Luggage restrictions

JamMouse

I want to start packing for our cruise since we sail in less than 3 weeks. What are some of the restrictions on what to bring? I know not to smuggle alcohol, weapons, and drugs on board as it doesn't apply to us anyways.

We are driving to port so airport isn't an issue.

Edited by JamMouse

I want to start packing for our cruise since we sail in less than 3 weeks. What are some of the restrictions on what to bring? I know not to smuggle alcohol, weapons, and drugs on board as it doesn't apply to us anyways.

You can go here....look for 'prohibited items'. I think it covers most everything.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Have a great trip!

Thank you. Most of those are common sense things but guess some people lol. I was reading some comments on the Royal Caribbean luggage restrictions, saying you can bring hair dryers, curling irons or straighteners

No steamers or irons for clothes. Use Downy spray wrinkle remover or go to the self service laundry room on your deck.

No immersion water heaters for making tea, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given the thread title, I was wondering whether anyone knew whether Princess has luggage volume restrictions, but probabvly it regulates itself by the airline restrictions and cabin sizes.

For people driving to the cruise, of flying first class with exorbitant luggage allowance, it could potentially be a problem, and I wouldn't be suprised if someone at Preincess conjured up some restrictive rules i.e. when using Princess transfers. I am just not aware of any (and we usually bring 8 pieces of luggage! on board!).

Yes Princess has luggage volume restrictions according to the FAQ linked earlier in the thread. Although the number of bags is only advised to prescribed, the FAQ is quite specific when it comes to size and weight of each item of luggage.

"For your cruise we recommend no more than two (2) bags per person. Each bag can be no bigger than 140cm x 60cm x 40cm and cannot weigh more than 32kg. "

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

Yes Princess has luggage volume restrictions according to the FAQ linked earlier in the thread. Although the number of bags is only advised to prescribed, the FAQ is quite specific when it comes to size and weight of each item of luggage.

"For your cruise we recommend no more than two (2) bags per person. Each bag can be no bigger than 140cm x 60cm x 40cm and cannot weigh more than 32kg. "

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

As others have said, the restrictions to consider are more if you're traveling by plane or train. Carry ons need to be able to be hoisted on the conveyor belt and fit through the security scanner. A regular sized suitcase won't fit.

There's plenty of storage space in the cabin for regular sized (maybe slightly large suitcases)...in the closet or even under the beds. Most passengers are not going to lug a giant steamer trunk on a cruise.

From another recent thread, it seems that handcuffs are not allowed.

Even if they are fur-lined ... :cool:

Oh bummer, there goes my anniversary trip then.. Haha. But that is good to know.. In case my husband wanted to spice it up. I did read no candles and that was something I was going to pack.

Oh bummer, there goes my anniversary trip then.. Haha. But that is good to know.. In case my husband wanted to spice it up. I did read no candles and that was something I was going to pack.

Nothing that might possibly cause a fire is allowed.

Personal experience: your carry-on items do NOT need to be restricted to carry-on size. On our last Alaska cruise, I took some large camera lenses in a bag that absolutely would not meet airline carry-on size limits, no problem. The bag did fit through the X-ray scanner, so that part was easy, but the security staff said no worries, they'd just manually inspect it if it didn't fit.

Size limits are for the airport, and possibly for the under-bed storage space, but not for carry-on or checked bags onto the ship.

This is a little bit off the original post but I have Restricted myself on taking my hair straightners (maybe known as hair irons outside the UK).The last two cruises that I have done, my hair straightners did not work. I do however remember using them on the Sea Princess,does it depend on the ship or have things changed recently ?

I do understand the need to make sure there is no risk of fires onboard.

Does anyone know of "safer" lower wattage hair straightners that could be used.

Maybe they ARE RESTRICTED ITEMS.

This is a little bit off the original post but I have Restricted myself on taking my hair straightners (maybe known as hair irons outside the UK).The last two cruises that I have done, my hair straightners did not work. I do however remember using them on the Sea Princess,does it depend on the ship or have things changed recently ?

I do understand the need to make sure there is no risk of fires onboard.

Does anyone know of "safer" lower wattage hair straightners that could be used.

Maybe they ARE RESTRICTED ITEMS.

If you were trying to use them in the bathroom you need to be aware that those plugs aren't capable of supporting very many things. You would need to use them in the main cabin where the outlet supplies more juice. However, if they don't have an "automatic off" feature they won't be allowed at all due to fire hazard.

Edited by Thrak

This is a little bit off the original post but I have Restricted myself on taking my hair straightners (maybe known as hair irons outside the UK).The last two cruises that I have done, my hair straightners did not work.

220V straighteners may not perform well with 110V electricity. Look into purchasing a converter than can convert the 110V to 220V.

Plastic zip ties will not show up in the X-ray machines!!!!! A little super glue and some fake fur and you are back in business! :D:D:D

Just be careful as they may confiscate your pocket knife needed to cut them off!!! ;);)

HA HA!

Plastic zip ties will not show up in the X-ray machines!!!!! A little super glue and some fake fur and you are back in business! :D:D:D

Just be careful as they may confiscate your pocket knife needed to cut them off!!! ;);)

HA HA!

Thanks, I will have to let my husband know to get creative. Haha. Our friend went on a cruise last year and his 7 year old son bought a bull whip from Mexico and it was confiscated until dis embarkment. Princess doesn't like frisky business on the ship.

Nothing that might possibly cause a fire is allowed.

If you do want to bring a candle, you can certainly bring the ones that are battery operated. I bring the small, tea-lite sized ones. I like to use them especially when I book an inside cabin as they are useful at night when the cabin is pitch black and we don't fall if we need to get up in the night. I bring 2 or 3 and place one on the desk and on the nightstand or coffee table. I also bring them should there be a power outage...or just when I want to create a nice "ambiance" atmosphere for hubby and I..;)

Just an FYI, there are LifeStyle cruises that probably allow handcuffs.

We usually bring a battery operated candle. I've even used a battery operated tea light as a night light in the bathroom.

Dollar Tree has 2 pack of the battery tea lights that flicker, so you can buy lots. They are great for night lights and such, and last a long time.

Edited by szubieta

However, if they don't have an "automatic off" feature they won't be allowed at all due to fire hazard.

Are there such? I know of no hair dryer or curling iron with an automatic shut off, even the hair dryer that Princess provides. I bring my own hair dryer and travel electric curlers, maybe even a flat iron this time. Never been confiscated. Exceptionally careful with them at home, same level of care elsewhere.