So sad, but I must go. Maybe another time

Over the past couple months on cruise ship message boards, the rumor mill has been churning with people saying that during Freedoms dry dock, a major undertaking will happen and this “dynamic dining” will be implemented on the FOS. Here is my problem/concern.

When I booked my cruise with RCCL, I didn’t reserve a cruise with such uncertainty. Furthermore, when I call your customer service department, no one knows anything. That nothing has been made official, at least to the representatives. This, to me, is unjust. We as consumers are spending hard earned money for a top notch cruise and I am sure RCCL will deliver that, but consumers deserve to know what is going on. Especially for drastic refurbishments. The problem also is, when I make my final payment which is in November ( or I would pay it off earlier), and if THEN RCCL decides to announce it and I want to cancel, I can’t without penalties

I know things are beyond my control or any other passenger for that matter. But I booked my trip with the presumption of experiencing that superior dining room service that RCCL is known for in comparison to other lines. Now no passenger knows what the “dynamic dining” experience will be or even how it will be received for that matter.

In my opinion, its an awful lot to ask of us, the cruisers, to sit and wait, all the while RCCL takes our money and provide no answers or solutions.

As much as I want Dynamic Dining implemented by next April for my Freedom cruise, I think it may be just a bunch of rumor and the Captain and Hotel Manager jumped the gun.

I would never cancel a cruise over a dining concept though. Guess that is just me.

Over the past couple months on cruise ship message boards, the rumor mill has been churning with people saying that during Freedoms dry dock, a major undertaking will happen and this “dynamic dining” will be implemented on the FOS. Here is my problem/concern.

When I booked my cruise with RCCL, I didn’t reserve a cruise with such uncertainty. Furthermore, when I call your customer service department, no one knows anything. That nothing has been made official, at least to the representatives. This, to me, is unjust. We as consumers are spending hard earned money for a top notch cruise and I am sure RCCL will deliver that, but consumers deserve to know what is going on. Especially for drastic refurbishments. The problem also is, when I make my final payment which is in November ( or I would pay it off earlier), and if THEN RCCL decides to announce it and I want to cancel, I can’t without penalties

I know things are beyond my control or any other passenger for that matter. But I booked my trip with the presumption of experiencing that superior dining room service that RCCL is known for in comparison to other lines. Now no passenger knows what the “dynamic dining” experience will be or even how it will be received for that matter.

In my opinion, its an awful lot to ask of us, the cruisers, to sit and wait, all the while RCCL takes our money and provide no answers or solutions.

You also agreed to the cruise contract.

You must go where, back to Carnival?

I'm willing to play wait and see with dynamic dining. While I do love the traditional dining experience on Royal, I realize it's probably 10% of the royal experience. I've got 3 cruises booked currently and if it's a train wreck, at that point I'll consider ditching royal. I think it'll be different but still at least acceptable.

I would choose a ship that is not going to dynamic dining for now... then when you're ready to try it book a ship that has it. I don't know, I guess i'm open to change and dynamic dining is not really seeming to be such a big deal to me but if it is to you, then go out and experience other cruise lines/ships!! Maybe you'll love what the others have to offer! (sorry loyal royal cruises, i'm not loyal to any, we book based on price/time frame, although I do love Royal!)

Any changes made to Freedom during the January dry dock to accommodate Dynamic Dining are in preparation for that program, but it has been reported that it will not be introduced until later in the spring. With final payment due in November, your cruise date likely will not be affected by that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I am not one to be bothered by change, I embrace it. But the fact that rumors allegedly from staff saying "this is happenening" during drydock and nothing be addressed is absurd, IMO. I am sure, almost certain it would be amazing, but the uncertainty of it all just doesn't sit well with me.

I am sure, once more reviews actually come out from it, a better understanding will be had. I am not saying I will never try RCCL, just not this time and booked/paid off the Regal Princess in fact.

I look forward to reading everyones opinions now and in the future regarding dynamic dining.

Be safe everyone and may your travels always be safe.

Have seen this term....dynamic dining....on other posts.....what is it?

This will help describe it for you. It is being initiated on Quantum class ships with their launch but is reportedly being added for spring '15 launch on Oasis and Freedom during their upcoming dry docks.

