Drinks package ..or not!!!

HollyL

Hi I am a cruise newbie and cannot work out if it is more cost effective to purchase drinks as I go along or to rake a package. On average I anticipate approx 5 x soft drinks per day, a couple of coffees and 2-3 glasses of wine in the evening? Can anyone help???

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

I don't know which cruise line you are on. If Princess, in the section for Princess, there is a spreadsheet that allows you to put in your expected drinking and it calculates which package if any is best for you. There may be a similar tool in other sections.

It depends is the true answer. I don't think I drink enough to make it worth it... especially as we have a port intensive cruise and for 6 of 7 days we are off the ship for 8 hours or so. What's your trip going to be like? HOw much do you drink on average?

There are several spreadsheets that help with estimates. The one attached here someone else made, and its Celebrity, but drinks are pretty much the same across the lines.

Celebrity Drink PKG Selector 2014.xls

Most cruise lines will allow you to bring some soda....I would not buy a package if your estimations are right.

Ice water, coffee, tea (hot or iced), lemonade or some sort of flavored something, milk and juice at breakfast are included in your fare. Unless you drink more than 7 alcoholic drinks per day, the package is a waste of money.

To HollyL

If you are going on royal Caribbean then you may have a an issue. You said you want the package to get the soda, speciality coffee and wine. There are three kinds of packages on the ship, 1. Soda, 2. Liquor 3. Wine.

Soda package Includes soda. Liquor packages depending on what level you buy can include as little as just soda and beer all the way to the intimate package which includes soda, beer, hard liquor including top shelf liquor, bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled juice, speciality coffee that is ship brand not Starbucks if they have one on your ship. You have to get the specialty coffee from the ship cafe. Liquor package does not include wine. You would have to buy that as a separate package or just by the glass.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I purchased the intimate package back in February on a 7 day cruise on the oasis. It was worth every penny. I would have specialty coffees and fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning, soda, redbull and that strawberry drink during the day and in the evening after the diner I would have shots, beer and tons of other drinks. It more than paid got itself.

HollyL .... Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Seems you'll be cruising on Celebrity Reflection 2/14/15 .

Please do ask this same question the Celebrity forum here on Cruise Critic where you'll get much better answers for the Celebrity Drink Package options.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Just be aware that some of the prices on Celebrity have gone up since the spread sheet was created. For example, soft drinks are now $3.00 not $2.00. Are you thinking specialty coffee such as cappuccino about $5.00, or regular coffee that is free? You can get a glass of wine for about $9 to $10.

You don't say what class cabin you are in but have you looked at adding a classic beverage package to your cruise at no charge? Celebrity is running a promotion right now.

Mary Lou

Hi I am a cruise newbie and cannot work out if it is more cost effective to purchase drinks as I go along or to rake a package. On average I anticipate approx 5 x soft drinks per day, a couple of coffees and 2-3 glasses of wine in the evening? Can anyone help???

I never buy the drink package on Princess I do get coffee card; I bring my own water, soft drinks also if I think I will use them.

Most cruise lines will allow you to bring some soda....I would not buy a package if your estimations are right.

Ice water, coffee, tea (hot or iced), lemonade or some sort of flavored something, milk and juice at breakfast are included in your fare. Unless you drink more than 7 alcoholic drinks per day, the package is a waste of money.

Really depends on the cruise line. For example: on Oceania, all non-alcoholic beverages are included in the cruise price (as are other amenities like airfare and specialty restaurants). And their "prestige" wine and spirits package cost (which includes gratuities) breaks even at about 4-5 drinks per day and is a bargain if you prefer items like single malts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am confused about the purchase of the classic or premium drink package as the prices of drinks are hard to find for Celebrity.

We normally drink a rum/coke, JD/Coke, vodka/redbull, once in a while one of their fruity frozen advertised drinks...do those fall under the classic package?

To HollyL

If you are going on royal Caribbean then you may have a an issue. You said you want the package to get the soda, speciality coffee and wine. There are three kinds of packages on the ship, 1. Soda, 2. Liquor 3. Wine.

Soda package Includes soda. Liquor packages depending on what level you buy can include as little as just soda and beer all the way to the intimate package which includes soda, beer, hard liquor including top shelf liquor, bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled juice, speciality coffee that is ship brand not Starbucks if they have one on your ship. You have to get the specialty coffee from the ship cafe. Liquor package does not include wine. You would have to buy that as a separate package or just by the glass.

Not really...

ROYAL REPLENISH*

$20 USD

per person, per day

Includes:

• Premium coff ee

• Premium tea

• Bottled water: Sparkling

(375ml) or Still (500ml)

• Fresh squeezed

orange juice

• Non-alcoholic cocktails

• Fountain soda with

Coca Cola® souvenir cup

SELECT*

$40 USD

per person, per day

Includes:

• Beer

• Wines by the glass

(up to $8 value)

• Fountain soda with

Coca Cola® souvenir cup

PREMIUM*

$55 USD

per person, per day

Includes:

• Call, and premium

cocktails (up to $10 value)

• Frozen cocktails

• Beer

• Premium wines by the

glass (up to $12 value)

• Bottled water still (500ml)

• Fountain soda with

Coca Cola® souvenir cup

ULTIMATE*

$65 USD

per person, per day

Includes:

Virtually unlimited options.

A combination of all the

benefi ts from Premium

and Royal Replenish

packages.

*Prices subject to change without notice. Packages include server gratuities, cannot be shared, are not transferable. Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. When ordering a beverage selection onboard, you must present your SeaPass card bearing

the package sticker to your server. Package does not include room service or in-stateroom purchases, mini bar items, Evian water, canned sodas, bottled juice and souvenir glassware, specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages. Package is subject

to the terms of Royal Caribbean International’s Alcohol Policy. Complete terms and conditions on page 2. ©2013 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships registered in the Bahamas. 13032790 • 12/13/13

ALL-INCLUSIVE PACKAGES

Just curious, saw a thread once on here about sharing Cheers program on carnival. Husband and wife had separate cabins. Bought one Cheers and were planning on sharing since the wife only wanted a few drinks. Wanting to know how it worked out? Was it difficult, worth the hassle? Please don't judge me folks, I haven't done it. Just curious so far.