Ease of transfer to/from Rome and Civitavecchia

aldenham34

Wife and I will be embarking on a return sailing from Civitavecchia for the 1st time in Oct '15.

Have yet to determine if Celebrity offers ground transfers from/to Rome's airport, otherwise don't know how straightforward or complax (congested) it might be, particularly when disembarkingat trip's end.

Your collective insight, advice and sugestions are most welcome :):)

We just did a transfer from Civitavecchia to FCO, coming off the Journey. We booked a private transfer that we shared with 2 other couples and it was at least 3x less expensive than ACC was offering.

I am not allowed to post the company we used on here.

For some reason, I'm not able to copy and paste the link for you.

I would suggest going to tripadvisor.com and typing civitavecchia transfers to Rome airport. You'll see many options.

We've embarked/disembarked in Civitavecchia probably close to 10 times. It is easy to go back/forth to the airport with private transportation.

Go to the Italy ports of call forums and you will find lots of recommendations for transfer companies. Even if it is just 2 of you, it will be cheaper than the cruise line's transfer, even less with more people. Plus, you come out of the terminal, get in your transportation and head for FCO, not wait for a bus to fill up. Pre-book your transfer since there will be nothing available when you disembark if not pre-booked.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. The Rome airport is a fair ways from the port of Civitavecchia. The cruise transfer would be quite expensive. My advice would be to join the roll call for your cruise (see the star up top at the left hand side of the page and click on the link). You will then be able to join others and share a van to the port. We did that and it only cost us 25 euros each. You could also use the train if you are adventurous enough and able to handle your luggage.

We had a lot of OBC for our last trip that started in Venice, so we used OBC to take Celebrity transfer to Rome. We booked after embarkation in order to use OBC. It went very well. Both private excursions we were with on this cruise, people were not where we were supposed to meet at the right time and I would be really nervous with dealing with that when we had a 12:45 flight. We both feel better in Rome and Southhampton with the ship's transfer. Other port such as Venice, Barcelona, Copenhagen and FLL we have no problem with a cab.

We have used Rome Cabs several times for transfers to Rome, to the ship and back to the airport --- we recommend them highly, service has been reliable and efficient, vans or limos are clean and air conditioned. Not sure why we can't mention them since many threads have, but I'm sure this post will be deleted if needed. Anyway, price is no more or less than ships transfers which are $92 pp each way to/from the airport and port. Plus, no need for you to wait around for the bus ti fill up, luggage to be loaded, go on their time schedule,and so on. But if you are interested in the ship transfers, you can sign up through your reservation on the Celebrity website, there is an icon at the top.

We've used Bob's limo ( in cars, not limos) several times and have been very happy. Airport to cruise ship was about $80; which was just us. Ship to airport in a shared van was about $30pp.

We've also used the train to go into Rome for an after cruise stay. It was easy and very cheap, but not in everyone's comfort zone. You can go from the airport to the port, I think.

Wife and I will be embarking on a return sailing from Civitavecchia for the 1st time in Oct '15.

Have yet to determine if Celebrity offers ground transfers from/to Rome's airport, otherwise don't know how straightforward or complax (congested) it might be, particularly when disembarkingat trip's end.

Your collective insight, advice and sugestions are most welcome :):)

Celebrity does offer transfers to/from FCO. We used a Rome Cab service, as we were going into town. Either way, it is an expensive proposition, as Civitavecchia is far away.

We have used their services multiple times. Always reliable. Last time, the driver was a Sophia Loren lookalike. :)

Edited by notjaded

Depends on your plans. If you go in a day or 2 early (recommended), then you will likely stay either in Rome or Civitavecchia. We've done both. Used Rome Taxi (both ways ) when we stayed in Rome. Last trip, we stayed in Civitavecchia, and the hotel provided transport (for a price) from the airport and later to the port (free).

We just did a transfer from Civitavecchia to FCO, coming off the Journey. We booked a private transfer that we shared with 2 other couples and it was at least 3x less expensive than ACC was offering.

I am not allowed to post the company we used on here.

For some reason, I'm not able to copy and paste the link for you.

I would suggest going to tripadvisor.com and typing civitavecchia transfers to Rome airport. You'll see many options.

That's for travel agents. Taxi companies, local restaurants, bars, attractions and such are okay to name.

Correct me if I'm off target Andy but that's true right?

thnx much midwestchick, great intel, will follow it up

My computer is fixed, so here is the link.

I still do not think we are supposed to list tour companies, transfer companies, etc. on here. It is fine for roll calls.

I did not use the company mentioned above...we found one less expnsive and highly rated on tripadvisor.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=transfers+from+civitavecchia+port+to+rome+airport

Edited by midwestchick

We've used Bob's limo ( in cars, not limos) several times and have been very happy. Airport to cruise ship was about $80; which was just us. Ship to airport in a shared van was about $30pp.

We've also used the train to go into Rome for an after cruise stay. It was easy and very cheap, but not in everyone's comfort zone. You can go from the airport to the port, I think.

+1 Did Bob's Limos - very happy - nice new Merc from port to centre of Rome. We got off ship early and driver was already there waiting for us.

You can get a shuttle bus transfer to the airport without any drama at all. It is only useful if your flight isn't before lunch time. I think it leaves the Port about 9.30am. Try Smart Cruise Tours, The cost is EU20. We have used this shuttle, it was perfect.

Are you going straight from the airport to the ship and straight from the ship to the airport ?

Flying air Transat ?

Are you able to handle your own bags down flights of stairs ?

Flying Air Transat , they can be late leaving Toronto, yesterday the plane got into Rome probably around 11:40 am, all aboard is 3 pm so that is tight , the ship will wait for the plane if it is late ( since about a 1/4 of the people on the plane is for the cruise )

Post on your roll call to see if anyone else is on your flight to share a ride

Yesterday, we share a van that seats 8 for about $155€ , 26€ Each, from the ship to the airport and beat the Air transat Vacation transfer bus to the airport

Edited by Airbalancer

You can get a shuttle bus transfer to the airport without any drama at all. It is only useful if your flight isn't before lunch time. I think it leaves the Port about 9.30am. Try Smart Cruise Tours, The cost is EU20. We have used this shuttle, it was perfect.

Agree, we used last year, coach leaves from port entrance where the port shuttle drops you off. It is ideal not only for the airport but continues to Rome Termini Station for those staying over for a day or so, costs 20euro/pp for either. Coach left about 9.15 and arrived at the airport before 10.30am. - you can prebook via http://www.smartcruisetours.com

thanx to all you cruise pros for the insights on transfers to/from Civitavecchi. You confirmed my suspicions regards booking a private transfer (vs the Cruise line) and the various services referenced are most helpful, thanxagain, and oh yes, we have logged into our roll call, ts... aka Aldenham 34 in Toronto,ON