1396036808_v1Culinary-Press-Release-FINAL-32414 (1).pdf

Have seen this term....dynamic dining....on other posts.....what is it?

When Batman & Robin got too old to fight crime they were no longer

known as the dynamic duo and instead became known for their eating exploits, otherwise known as dynamic dining.

I can see this upsets you greatly. I hope things work out for you. Personally, I don't really care the type of dining used (but that is just me). In fact, I am actually looking forward to Dynamic Dining.

Again, I hope things work out for you.

QTPie :cool:

I am not one to be bothered by change, I embrace it. But the fact that rumors allegedly from staff saying "this is happenening" during drydock and nothing be addressed is absurd, IMO. I am sure, almost certain it would be amazing, but the uncertainty of it all just doesn't sit well with me.

I am sure, once more reviews actually come out from it, a better understanding will be had. I am not saying I will never try RCCL, just not this time and booked/paid off the Regal Princess in fact.

I look forward to reading everyones opinions now and in the future regarding dynamic dining.

Be safe everyone and may your travels always be safe.

I can see this upsets you greatly. I hope things work out for you. Personally, I don't really care the type of dining used (but that is just me). In fact, I am actually looking forward to Dynamic Dining.

Again, I hope things work out for you.

QTPie :cool:

Note the highlighted portion of the OP's last post. He has booked on Regal Princess instead.

I have sympathy for the OP, but not empathy. You could name many amenities or experiences you are assuming will be on the ship when you book a cruise - and based on the cruise contract, none of them need to be provided by the cruise line. Their basic agreement with you is to provide the cabin type you booked and safe passage to your debarkation port.

As much as I want Dynamic Dining implemented by next April for my Freedom cruise, I think it may be just a bunch of rumor and the Captain and Hotel Manager jumped the gun.

I would never cancel a cruise over a dining concept though. Guess that is just me.

I think I'm a week or two behind you. I'll be watching the refurbishment for details. I wouldn't change either at least at first. My only potential problem with DD is I might have to wait in line for my choice.

IMO "UNCERTAINTY" is commonplace on RCL.....

whether it be making reservations ~ pricing ~ even once aboard policies vary from RCL ship to RCL ship.....:confused:

regardless our cruise experience has always been wonderful despite the pre-cruise UNCERTAINTY and ship to ship differences in policy.....:)

Edited by 2004corvette

I think the OP has a good point. If the eliminate the main dining room to make way for Dynamic Dining, they will have to implement it on all sailings after dry dock. The main dining room will no longer have the capacity. What I suspect will happen is they will implement as a proof of concept dynamic dining on Freedom and see how well it goes. If it works, they will change out and deploy the same design into all Freedom and Voyager class ships during each dry dock rotation.

While offering more choices and times to eat, DD does also increase how many fee based options there are to choose from. So it has increased revenue making it relatively easy to calculate how long to recover the cost of the refurbishment to add DD. I do not think they are deploying DD because customers want more options. I think they have run the numbers and revenue from the dining v. no incremental revenue from main dining means they will push this out quickly as part of every scheduled dry dock going forward.

I think the OP has a good point. If the eliminate the main dining room to make way for Dynamic Dining, they will have to implement it on all sailings after dry dock. The main dining room will no longer have the capacity. What I suspect will happen is they will implement as a proof of concept dynamic dining on Freedom and see how well it goes. If it works, they will change out and deploy the same design into all Freedom and Voyager class ships during each dry dock rotation.

While offering more choices and times to eat, DD does also increase how many fee based options there are to choose from. So it has increased revenue making it relatively easy to calculate how long to recover the cost of the refurbishment to add DD. I do not think they are deploying DD because customers want more options. I think they have run the numbers and revenue from the dining v. no incremental revenue from main dining means they will push this out quickly as part of every scheduled dry dock going forward.

If it is implemented anything like it is on the Oasis then they are just making changes to the decor during drydock. This will not impact capacity at all. It will then be rolled out later in the spring.

FWIW - I just got off the Freedom on Sunday. During the Captains Q&A session I specifically asked if Freedom would be converting to Dynamic Dining during dry dock. He said that they had not finalized plans to do so. They need to "test" the program on Quantum before committing to it on Freedom or any other ship. They also confirmed the newest ship being built will be named Ovation.