So sad, but I must go. Maybe another time

Over the past couple months on cruise ship message boards, the rumor mill has been churning with people saying that during Freedoms dry dock, a major undertaking will happen and this “dynamic dining” will be implemented on the FOS. Here is my problem/concern.

When I booked my cruise with RCCL, I didn’t reserve a cruise with such uncertainty. Furthermore, when I call your customer service department, no one knows anything. That nothing has been made official, at least to the representatives. This, to me, is unjust. We as consumers are spending hard earned money for a top notch cruise and I am sure RCCL will deliver that, but consumers deserve to know what is going on. Especially for drastic refurbishments. The problem also is, when I make my final payment which is in November ( or I would pay it off earlier), and if THEN RCCL decides to announce it and I want to cancel, I can’t without penalties

I know things are beyond my control or any other passenger for that matter. But I booked my trip with the presumption of experiencing that superior dining room service that RCCL is known for in comparison to other lines. Now no passenger knows what the “dynamic dining” experience will be or even how it will be received for that matter.

In my opinion, its an awful lot to ask of us, the cruisers, to sit and wait, all the while RCCL takes our money and provide no answers or solutions.

We are booked on the 2-22-2015 seating and final payment is 12-9-2014 (while we are on EX). I am hoping that they will let us know before final payment is due.

Having said that, I have put together a strategy to recreate traditional dining in DD. I think the Always Available menu will be offered. I will reserve one restaurant for 7 nights-- same time and then we will talk to the M'aitre D'. I will contact Special Needs desk for another person in our party. After all this is done, I will give instructions to the other couple's TA. A lot of work compared to booking traditional late and then linking reservations.

I have heard that even if FR's dining room is altered for DD during drydock, that they will wait a few months to institute it. That is what Oasis is doing. And there seems to be a lot of push-back on the FR class toward DD that RCI is experiencing.

Interesting how within the span of a couple of weeks the Hotel Director says yes it is and then the Captain says maybe.

Almost seems like RCI is having senior officers on board sending a whole lot of disinformation just to push everyone's buttons here on CC.

I am picking up that RCI is getting a lot of pushback about DD on Freedom and maybe Freedom class ships.

Also, the IT problems for folks booking restaurants are a problem. And some folks are not getting the dining times they want so they have now expanded to the reservation times to 4:30 PM to 9 or 9:30 PM.

Oasis is getting DD with a few months delay (spring, 2015) to implement it. But Oasis already has a lot of specialty restaurants and is getting more.

Yeah, just a month or so ago BOTH were saying DD is coming during dry dock. Wasn't there a recent Captain change though? I believe Captain Tor just left Freedom for vacation a few weeks ago and Captain Ron is now on board. Captain Tor and Michael Rasmussen were the ones saying yes during the Q&A according to multiple reports here.

I really hope the rumor is true and one day it may happen but I don't think its going to happen in January :(

I wouldn't think of cancelling my cruise either way though.

You are right -- Captain Ron is now on board and Michael Rasmussen is on vacation (don't know who is there now but it is not Rodney King).

OP is asking Royal to be provide more information on what their intention is with Dynamic Dining. It would be nice if this is a rumor they would just quash it. If it is definite, then let people know. If they are waiting to see if DD is successful on Quantum, then I am sure they can put a positive spin on the wait. But at least people who are booking now have official information that this might happen. Why is Royal afraid of telling people what is going on?
If RCI waits until close to the cruise, with the IT problems they are having with QU & AN passengers booking dining, they will have an even bigger nightmare if FR is added -- especially if the booking window is very small. Wonder if the booking window for DD is narrow, if cancellation penalties will be waived.

NCL had freestyle cruising which is exactly what DD is. Several restaurants which are included in your fare. The wait can sometimes be quite long causing people to go into paid venues they wouldn't have wanted to use. NCL has no formals, will DD do away with formal nights too?

Like the OP I like traditional dining. I enjoy my waiter having my diet coke ready every night and two butters because i use a lot. It's nice not having to start the same conversation each night with "where are you from", that can happen at lunch when you share a table.

Edited by cruzsnooze

NCL had freestyle cruising which is exactly what DD is. Several restaurants which are included in your fare. The wait can sometimes be quite long causing people to go into paid venues they wouldn't have wanted to use. NCL has no formals, will DD do away with formal nights too?

Like the OP I like traditional dining. I enjoy my waiter having my diet coke ready every night and two butters because i use a lot. It's nice not having to start the same conversation each night with "where are you from", that can happen at lunch when you share a table.

There will not be a shipwide designated night or nights for formal wear, but there will be one restaurant where formal wear is required every night.

Exactly. A lot of posters on this thread are "lets just go with the flow", relative to dining, and I notice that many of these are relatively new to cruising (or at least to CC). However, I think there are a great number of cruisers out there that have become accustomed to the current RC system, and find it preferable to RC becoming NCL II.

Dynamic Dining is SO NORWEGIAN!!! Well, that is why I left NCL & tried RCI.

