Ncl cancels calls for roatan

vols_159

Has NCL resumed doing port stops in Roatan? :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

My parents are on the dawn this week stoping at roatan tomorrow ( at least they didn't cancel prior to boarding)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:(

I have a soft spot in my heart for Roatan. It was my 1st stop on my 1st Caribbean cruise. the dancers welcomed us, and the sparkling blue water.

sad to hear of a murder :(

We started going there even before the dancers welcomed us. NCL was the first cruise line to use Roatan as a port. I am thinking it was about 1997?

The Jewel cancelled Roatan last week so we had an extra sea day. We received a written notice onboard informing everyone that a crew member from the Pearl had been murdered.

Most passengers took it in stride and seemed concerned for the crew member and family. Booked excursions were refunded along with port fees. Others were annoyed and wanted compensation.

The Jewel cancelled Roatan last week so we had an extra sea day. We received a written notice onboard informing everyone that a crew member from the Pearl had been murdered.

Most passengers took it in stride and seemed concerned for the crew member and family. Booked excursions were refunded along with port fees. Others were annoyed and wanted compensation.

I had the unfortunate experience while in Costa Maya on Friday of having to listen to some ******* drone on about how a NCL crew member getting killed shouldn't have kept him from stopping at Roatan.

Of course it was no surprise then to see the same gentleman and his brood of about 8 cutting the walk off line in the atrium on Sunday morning. :rolleyes:

Edited by dasmonkey

We missed Roatan last Tuesday on the Dawn.

Sucked to have another sea day, but alot of inexperienced cruisers seemed happy to skip the port, even though a couple of experienced cruisers I spoke with Tuesday and Wednesday, felt it was an overeaction on NCL's part.

Didn't see or hear too many people on the Dawn upset about the skip. (passed one guy raising his voice at the excursion desk. That was about it)

Bill

I had the unfortunate experience while in Costa Maya on Friday of having to listen to some ******* drone on about how a NCL crew member getting killed shouldn't have kept him from stopping at Roatan.

Of course it was no surprise then to see the same gentleman and his brood of about 8 cutting the walk off line in the atrium on Sunday morning. :rolleyes:

People are murdered every day all over the world. The Pearl death was sad but thousands of people on each cruise ship paid for and expected to stop in Roatan. I believe the proper action NCL should have taken would be to warn EVERY passenger about the incident, strongly advise the passengers to stay on board, docked, then given each passenger the choice to go ashore or not.

Did you tell him it was unfortunate that it hadn't been him, or did you show more tact than I would have?

People are murdered every day all over the world. The Pearl death was sad but thousands of people on each cruise ship paid for and expected to stop in Roatan. I believe the proper action NCL should have taken would be to warn EVERY passenger about the incident, strongly advise the passengers to stay on board, docked, then given each passenger the choice to go ashore or not.

And unfortunately, if they did that, and something happened to a passenger, guess who is going to be sued???? :rolleyes: That's the way of the world these days, sadly.....people don't take responsibility for their own actions and want to blame someone else for the consequences.

Did you tell him it was unfortunate that it hadn't been him, or did you show more tact than I would have?

I didn't feel like having my beach day ruined and stayed out of it. People like this will eventually get theirs. The line cutting stunt he pulled in the lobby will eventually get him cold cocked.

And unfortunately, if they did that, and something happened to a passenger, guess who is going to be sued???? :rolleyes: That's the way of the world these days, sadly.....people don't take responsibility for their own actions and want to blame someone else for the consequences.

Exactly this! The very same people that say they should toss a blanket over the body and warn passengers would be the first in line to call their ambulance chasing lawyer to sue when one of their family members gets popped in the head over a cell phone.

I wish they would just schedule an extra day in Costa Maya or Belize. They could just do an overnight and stay at one of the ports for 2 days. It would save on fuel costs, and most people would appreciate the effort. An extra day in Coz would probably be hard to pull off, due to the amount of ships in port almost everyday, but some of the lesser populate ports would probably love to accommodate them for an extra day. Sea days offer the ship more opportunities to make money from the passengers, but many people choose certain cruises because of the number of port days.

They may not be able to do that on every cruise that has a dropped Roatan, but I would think they could do some of them.

I know that I cruise on NCL primarily because they offer a lot of 4 port cruises on a 7 day cruise, (especially the ones out of New Orleans), but if this starts to become a trend, then I will start considering other cruise lines.

I understand that they wanted to make a statement due to the rising violence on Roatan, but they have alternatives to just remaining at sea that day.

I am booked into this itinerary on the Sun in November. I love NCL and am looking forward to sailing on the Sun as I have heard so many good things about it. However I am NOT going to get off the ship in Roatan. I understand that there are many dangerous places in the world and that one always needs to be on their guard, but I am not paying good money to keep looking over my shoulder all the time either. There are limits. I think if enough passengers decide to forego the excursions off the ship, that the line will decide another port of call is preferable. I understand that NCL is already working on another private island of its own in Belize which will undoubtably be safer because of the elimination of undesirable elements that tend to invade tourist areas. I would not be surprised if this becomes more and more common in this part of the world. It's unfortunate, but it also seems inevitable. :(

I'm pretty sure that if the ship skips the port, the cruise line doesn't pay the port charges. If you stop there and nobody gets off, the port charges are still paid. So not stopping at all hurts the port - which might incent them to actually improve security.

If you are a tourist-based economy, the only way to damage your business is to not protect the tourists, and have them stay away.

I hope they get straightened out by next February. We are booked and cannot cancel and this is our favorite zip line. It was hard enough giving up the Dawn and to lose Roatan would be the final blow.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

FWIW, my sister and BIL left Sunday on the Jewel, so I've been following this issue. They were told the ship will be stopping at Roatan and booked a shore excursion when they boarded the ship. (They chose the Maya Key Private Island Retreat). She had been unable to book it online this past week.

I've read the murderer was apprehended; perhaps that is why NCL has changed their stance in the past week?

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/04/articles/crime/honduran-police-arrest-bay-islands-resident-in-murder-of-ncl-crew-member/

You can sue anyone anytime for anything, does not mean you will win. In your example a passenger who has been warned about the port could not win under any circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that if the ship skips the port, the cruise line doesn't pay the port charges. If you stop there and nobody gets off, the port charges are still paid. So not stopping at all hurts the port - which might incent them to actually improve security.

If you are a tourist-based economy, the only way to damage your business is to not protect the tourists, and have them stay away.

But NCL made the decision to 'teach them a lesson', not the passengers who paid good money to stop there. Paying passengers had their choice taken from them.