Can anyone explain Labadee, Haiti?

Gingee

Okay one of our stops is Labadee (sp?) Haiti. Private island or private resort? Does Royal own a resort there or is it really Haiti? Can you go beyond the resort?

It is a peninsula of Haiti and you can't leave.

Labadee is owned by Royal. As far as I know, only Royal and Celebrity ships stop there. There is a dock, so no need to tender. It is not an actual island, but more of a peninsula that is part of Haiti but no locals except those that work there or sell goods are permitted on property. You cannot leave the property.

We were there last summer on the Freedom of the Seas. We thought it was really scenic and there was plenty to do. There are a few different beaches you can choose. You can walk to them or take a shuttle. There is a zipline excursion and a "coaster". The ship sets up a BBQ lunch in a few locations. There is some shopping as well. I think there are a few other "excursion" options, like jet skis, but they should be on the Royal website with details.

Our favorite was a walk on a path along the shore to Dragon's Point. Its beautiful and takes you out to a point over the water where the water crashing through the rocks sounds like a "dragon breathing". Its a beautiful walk with lots of photo opportunities if you enjoy that type of thing. We loved Labadee and can't wait to go back. Hope you enjoy your cruise:)

Mostly free. The zipline, coaster, and jet skis are not free. Lunch is free, but not alcohol, unless you have a beverage package on the ship, I believe. There are cabanas you can rent for the day that come with a butler but I think suite guests get preference to book these and everyone else can book on the ship if available.

So is everything free on this stop (things to do)?

Of course not. Think of it as an extension of the ship. Food, water, tea, and lemonade are provided. The beach, and beach chairs, are free. Everything else is either an excursion or a bar charge. There's also a local market that's cash, or now maybe also credit cards. There's a fee for the zip line, you can rent floating maps or snorkel gear, there are various water sport items such as jet skis for rent, and there are excursions such as off shore snorkeling or parasailing for a fee.

Thanks I bet you can buy stuff that says "Haiti":)

You can buy LOTS of stuff there. You will read a lot on here about the vendors and walking through their area. They are very aggressive. It bothers many people. We were curious and did go there. I actually bought my kids some beautiful shells. They get pushy and try to sell you more and the prices start out kind of outrageous . My feeling is, I'm supporting the locals. They are indeed pushy but I did not let that bother me and offered what I thought was a more reasonable price and that was it. Maybe being from NY helps:D lol. But there is an indoor shop that you can go to if you don't feel like dealing with the vendors outside. No pressure in there.

Labadee used to be such a lovely, quiet beach spot. Little besides chairs, umbrellas, a buffet, and a small craft market...that was years ago, when you could lounge on a quiet beach and maybe walk along the coast. They had the zipline, but that was about it, and you had to go to the other side to see it.

Now, it's like Disneyland Haiti. Aside from the zipline, they have waterslides, a coaster, an inflatable water park, jet skis, tram, signage everywhere, cabanas built on the water line, one of the best beaches cordoned off for suite guests...blech. In other words, they figured out how to make a lot more $$$, which in turn ruined the quiet, tropical atmosphere. There is now no quiet, secluded spot on the entire peninsula.

Labadee used to be such a lovely, quiet beach spot. Little besides chairs, umbrellas, a buffet, and a small craft market...that was years ago, when you could lounge on a quiet beach and maybe walk along the coast. They had the zipline, but that was about it, and you had to go to the other side to see it.

Now, it's like Disneyland Haiti. Aside from the zipline, they have waterslides, a coaster, an inflatable water park, jet skis, tram, signage everywhere, cabanas built on the water line, one of the best beaches cordoned off for suite guests...blech. In other words, they figured out how to make a lot more $$$, which in turn ruined the quiet, tropical atmosphere. There is now no quiet, secluded spot on the entire peninsula.

I completely agree, and remember how "castaway quiet" it was even before the zipline! Used to be 1 ship, tendered in, and nothing but sand, surf, and a Labadoozie in your hand!:D

There is now no quiet, secluded spot on the entire peninsula.