Now, I have finally made Diamond and well.. I will try the freestyle dining again on Royal.. I can drink my free drinks and not care so much.

However, I have to say that I have been getting some fantastic balcony/free grat/AND obc offers from Princess and they sail out of my home port. If I weren't already booked on Navigator, I'd pull the trigger on Princess this November.

Oh wait...I'd have to switch my VISA too. Thinking...

Exactly. A lot of posters on this thread are "lets just go with the flow", relative to dining, and I notice that many of these are relatively new to cruising (or at least to CC). However, I think there are a great number of cruisers out there that have become accustomed to the current RC system, and find it preferable to RC becoming NCL II.

Actually I think DD is way worse than NCL´s Freestyle. NCL at least still offers Dining Rooms with daily changing menues. RCI plans to entirely remove Dining Rooms and it will be all Restaurant type Settings with or without Charge, but each of them will have a fixed menu for the entire cruise. So your only Chance to get a menu Change during a cruise is to Restaurant hop. Which for some might Sound good while for others it completely eliminates the cruise Dining experience.

I was just recently part of a Galley tour on RCI and the Chef started to talk about DD. He was literally grilled by the mostly high ranking C&A members. It was so much that he tried to calm down People by saying it wasn´t set in stone yet and maybe they would not do it. Well he had talked differently before he got the reaction.

I however have and will put my opinion against DD on every Survey I have completed since the announcement. I was opposed to MTD when it was introduced, but at least they kept traditional in Addition to it, but it Looks like traditional is now going overboard completely.

Well had you read a Little closer you would have noticed the OP didn´t let it ruin their vacation and they got over it. They cancelled and rebooked on Princess.[/quote

My eyes are fine, I don't need to read closer. Cancelling isn't getting over it, oh well it is their money. More room and food for the rest of us. So, sad people cry about the littlest of things. Things change, I'm surprised these people aren't throwing a fit because RCI change ships from what they where like in the 70's.

no offense OP, but if this is your biggest concern in life, then IDK what to tell you...yea you spent money, food is going to be the same, unless you're worried but not being able to meet people or what not...there match.com...its obvious that the employees knows whats going on and will tell you whats going to change. Its unofficial information that isn't released until all is said and done. You're kind of making it seem as if they told you that they randomly decided to upcharge every customer a thousand dollars each on the room.

All I'm saying is there SO MUCH more to the cruise where one need not to worry about the concept of dining being changed.

And what is important to one person may mean nothing to someone else. The OP doesn't want Dynamic Dining and did something about it. Good for him.

First world problem. MDR is nice, but I think I'd like the flexibility with DD. Either way, you get good food brought to your table.

Is there a more first world message board than one devoted to discussing all things cruising ?

If you order a burger at McDonalds with no pickles they will bring the food to your table also. Is that the criteria we're going with ?

Well had you read a Little closer you would have noticed the OP didn´t let it ruin their vacation and they got over it. They cancelled and rebooked on Princess.[/quote

My eyes are fine, I don't need to read closer. Cancelling isn't getting over it, oh well it is their money. More room and food for the rest of us. So, sad people cry about the littlest of things. Things change, I'm surprised these people aren't throwing a fit because RCI change ships from what they where like in the 70's.

Right, it is his money and he didn't like something so he actually did something about it instead of just whining. Sounds like a pretty grown up thing to do to me.

Actually I think DD is way worse than NCL´s Freestyle. NCL at least still offers Dining Rooms with daily changing menues. RCI plans to entirely remove Dining Rooms and it will be all Restaurant type Settings with or without Charge, but each of them will have a fixed menu for the entire cruise. So your only Chance to get a menu Change during a cruise is to Restaurant hop. Which for some might Sound good while for others it completely eliminates the cruise Dining experience.

I was just recently part of a Galley tour on RCI and the Chef started to talk about DD. He was literally grilled by the mostly high ranking C&A members. It was so much that he tried to calm down People by saying it wasn´t set in stone yet and maybe they would not do it. Well he had talked differently before he got the reaction.

I however have and will put my opinion against DD on every Survey I have completed since the announcement. I was opposed to MTD when it was introduced, but at least they kept traditional in Addition to it, but it Looks like traditional is now going overboard completely.

You are correct that DD will be gone completely. It's really not surprising that the most high ranking C&A members are the ones most concerned about DD. Royal did not design DD for the old school cruisers. I believe they are trying to reach out to a new demographic and traditional dining just does not appeal to that demographic.

I've looked at the DD menus and there are more things on those menus that appeal to me than there were on the old traditional menus. And, if there are two or more things I would like to try on one of the newer menus, I can go back to that restaurant again and be guaranteed both will be on the menu. That is not the case for the traditional menus.

I also have no issue with changing dining rooms multiple times as each will be a new experience. Switching tables, table mates, and waitstaff is not an issue either.

