How much does your suitcase usually weigh

kjeanne2001

59 to 63 pounds --usually have two of those for the non-Caribbean trips. Just did a ten day trip from Virginia to Tennessee and back to Florida-temps ranged from 30 to 80 degrees and the suitcase was 62 pounds!!

Debi

My suitcase is about 42lbs when I leave home. That's for a cruise, no matter the length, that is to areas where summer weight clothes are appropriate. When going to the extreme regions it's a pound or two more with sweatshirts added.

That shortage from the 50 lb. airline limit leaves plenty of room to bring back the daily programs, maybe a purchase, and all the pillow chocolates I can get my hands on! :D

We have 24" suitcases that always come in under 50#…any larger suitcase always was more than that…so we got rid of those…(Got the Samsonite lightweight roll around ones.)

21" Rick Steves rollaboards are USUALLY Ok for carryons unless flying small airplanes or overseas airlines with more strict weight restrictions…then we switch to backpacks for camera/electronics, etc. and just pack less.

Our bags are generally at 49 pounds (we weigh carefully) because we've got 2 bottles of our favorite wine that you can't buy at a store packed in them. We drink the wine on the cruise, and then have extra room/ pounds for the stuff we accumulate during the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we were away for 17 days including 14 days on the ship, we took 3 suitcases and two of the three weigh about 45 pounds with the garment bag weighing about 38 pounds.

We take longer cruises so we have two bags each. We start out with the bags at about 40 lb each and return home with them all at about forty eight pounds.

We live in a small area where clothes shopping is mostly teenage stuff so I take full advantage of being in a larger centre to stock up.

I weigh each days purchases and make sure I don't go over the total limit which is 50 pounds per bag.

If we are packing a lot of dress clothes, we're usually in the mid 40s. Otherwise, we're in the high, high, 30s. If we're going somewhere cold and we need dress clothing, we are in "weigh 'em and hope for the best" territory.

Our cruises are usually 20+ days to cooler climates. We typically take one checked bag each in the 38-42 lb range, even though the last few times we've had a 70 lb limit for each of the allowed 2 free bags per person. I don't know what I could have packed to get close to that amount of 'stuff'. The last time we did a 7-day cruise we only checked one bag (not one each), about 38 lbs. We pack formal gear when we cruise. Every time I see posts that people can't take formal wear because of "airline weight restrictions", I wonder what they pack that we don't. Whatever it is, we don't miss it.

I usually come in in the 30-35 pound range...but that's without having to take some dressier things (note: I am not complaining, just stating a fact...I am perfectly willing to pack dressier things). However, my plan for this Alaska trip is to pack my "regular" clothes in my checked bag and have my carry-on loaded with all my running stuff - so I'm guessing that the removal of three pair of running shoes will counteract the addition of a few dressier dresses. We'll see when I actually get there though. :)