Lost at Sea ...

CuzMomSays

1st time cruiser and my 1st time here. I am a single mom from Florida with an almost 18 yr. old daughter about to graduate high school. Her birthday/graduation request is to go on a cruise. I won't be able to schedule anything until tax return time, but I am getting as much info as I can, now.

Carnival or Royal Caribbean? Our group will consist of 2 crazy grandmas, my daughter & I. My daughter isn't a typical teen, she'd rather hang with adults than kids. We don't care for gambling or nightclubs, but a bingo game might be fun. We like a good buffet, maybe a comedy show, mostly just want to relax though. Should we book through a travel agent or straight off the cruise company website?

Wanting to go April-June 2013 but know that isn't practical on a budget or before we order passports.

Any info or tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I would use a Travel Agent.

Ask friends for recommendations.

Just be sure there are no fees if you cancel.

They can help you avoid mistakes.

I would go with RCI or another line such as Princess or Celebrity.

Get the passports.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Keith

I would use a Travel Agent.

Ask friends for recommendations.

Just be sure there are no fees if you cancel.

They can help you avoid mistakes.

I would go with RCI or another line such as Princess or Celebrity.

Get the passports.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Keith

I agree with Keith, your group sounds more like a RCI/Princess/Celebrity group then a Carnival group.

Welcome to Crusie Critic.

1) I would book directly, it gives you more flexibility to do things for yourself. However, if you don't think you have time to do the research and take care of things yourself, then you can go with a TA. A TA is just a middleman, and sometimes that can be tedious.

2) I have not cruised Royal Caribbean, and therefore I can't comment a lot on them. However, I do know that RCCL (at least on some ships) have Blue Man Comedy, Cirque du Soleil, ice skating, surfing pool, etc., so those things may be an option. Carnival I think is geared more to young families than Royal Caribbean is, and your group is past that stage. Carnival does have the Punchliner comedy club for comedy, and I will say that we don't really drink and aren't into the "club scene" we have spent time in many of the lounges, whether it's for karaoke, or the piano bar, or the band that is playing, or whatnot.

3) People who have sailed both lines and are objective will tell you that there isn't much difference between the two, and I tend to believe that. Yes, one may have better this than that. Therefore, people may have a preference based on their personality.

4) Be aware of the extra costs of both lines. Remember that each line will charge a daily gratuity for your housekeeping and wait staff. Also, be aware of extra cost food on the ship. Carnival ships charge extra for the coffee bar and the steakhouse if they have one. I'm not sure what extra expense restaurants RCCL has.

Wow!! Thanks everyone.

Yes, it will be closed loop but won't we need passports to get off the ship in the Bahamas? We are limited to Carnival or Royal Caribbean because the only port we can leave from is Port Canaveral, it is less than an hour away. As far as cabin, we really aren't picky, but would prefer cheaper priced.

It shouldn't be this difficult for me, but I want it to be perfect for my daughter, so I don't want to mess anything up. :o

Again, thank you, and keep the tips coming!! I truly appreciate the help.

1) I would book directly, it gives you more flexibility to do things for yourself. However, if you don't think you have time to do the research and take care of things yourself, then you can go with a TA. A TA is just a middleman, and sometimes that can be tedious.

2) I have not cruised Royal Caribbean, and therefore I can't comment a lot on them. However, I do know that RCCL (at least on some ships) have Blue Man Comedy, Cirque du Soleil, ice skating, surfing pool, etc., so those things may be an option. Carnival I think is geared more to young families than Royal Caribbean is, and your group is past that stage. Carnival does have the Punchliner comedy club for comedy, and I will say that we don't really drink and aren't into the "club scene" we have spent time in many of the lounges, whether it's for karaoke, or the piano bar, or the band that is playing, or whatnot.

3) People who have sailed both lines and are objective will tell you that there isn't much difference between the two, and I tend to believe that. Yes, one may have better this than that. Therefore, people may have a preference based on their personality.

4) Be aware of the extra costs of both lines. Remember that each line will charge a daily gratuity for your housekeeping and wait staff. Also, be aware of extra cost food on the ship. Carnival ships charge extra for the coffee bar and the steakhouse if they have one. I'm not sure what extra expense restaurants RCCL has.

I heard from one person that Carnival has better cabins & food than Royal Caribbean, but Royal Caribbean is more laid back than Carnival.

Wow!! Thanks everyone.

Yes, it will be closed loop but won't we need passports to get off the ship in the Bahamas? We are limited to Carnival or Royal Caribbean because the only port we can leave from is Port Canaveral, it is less than an hour away. As far as cabin, we really aren't picky, but would prefer cheaper priced.

It shouldn't be this difficult for me, but I want it to be perfect for my daughter, so I don't want to mess anything up. :o

No, you would not need passports to get off the ship in the Bahamas, only a picture ID and your ship cabin card to get back to the ship (most people that do get passports leave them on the ship anyway).

I heard from one person that Carnival has better cabins & food than Royal Caribbean, but Royal Caribbean is more laid back than Carnival.

You will hear all types of things about all of the cruise lines, colored of course by the person's personal experiences and preferences. I have sailed two lines and found them to be more similar than different. Personally I would price both and probably go with the less expensive of the two. Don't reach for perfection, but instead focus on spending some quality time with your daughter with the cruise as a backdrop to that.

I found the exact opposite to be true. the food was comparable, with MDR food on Royal to be just a hair above Carnival's. I also found the Carnival atmosphere to be more.. cheesy and silly( although that is not really the correct word to use). the atmosphere on Royal was a little more mature although nowhere near stuffy. cannot compare cabins as I only sailed balcony/verandahs on Carnival and have only sailed Suites on Royal

speaking of which.. with 4 adult women you will REQUIRE two cabins. the least expensive are insides. they also tend to be the smallest.

However that middleman can give you extra perks like onboard credits to spend on extras or free dinners.

I believe you're mixing NCL and RCCL together. NCL has Blue Mand and Cirque du Soleil. As for young families, both Carnival and Royal are both geared to them and have strong kids clubs. Both lines have comedy clubs, karaoke and a piano bar.

I found the opposite about the food. We enjoyed the food on Royal Caribbean much more than that on Carnival. It depends on what type of food experience you're looking for though... if you like more adventurous dining and not comfort foods then you'll probably agree with us about the food on Royal. However if you prefer meat and potatoes and comfort foods then you might like Carnival better.

Wow!! Thanks everyone.

Don't limit yourself - yes, Port Canaveral is only an hour away, but Fort Lauderdale is only a 3 hour drive. Believe me, those of us who live a flight away from Florida would think of a 3 hour drive to a port as nothing!

We have only sailed Royal and Celebrity, and they both fit our style of vacation, especially Royal. I considered Carnival since so many people love them (you might, too!), but the pics of their ships just do not appeal to me.

Whatever you decide, have fun planning and have a great cruise!

To give you an idea of cabin size this is our inside on RCL's Radiance of the Seas - 165 sq ft (those dimensions include the closet / bathroom). But everything is so well laid out we didn't feel cramped - and DH and I spent 34 days in it.

DSC00389-1.jpg

DSC00390-1.jpg

I think I would agree with anyone who says go with getting passports - then you don't have to worry. While traveling with birth certificate and drivers license will work if any emergency crops up that would mean flying back to the US you would have to jump through hoops and get your passport. I look at our passports as our "tickets to the world".

We have cruised both lines and while we prefer Royal's atmosphere, it does not stop us from cruising Carnival once in a while. The last few cruises on Carnival have not seemed to be up to the same standard as they had been in the past.

The last cruise for me was with my 3 adult daughters and I to the Bahamas aboard Carnival Sensation. We were in an Oceanview on deck 3 and had no problems at all fitting. The only time it was a little cramped was getting ready for dinner. We had 2 upper bunks and the lower beds made into a queen size. We range in size from size 14 to 20 so we are not skinny minis and again the room was just fine.My husband and I did a last minute cruise on Monarch of the Seas one time and we got the smallist of cabins and could never have had anymore people in that room!

2 of us had passports and 2 did not. No problems!

I hope you have as much fun as we did!

Kathy

1st time cruiser and my 1st time here. I am a single mom from Florida with an almost 18 yr. old daughter about to graduate high school. Her birthday/graduation request is to go on a cruise.

Wanting to go April-June 2013 but know that isn't practical on a budget or before we order passports.

Two things about your post caught my eye immediately....

"Your ALMOST 18 yr old daughter" if she will NOT have turned 18 prior to boarding the ship, you will need documentation to sail, this will likely involve

her fathers signature...On forms the cruiseline requires, notorized and her official Birth Cert and paper trail linking your name prior names to her name.

These must all be official documents and not photocopies.

If she is already 18 then no worries!!! Ask very careful questions if she will still be 17 at time of sailing.

Be aware that the dates you propose sailing is during the "official" Hurricane season and while it will likely be just fine... Be sure a spend a "Bit" extra and buy cruise insurance!

Two things about your post caught my eye immediately....

"Your ALMOST 18 yr old daughter" if she will NOT have turned 18 prior to boarding the ship, you will need documentation to sail, this will likely involve

her fathers signature...On forms the cruiseline requires, notorized and her official Birth Cert and paper trail linking your name prior names to her name.

These must all be official documents and not photocopies.

If she is already 18 then no worries!!! Ask very careful questions if she will still be 17 at time of sailing.

Be aware that the dates you propose sailing is during the "official" Hurricane season and while it will likely be just fine... Be sure a spend a "Bit" extra and buy cruise insurance!

We checked into the passport age & were told 16 was the cutoff for needing fathers signature. We have all those documents already because of custody issues.

We live on the coast near Daytona Beach, not worried too much about hurricanes, they are part of our lifestyle, but also don't want to be complacent either.

Hello CuzMomSays--welcome to Cruise Critic!

I can tell that you care very much about making this a memorable experience for your daughter. She is a very lucky young woman to have such a generous and loving Mom.

Absolutely get those passports. Once you get them, you are IDed and set to go just about everywhere. No worries!

A TA will be able to help you narrow down your choices and find the best fit for your party. Ask around, and try to find an agent with experience in booking cruises. Once you figure out what you want, a TA will be able to help make it happen for you. There could even be a few extras or some OBC thrown into the deal.

Are there any particular ports of call you'd like to visit? Is a balcony or oceanview cabin an absolute "must"? Start doing research on this site--lots of experienced cruisers, friendly people and great advice. If you're like most of us, you'll have a blast, and start planning your next cruise before the first one is done!

:D

Good luck and have fun!

1st time cruiser and my 1st time here. I am a single mom from Florida with an almost 18 yr. old daughter about to graduate high school. Her birthday/graduation request is to go on a cruise. I won't be able to schedule anything until tax return time, but I am getting as much info as I can, now.

Carnival or Royal Caribbean? Our group will consist of 2 crazy grandmas, my daughter & I. My daughter isn't a typical teen, she'd rather hang with adults than kids. We don't care for gambling or nightclubs, but a bingo game might be fun. We like a good buffet, maybe a comedy show, mostly just want to relax though. Should we book through a travel agent or straight off the cruise company website?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You've come to the right place for information. You will find a gold mine here and friendly advice from experienced cruisers.

You may want to check the websites of the cruiselines that have ships sailing from Florida (assuming that's where you are sailing round-trip.) You and your daughter might like to view their itineraries together to see which cruiseline and ports of call are of interest. Contact a TA after you have decide which cruiseline and itinerary you prefer.

Happy Sailing!

You are limiting yourself as to choices if you wish to sail the Caribbean between mid April and mid October.

A great many of the ships are repositioned for that time period and are sailing Europe, Alaska and Canada/New England.

You CAN sail RCI's Allure or Oasis as they sail 12 months from Port Everglades.

Very few ships come in FLL in the late spring/summer/early fall.

I have been on both Carnival (eight times with two more booked in 2013) and Royal Caribbean (seven times with one more booked in 2013). As far as the passenger mix goes, you will find roughly the same demographic on both cruise lines.

Typically Royal Caribbean has more space per passenger (passenger space ratio) than Carnival does, but Carnival typically costs less. I find that the food on Carnival is slightly better than the food on Royal Caribbean, however, the service on Royal Caribbean is slightly better than the service on Carnival.

Given what you have to say about yourself and your daughter, I would suggest that you also consider Princess, Celebrity and HAL. All have an older demographic than Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Princess and HAL are owned by Carnival, Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean. I have been on Princess twice but I have not been on HAL or Celebrity yet. You are likely to find HAL and Celebrity a step up from Carnival or Royal Caribbean, however, they may also cost a bit more too. Nonetheless, all three might be a better fit for you and your daughter.

Given that this is your first cruise I would highly recommend a good travel agent. The problem is finding a good one. I would suggest you interview three and pick the one that seems most interested in what you want, and not what they want. Ask about their experience cruising on the ships they are recommending and ask about their cancellation and price drop policies (a price drop is good for you, but bad for the agent as it lowers their commission). You want an agent that is looking out for your interest - not their interest.

Ask about their membership in professional organizations such as CLIA (Cruise Line International Association), NACTA (National Association of Commissioned Travel Agents), ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents), NACOA (National Association of Cruise Oriented Agencies) or is a Virtuoso Member ...

http://www.virtuoso.com/

Here are some more suggestions on finding a good travel agent ...

http://cruises.about.com/cs/cruiseplanning/a/travel_agent.htm

I have been on twenty cruises, not counting the three I have booked next year, and I use a travel agent (who is a Virtuoso Member).

Two yrs ago we went on NCL Pearl to Western Carrib. We loved it. The ship was full, and it didn't feel crowded, we loved the any time dining, and "freestyle" cruising. We especially loved the intinerary, as we got to see Central America and Mexico (Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya), as well as a stop at Key West. Its a casual line, but seemed a bit more upscale than Carnival.

You are limiting yourself as to choices if you wish to sail the Caribbean between mid April and mid October.

A great many of the ships are repositioned for that time period and are sailing Europe, Alaska and Canada/New England.

You CAN sail RCI's Allure or Oasis as they sail 12 months from Port Everglades.

Very few ships come in FLL in the late spring/summer/early fall.

Actually she said between April to June.

To Nana 541: I thought hurricane season was near the end of the year ending in November, not in the Spring.

Archived