This is the reason I am not sailing on a ship with DD until I hear that I can get the seating I want with no problems- There have been several boards similar to this in the quantum section.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2108370

This is one of the issues I have brought up about the rollout of DD. I think the company was speeding up implementation on non-QU ships but may have pulled back. Many, many posts on CC have been about rumors that FR was getting DD after their Jan. 2015 drydock with members quoting officers taking about this change during various forums. However, I am now seeing statements that seem to indicate that this decision is not set in stone or that RCI may wait until they see how the new dining style is being received and whether the booking process has been improved before instituting it in a new class of ships such as the Freedom class. We have 4 FR cruises booked in 2015 and 2016 as per my signature so I am extremely interested in this topic.

We really like Traditional Late seating but will give DD a try if the chaos is cleared up (creating traditional late in one restaurant with same time, same table and same wait staff -- have a party that likes a specially ordered menu and the always available menu) If we don't like it, we may change RCI ships to one that still has traditional dining or look at another cruise line like Celebrity.

Edited by SherriZ366

You are correct that DD will be gone completely. It's really not surprising that the most high ranking C&A members are the ones most concerned about DD. Royal did not design DD for the old school cruisers. I believe they are trying to reach out to a new demographic and traditional dining just does not appeal to that demographic.

Agreed, but is it smart business to ignore the concerns of their most loyal customers in order to attract new cruisers that might, or might not, become regulars on RC?

Agreed, but is it smart business to ignore the concerns of their most loyal customers in order to attract new cruisers that might, or might not, become regulars on RC?

We should always be aware that posters on CC are the minority among the cruising public. Quite frankly, most of the 'most loyal' cruisers are not the most profitable members. Loyalty only goes so far. Profitability is a much more important factor.

Were also booked for FOS (again) next year, and while none of this was known when we booked I'd never consider cancelling because of it. We'll find a way to make due and have a great vacation. If that means paying to eat in a specialty restaurant a couple nights then so be it.

Try something new, you might be surprised :eek:

I agree with the OP. I was ready to book a cruise on Freedom when Royal Caribbean cancelled the January/February cruises and then I decided not to when word on CC that DD was announced on Freedom at a C&A event. The only problem with asking for a confirmation of changes, though, is that corporate said that Dynamic Dining would be fully tested on Quantum (and Anthem) first. Neither ship has launched yet, and they've already confirmed they are implementing it DD on Oasis, and rumors are that Allure and Liberty are also in line to get DD within the next 16 months. So asking Royal Caribbean to "confirm" something that may change later is meaningless.

And of course, they announce DD on Oasis just as my final payment was due. I had thought about cancelling that cruise and switching to the Allure, however, the Allure was double the price and I have a room at the Hard Rock (non-refundable) pre-cruise. I'm a little relieved that DD won't launch until next year, but I'm a little skeptical until my first night in the MDR when Oasis returns from dry dock.

On a related note, I booked the Hard Rock months ago in part because I enjoy their pool. A few weeks ago I noticed on their website the pool is closed for renovations. A few days later I received an email explaining this to me, and that arrangements have been to use a pool at another hotel at the beach. While I would have booked another hotel (at the beach) pre-cruise had I known this back then months ago, this communication is enough for me to keep my reservation instead of demanding a refund. The way I look at it, extreme cold on my first visit there and thunderstorms on my second visit prevented me from enjoying the pool area, so at least I get to go to the ocean on my 5th visit.

I think that is the point the OP is trying to make. They want to know what they are getting into first, and don't want to be test subjects for DD. We know how well the IT dept. is and there probably will be kinks that need to be worked out on the DD reservation system. The menus have yet to be tested, so no reviews on what dishes are good and which ones to avoid. DD also includes changes to the Windjammer. There are too many unknowns (but enough for me to know DD is not for me, at least when sailing solo).

To the OP, it's your money. Enjoy your cruise on the Regal Princess.

For everyone who demands that we embrace change and spend our hard earned money and something that hasn't been tested yet, please make sure you following your own advice and spend your money on a cruise with DD. Then come back here to CC and give us a detailed review of all the restaurants & menus. Be sure to include photos, and describe in detail which dishes you enjoyed (and why) as well as which dishes you tried and wished you hadn't. Please be objective with this subjective matter.:D

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TM38Rob

For everyone who demands that we embrace change and spend our hard earned money and something that hasn't been tested yet, please make sure you following your own advice and spend your money on a cruise with DD. Then come back here to CC and give us a detailed review of all the restaurants & menus. Be sure to include photos, and describe in detail which dishes you enjoyed (and why) as well as which dishes you tried and wished you hadn't. Please be objective with this subjective matter.:D

Thanks in advance.

We invited some friends with us on FOS next year and it will be their first time on RC. So if DD goes into play and is still around next Sept I'll have a full review with pictures and make it a point to include as much about the food situation as possible.

I get it, people like the MDR experience. I hope RC keeps that kind of experience in tact for those who want it while also expanding to offer more options to different demographics. It's hard to please everyone, especially when it comes to food. :cool: