Club dining

CRUISIN LINDA

This doesn't affect us as we have chosen freedom dining, but we have just had this email from Bolsover

I have been asked by P&O Cruises to advise you of some important information regarding your forthcoming cruise.

Your cruise operator has been listening to feedback regarding dining arrangements and recent experience on board Oceana has indicated that dining earlier in the evening enables you to enjoy the fabulous entertainment on offer. Therefore, the times of Club Dining have been amended to 6pm for first sitting and 8pm for second sitting. Freedom dining will commence as usual, at 6pm.

P&O Cruises hope that this small adjustment will enhance your dining experience and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Any thoughts on this?

This doesn't affect us as we have chosen freedom dining, but we have just had this email from Bolsover

I have been asked by P&O Cruises to advise you of some important information regarding your forthcoming cruise.

Your cruise operator has been listening to feedback regarding dining arrangements and recent experience on board Oceana has indicated that dining earlier in the evening enables you to enjoy the fabulous entertainment on offer. Therefore, the times of Club Dining have been amended to 6pm for first sitting and 8pm for second sitting. Freedom dining will commence as usual, at 6pm.

P&O Cruises hope that this small adjustment will enhance your dining experience and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Any thoughts on this?

Haven't had any letter/email yet, am on Aurora soon. Personally we would be more than happy with 8pm for 2nd sitting. We always go for that option.

Is this just for Oceana or fleetwide do you know?

Contacted my PCP and asked about this, yes for Oceana, did not know about the rest of the fleet.

I asked her to pass on my email to customer services. maybe if people who booked direct contacted their PCP and said they welcomed it...you never know they might change the time fleet wide.

Did they say if it was a trial or if it is going to be permanent? Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

It surely must be a trial, but why don't they say that? It seems very strange if its just for one crusie though? They won't be able to get good overall feedback from just one cruise. will be interesting to see if anyone else receives similar for future cruises.

If they are trialling it they might just start one ship one or two cruises to see if it goes well. If it does they can easily extend if not revert and forget about the incident. My feeling is that it is likely to be more popular and it will spread.

Regards John

I would certainly approve of 8pm second sitting but it doesn't change the fact that you can do either the show or the syndicate quiz - not both. I wish there was an early show for second sitting - it was trialled once on Artemis and I loved it - show at 7.30, dinner at 8.30, quiz at 10.30.

For over a year now the timings on Adonia for club dining (there is no freedom on Adonia) have been 6.15 and 8.15. It doesn't sound a lot earlier but we found 8.15 as opposed to 8.30 did make a difference. Wouldn't fancy 6pm I must admit but some people do like to eat early.

For over a year now the timings on Adonia for club dining (there is no freedom on Adonia) have been 6.15 and 8.15. It doesn't sound a lot earlier but we found 8.15 as opposed to 8.30 did make a difference. Wouldn't fancy 6pm I must admit but some people do like to eat early.

I think moving to 8 may change the preferences for a few people and second sitting may become the most popular as it was 5/6/7 years ago.

I think moving to 8 may change the preferences for a few people and second sitting may become the most popular as it was 5/6/7 years ago.

I agree - it could definitely change the % requesting each option as compared with the past. 6pm will be too early for some especially after port days, 8pm will perhaps be more acceptable for those who found 8.30 too late, so it will be interesting how that impacts on supply and demand.

Yes, I think we would have to re-think as 6pm really does seem like children's tea time ( as I am sure Jean will be along to say ;) ) or for the very elderly and it would make the afternoon very rushed.

I like Freedom when I am on one of my two nighters, but enjoy the camaraderie of Club Dining when on a longer cruise.

Edited by Scriv

Last night I was very brave and changed our 24 night cruise to freedom. I've been trying to decide what to do as I have an allergy but when onboard last month they said it would be fine as have people on this forum. I like the idea of choosing table size and time especially as we have lots of sea days where we might eat earlier and very busy port days in the U.S. And Canada. I have noticed first sitting is waitlisted. On our short 5 night cruise last month first sitting appeared to be the option nobody wanted with freedom dining being over subscribed.

According to P&O, the times are still 6 30 pm and 8 30pm, so it may all be a storm in a teacup or something just to try on Oceana?

I think you can make Freedom Dining work for you. We only had 2 nights as you know and said we were happy to share as we did not want to wait and wanted company. We were on a table including two very nice people and they actually looked out for us the next night to dine with us. I could imagine that if you got to know someone, you could arrange to meet at the door and go through together. We went in early when we wanted to go to a show afterwards - and went in later when we wanted a longer drawn out afternoon. The waiters were just as attentive and also get to know you, so I think you will be just fine and will be able to organise it all to suit yourselves every day.

Edited by Scriv

I would certainly approve of 8pm second sitting but it doesn't change the fact that you can do either the show or the syndicate quiz - not both. I wish there was an early show for second sitting - it was trialled once on Artemis and I loved it - show at 7.30, dinner at 8.30, quiz at 10.30.

So how does the early sitting fit into that scenario? Would they finish dinner at 8 and have to wait until 9.30 for the next show?

Last night I was very brave and changed our 24 night cruise to freedom. I've been trying to decide what to do as I have an allergy but when onboard last month they said it would be fine as have people on this forum. I like the idea of choosing table size and time especially as we have lots of sea days where we might eat earlier and very busy port days in the U.S. And Canada. I have noticed first sitting is waitlisted. On our short 5 night cruise last month first sitting appeared to be the option nobody wanted with freedom dining being over subscribed.
Well done Florry. We like Freedom dining. We often go to the buffet as we like small portions, so it is good for us.

BTW Do you like Marmite?

Agree with that Sharon, we were on P&O once when they did 3 shows so 2nd sitting close between before or after dinner and that was great - think it was Azura.