If they chose the music based on the crowd-

marshhawk

What should they have been playing on the lido deck?

The last cruise I was on was an older crowd, the majority over 50-so I was hoping the dj would have taken that into consideration when he chose what we listened to on the lido deck-perhaps some Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Yes, maybe some zydeco (we sailed from NOLA,)or country or blues,but no, alas we got blasted with hip hop and loud rap.

What should they have been playing on your last cruise?

Edited by marshhawk

The live steel band did not have the best singer but you have just made me appreciate it. We were on NCL Dawn last Feb out of Tampa and will be on NCL Sun Feb 2015. Are all looking forward to it. Will be on Sensation in Nov. Guess it will be a DJ playing rap. Thanks for the warning so I can take ear plugs.

Edited by getupgo

Hey, Ma'am; The last cruise that I was on, (Fascination, you were there too), The music wasn't to bad. There was a good mix, A few cruises ago i Was on the Inspiration out of Tampa.It was a younger crowd and the Hip-Hop was deadly!:eek: The Fascination,since it is the only ship out of Jax. seems to have a good mix of people, while the Inspiration was more of a "party cruise" with four other ships available. I like all kinds of music as long as they vary it a bit. Be Blessed! Mikey<><

while I would love to see the good old days of a live steel drum band on lido deck for sail away, I realise that it will likely not ever go back to that. I accept a dj on lido deck, but personally, me being over 50, (under 60), I would appreciate it if the dj would mix things up a bit. Give us all a good mix of music, especially for sailaway. DJ please don't shove that hip hop stuff down our throats and into our ears, most especially during sailaway.

Thankyou.:)

and for the rest of the week, again please dj,,,,mix it up a bit. Be aware that not everyone on board is under 25!!!! Give us a good mix of music please

Edited by SMSACE6

I've only heard them playing top 40 stuff. I've never heard anything that could be considered true hip-hop or rap. I'm personally okay with top 40, even if some of the songs are a bit irritating. I'd gouge my ears out if I had to listen to country & western or golden oldies. I do wish they'd lower the volume, though, especially on the ships where Serenity is close to the central lido area (like on the Valor, where the entry is opposite the DJ area).

Edited by ldlewis45

The last cruise I was on was an older crowd, the majority over 50-so I was hoping the dj would have taken that into consideration when he chose what we listened to on the lido deck-perhaps some Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Yes, maybe some zydeco (we sailed from NOLA,)or country or blues,but no, alas we got blasted with hip hop and loud rap.

Carnival deck music sucks. It used to be good but that was long ago. Part of the reason my next cruise is on princess. I am done with carnival.

Wait I just hit 50 and have no interest in hearing Joni Mitchell or driving my hs gremlin. Funny I have done about 6 cruises in a year and all was a mix of everything.. Then again I don't sit where it's loud and in my face and then complain. If you want Joni Mitchell or big band plenty of cruise lines offer that.

DJ's dont seem to look at the audience before deciding what to play. They seem to play what they like.

I really don't know how you can look at the audience on a cruise and decide hands down what to play. There's so many age groups and music choices in the mix. My favorite type of music is gospel then classical. Wouldn't look at me and guess that. That's why a variety is best in my opinion. Not everyone 50 and over likes classic rock, etc. And not every 25 year old likes rap. I dunno. Maybe i'm just used to enjoying most all kinds of music, so I can tolerate most anything even if it's not my favorite. Maybe everyone isn't like that. I never hear the type of music I most enjoy on a cruise. There's just no way to pull off Kirk Franklin and Vivaldi on the Lido Deck. Lol.

I am trying to make a little humor out of this-ie, my crowd on the Elation was pretty much 50 and older-cruising in winter without many kids-so if someone asked me what the music would have been based on the crowd, I'm thinking 60's music.

I am sure that some of you have been on a cruise, where you thought based on the average age bracket they would be playing Frank Sinatra.

I am sure Stu is right, that the dj plays what they want to play, but do not be fooled-before you even board the ship, the staffing knows the age demographics of the guests, that's why ususally your dinner companions have something in common with you.;)

I don't like to listen to the same radio station at home all day, because I get bored hearing the same songs over and over again. I like to mix it up and switch around to different stations, from top 40 to country to oldies. I'd like it if the DJ on the ship would mix things up a little too, and turn the volume down some too. The exception might be ZZ TOP. You can crank them up for me anytime!:D I'd also like to hear some Doo-Wop, Motown, some Blues and some Jazz. Hip hop would be way down at the bottom of my list.

What should they have been playing on your last cruise?

I'm still trying to figure out why they play reggae and steel drum music on the West Coast cruises. Mariachi music would be better.

I'm still trying to figure out why they play reggae and steel drum music on the West Coast cruises. Mariachi music would be better.

Yeah, last cruise out of Long Beach taped steel drum music was being played outside the Dome. Felt very odd.

Wonder what is done for Alaskan cruises?

I really don't know how you can look at the audience on a cruise and decide hands down what to play. There's so many age groups and music choices in the mix. My favorite type of music is gospel then classical. Wouldn't look at me and guess that. That's why a variety is best in my opinion. Not everyone 50 and over likes classic rock, etc. And not every 25 year old likes rap. I dunno. Maybe i'm just used to enjoying most all kinds of music, so I can tolerate most anything even if it's not my favorite. Maybe everyone isn't like that. I never hear the type of music I most enjoy on a cruise. There's just no way to pull off Kirk Franklin and Vivaldi on the Lido Deck. Lol.

If I was a DJ and if I looked out at my audience and saw mostly people well over 50 would think rap would not be the first or second or third most liked by my audience.

Would be willing to bet that if DJ made most of his income via tips things would change pretty quickly.

I'm 51 and I would throw myself overboard if I had to listen to Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Not the time for heavy lyrics! Hopefully it's assumed that we are not stuck in a time warp (btw in "the 60's" I was in first grade) and we have some exposure to the top 40 dance/pop music of the last two decades. Never, ever have I heard rap on the lido- does anyone even realize what rap is? Maybe R&B or hip hop but not rap.

The Wobble, the Electric Slide- the line dances that people like to dance to on deck- those are 10-25 years old.

The one thing I cannot stand is country music- but I know I have to deal with it. People are up, dancing, swaying in their loungers, ordering drinks- and then a country song comes on and the deck gets cleared. But I know it's not going to change.

Music taste is subjective but they're not playing anything especially "urban" or esoteric- it's top 40 of the last 20-30 years. Honestly if they started playing the Beatles or the Eagles or something I would strap on my go cam and jump over the side ;).

Since the DJ area is close enough to get to him on Lido, I wonder if anyone has ever gone to him before you sit down, and asked him to play certain songs? It would not hurt to try. You could even give him a list of a few of the songs, and he might have a couple. You won't know unless you ask. Don't wait to see if they will, put in requests. It wouldn't hurt.

Edited by INCHARGE

If I was a DJ and if I looked out at my audience and saw mostly people well over 50 would think rap would not be the first or second or third most liked by my audience.

Would be willing to bet that if DJ made most of his income via tips things would change pretty quickly.

Thank you I so agree with you.

Sorry- to the rest of you, you are misunderstanding my question-IF they based the music on your last cruise on the age group of cruisers, what would they have been playing? That was the question. Not what is being played.

Sorry- to the rest of you, you are misunderstanding my question-IF they based the music on your last cruise on the age group of cruisers, what would they have been playing? That was the question. Not what is being played.

So,, basically what you're asking is,,,, is it OK to stereotype people based on their race and age to determine what kind of music should be played?

Since I'm white and over 50, that means I want to hear and only listen to a certain type or style of music?

You are wrong.

My playlist on my phone goes from Dean Martin to Kid Rock. From George Strait to Shaggy. Pink Floyd to Lady Gaga. Queen to Blake Shelton. Tupac to Macklemore. Gloria Estefan to Ne-Yo.

Wake up and smell the coffee. There's more to music than Neil Diamond and Joni Mitchell or The Archies.

I'm 51 and I would throw myself overboard if I had to listen to Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Not the time for heavy lyrics! Hopefully it's assumed that we are not stuck in a time warp (btw in "the 60's" I was in first grade) and we have some exposure to the top 40 dance/pop music of the last two decades. Never, ever have I heard rap on the lido- does anyone even realize what rap is? Maybe R&B or hip hop but not rap.

The Wobble, the Electric Slide- the line dances that people like to dance to on deck- those are 10-25 years old.

The one thing I cannot stand is country music- but I know I have to deal with it. People are up, dancing, swaying in their loungers, ordering drinks- and then a country song comes on and the deck gets cleared. But I know it's not going to change.

Music taste is subjective but they're not playing anything especially "urban" or esoteric- it's top 40 of the last 20-30 years. Honestly if they started playing the Beatles or the Eagles or something I would strap on my go cam and jump over the side ;).

You dont like the Beatles and the Eagles? Wow do you at least like Herman's Hermits???:):)

I hear you golfadj, but there's always a mix of people on the Lido Deck. No matter the time of the year you go. There were plenty of people older and younger than me on my last cruise and I never heard any rap. I heard alot of country music, which isn't my favorite, but I really didn't care. I was just enjoying the time spent out there soaking up the sun. I also don't sit near the pool or the speakers where any music blaring in my ear would be annoying. I think the DJ and my last two cruises did a good job with the music. And in my opinion the Lido Deck there should always have a mix. Then pick what you want to hear at the different venues onboard that feature different music types.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I hear you golfadj, but there's always a mix of people on the Lido Deck. No matter the time of the year you go. There were plenty of people older and younger than me on my last cruise and I never heard any rap. I heard alot of country music, which isn't my favorite, but I really didn't care. I was just enjoying the time spent out there soaking up the sun. I also don't sit near the pool or the speakers where any music blaring in my ear would be annoying. I think the DJ and my last two cruises did a good job with the music. And in my opinion the Lido Deck there should always have a mix. Then pick what you want to hear at the different venues onboard that feature different music types.

A mix is fine but last few cruises was just loud loud loud rap and DW and I couldnt wait to get away from it.