruisers.

--Princess was good, then they Carnivalized, and things rather went downhill.

--"If they lose locals, that's just collateral damage"

The overall theme seems to be "the experience will get worse, but take it easy". Funds available, I'd argue the play is to take it elsewhere and not reward NCL's bad behaviour.

I have mainly done Disney cruises and have seen just as many changes on their ships and loyalty programs as I have noticed on NCL. Cruising to me is still a wonderful way to vacation and if I pay a little more it doesn't really bother me. I feel it is a good value in return for my vacation dollars. When I no longer feel that way, I will look for other ways to spend my vacation money.

For those who enjoy monumental math challenges imagine that you ran a few dozen ships and you had potential customers requesting more interesting travel ports. Now pretend that you already had all those ships pre-booked out for the next 18 months. How would you phase in exciting new routes to more exotic and/or challenging destinations?

If you consider the logistics of matching up date schedules, proper type of ship for intended future venues, no idle time, and current bookings on those ships it is a huge challenge. There literally is no ideal date (like May 2017) where you can just overnight make it all happen. Remember that every day you have an empty ship sitting in a port it is a major cash drain so all the repositioning and transition ship movements need to be making money.

Not to defend NCL but it was inevitable that a lot of people would have their future plans impacted no matter when they would have "pulled the trigger" (can I still say that???).

We sail Aqua Class on Celebrity and for the past couple of years the promo for Aqua has been free drink package, gratuities and OBC. The current promo is pick one. Stateroom price has stayed the same for the week we cruise with them, at least this year and next. Plus we booked next May in early June when all three were still included.
I also cruise with Celebrity, but in Concierge Class. One of my cruises is the same exact cruise I took last year and the price of that cruise is up. I was speaking about the changes, not perks (for one of my cruises I got the beverage package, free gratuities and $450 OBC, because I booked onboard) that other cruise lines do as well. In this case Celebrity, one I know very well and they have increased their DSC, upped their 15% gratuity to bar servers to 18%, raised their drink prices and they recently raised their beverage package costs, all within the last 6 months or so; just to show that NCL is not the only cruise line making changes that benefit themselves. Edited by NLH Arizona

For those who enjoy monumental math challenges imagine that you ran a few dozen ships and you had potential customers requesting more interesting travel ports. Now pretend that you already had all those ships pre-booked out for the next 18 months. How would you phase in exciting new routes to more exotic and/or challenging destinations?

NCL should have had the new itineraries planned out and priced and ready to go when they announced the cancellations. It also should have been willing to IMMEDIATELY refund people who decided not to book an NCL alternative. If NCL really wanted to exhibit superior customer service, it should have been prepared to offer "sweeteners" to the folks who are losing their planned vacation. NCL wants us to love love love our cruises with it, but not be disappointed when those cruises are taken away?

it is possible that the alternatives NCL will offer me for my cancelled cruise will be palatable. I am probably not going to hang in to find out. All NCL have given me so far is that I can exchange a 16 day cruise for a 13 day one. Nothing has been said about retaining OBCs and packages, let alone room equivalencies. I am going to book on another line tomorrow.