Sure there is. We always find lounge chairs, in the shade, in a quieter location. Just don't go where the crowds go and there's always quiet and shade. Labadee is still enjoyable without spending one cent.

Sure there is. We always find lounge chairs, in the shade, in a quieter location. Just don't go where the crowds go and there's always quiet and shade. Labadee is still enjoyable without spending one cent.

I agree, we are going to Labadee for the 6th time and love it love it...

Awesome.

Relaxing place.

Love it.

Were newbies to cruising (2 previous), but not to traveling. I was very disappointed with Labadee. I love to visit far and away places devoid of all the touristy things. Labadee is something Royal Caribbean built for their passengers. Reminded me so much of Disneyland. We wanted to see the true Haiti and not some mere fabrication!

I understand there is quite a behind the scenes story on exactly how Labadee was negotiated, with the Haitians. Something to do with shared responsibilities-resources, in exchange for a piece of the profits.

I love to visit far and away places devoid of all the touristy things.

I love cruising, and I love visiting out of the way places, but the two are usually mutually exclusive. When you bring a shipload of tourists (or sometimes several shiploads at a time) to any area, it always changes.

Having said that, I love Labadee. It's very different than it was many years ago, but I still love it. We find a quieter location, park ourselves in the shade, and enjoy a relaxing beach day.

Edited by mspink98

Were newbies to cruising (2 previous), but not to traveling. I was very disappointed with Labadee. I love to visit far and away places devoid of all the touristy things. Labadee is something Royal Caribbean built for their passengers. Reminded me so much of Disneyland. We wanted to see the true Haiti and not some mere fabrication!

I understand there is quite a behind the scenes story on exactly how Labadee was negotiated, with the Haitians. Something to do with shared responsibilities-resources, in exchange for a piece of the profits.

If you want to see the "true" Haiti, you will have to fly there on your own. No cruise line is going to take responsibility for your safety in a country that can be very volatile at times. Note the armed guards making sure no unauthorized people get into Labadee

If you want to see the "true" Haiti, you will have to fly there on your own. No cruise line is going to take responsibility for your safety in a country that can be very volatile at times. Note the armed guards making sure no unauthorized people get into Labadee

As well as making sure that no unauthorized people get out of Labadee.

They built things because that is what the people wanted. They could double the cabanas and still have a wait list. Tendering doesn't work all the time, never on the big ships and never for people with mobility issues, so they built a pier. I have never been to the market and likely never will.

Bottom line, Labadee is what you make of it, relax, have a cold one and enjoy the day

Edited by John&LaLa

image.jpg1_zpsbpn1cm3p.jpg

Thanks for posting the map. We will be visiting Labadee for the first time this November. I heard that to find quiet take the shuttle to the last stop. However your map show two directions you could go when you get off the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which has the most quiet and shade? Thanks.

Thanks for posting this question.

Do you have to reserve ahead of time or can you get off the cruise and go on a shuttle without much planning and reservations? It's hard to figure this out bc RCI doesn't have a lot of info on their site. Looking for beach, relaxation, cabana/umbrella...if possible. Food, drinks, relaxation. No rides or anything.

Thanks for posting the map. We will be visiting Labadee for the first time this November. I heard that to find quiet take the shuttle to the last stop. However your map show two directions you could go when you get off the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which has the most quiet and shade? Thanks.

We have found nice quiet shady places at Columbus Cove.

So is everything free on this stop (things to do)?

No, not everything is free. The beach and the buffet are free.

Labadee is a peninsular on the north coast of Haiti, closed off to the public of Haiti, (very safe) that has a dock, (no tendering), plenty of beach space, a free buffet area, and an area to shop.

Other things to do, RCL has built an aqua park, a zip line, and a roller coaster for younger cruisers. Also offered are water jet craft, and kayaking.

One of RCL's best port stops!

Mostly free. The zipline, coaster, and jet skis are not free. Lunch is free, but not alcohol, unless you have a beverage package on the ship, I believe. There are cabanas you can rent for the day that come with a butler but I think suite guests get preference to book these and everyone else can book on the ship if available.
Mostly NOT free.....:D