First time Cruiser...what would you tell them to bring?

Singer4Him

While DH and I have been on a few cruises, our friends who will be sailing with us next month are newbies. I've mentioned several things to them to bring, but I'm sure that you guys can help me think of more. The things that I've mentioned so far are:

• Hangers
  • Tervis tumblers w/straws
  • Post-it notes
  • Power strip
  • Copy of your passports, as well as the originals
  • Small bills for tipping porters and while in port
  • Backpack
  • Truvia packs
  • Air fresheners for the cabin/bathroom
  • Thank you cards for wait staff, cabin steward, etc.

What else should I add to the list for them?

I don't bring any of that ...except for IDS...no need! Bring LARGE denominations, easier to carry, and break them down as needed on the ship.

The cabin attendant will get you more hangers. Never have needed a power strip...we plug/unplug as needed.

Don't use Truvia...sugar is better for you...and have NEVER used a backpack!

Air fresheners? There's a vent in there!

We just say "Thank-you" in person to those who serve us!

I would tell them to bring:

1. A good attitude
  2. me

:D

What people will need varies greatly by the type of person/traveler they are. If they have a balcony, and will be around scenic areas, I'll tell them to take binoculars. If they get anxious about not knowing what time it is, maybe a small travel clock. etc...

Lanyard to hold card.

Books.

Chargers for electronics.

Medicine you use or might need.

Personal hygiene stuff--expensive on ship

If going on smaller ship over the door thingie especially if more than 2 in cabin to store lots of odds and ends. (shoe organizer)

Highlighter.

If going on excursion see if they require closed toe shoes or Behind the Fun tour --have to have closed toed shoes.

Make sure they know MDR is included. Some think it isn't.

I always suggest bringing some laundry detergent pods and dryer sheets. I usually do a couple of loads of laundry to cut down on packing needs. Plus, I hate carrying home wet bathing suits.

We do the same thing but I completely forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Lanyard to hold card.

Books.

Chargers for electronics.

Medicine you use or might need.

Personal hygiene stuff--expensive on ship

If going on smaller ship over the door thingie especially if more than 2 in cabin to store lots of odds and ends. (shoe organizer)

Highlighter.

If going on excursion see if they require closed toe shoes or Behind the Fun tour --have to have closed toed shoes.

Make sure they know MDR is included. Some think it isn't.

Thanks so much! I bring my shoe organizer even when I'm not on a smaller ship. It just seems to help keep the bathroom counter from getting cluttered.

I also bring a highlighter but forgot to mention that to them but will add it to the list.

I don't bring any of the things on your list.

I just had a conversation with my sister who is sailing with us for the first time.

The only thing I reminded her about was a card with a magnetic strip for the safe.

We did talk about a lanyard for her sign n sail card but she says she needs her small purse and won't leave without it.

Other than that money,small change, etc. is normal for any trip so that's not something just for a cruise.

We did discuss anti seasick meds and insect repellant for some of our tours but nothing special for on the ship.

We travel pretty light and I guess she and my bro in law do too!!

I agree with the poster(s) that said "good attitude" and "be flexible", things happen, the food isn't always just right, someone might not like one of the dishes served, someone might forget a towel in your cabin, kids cry and don't eat regularly, entertainment changes or isn't great, relax and enjoy the trip. None of this is worth ruining a vacation over, smile and move on, they will enjoy it! ;)

While DH and I have been on a few cruises, our friends who will be sailing with us next month are newbies. I've mentioned several things to them to bring, but I'm sure that you guys can help me think of more. The things that I've mentioned so far are:

• Hangers
  • Post-it notes
  • Power strip
  • Backpack
  • Truvia packs

Forget the hangers (steward can get you as many as you feel you need)

Forget the post-it notes (there will be a pad of paper and a pen in the cabin)

Forget the thank you notes for the staff (just tip extra if the service was really great)

• Hangers
  • Post-it notes
  • Power strip
  • Backpack
  • Truvia packs

The only thing on your list that I ALWAYS bring are my IDs - passport and drivers license.

I have NEVER brought any of the other stuff in 30 odd cruises.

Newbies generally overpack anyway, why encourage them to bring even more stuff???

Many of the items that people will list as "must haves" will often just take up space -- and weight -- in your suitcase. We have never taken a power strip, over the door storage container, duct tape, oh the list goes on.

And some other things that people bring up: instead of thank you cards, find out if your cruise line has something along the lines of "made a difference" type cards. For example, Princess has "consummate host" cards you can get from the passenger services desk. You just need the first name, country, and work station of any crew member that has exceeded your expectations. We would fill out one each for these crew members we want to reward...knowing that these are placed in their personnel folders and could help with raises and promotions. We also will get the tipping envelopes and place some cash (we ALWAYS keep on the autograts) in and give to crew members.

Don't bring little gifts for crew members -- they don't have the room in their tiny cabins -- and cash is what they prefer. Don't get cute and give out $2 bills or any currency that is problematic for them to use.