Mexico Earthquake

pamrose228

This morning a devastating earthquake hit southern Mexico. 8.1 on richter. Hundreds are presumed dead. Worse earthquake in Mexico in 100 years.

Mexico will be in no condition to aid during Irma. Ports including Cozumel will not be tendered to.

Where else can the ships go for safe waters

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is way too early to conclude that Cozumel will be closed. The earthquake was in Pijijiapan, over 1000 km SW of Cancun.

It's more about the Mexican government using all their resources. They will devote manpower to their own countries issues. What are the odds of two major natural disasters in the southern part of the same continent happening within 48 hours of each other?

It's more about the Mexican government using all their resources. They will devote manpower to their own countries issues. What are the odds of two major natural disasters in the southern part of the same continent happening within 48 hours of each other?

You think they will close the port of Cozumel because of an earthquake on the other side of the country? Thats not going to happen....not sure what your point here is.

You think they will close the port of Cozumel because of an earthquake on the other side of the country? Thats not going to happen....not sure what your point here is.

There will be a very real shortage of military and police for the rest of the country. What Mexican agency will take over. This earthquake was big. I have seen news reports of the devastation. After shocks were felt on the Caribbean side.

:rolleyes:

Houston and Galveston just got hammered in the US.

South Florida and the lower part of the Eastern seaboard is about to get hammered.

Port of LA, Port of SF, Port of Seattle, Port of Chicago, Port of NO, Port of Mobile, etc. have not been shut down.

Why would you think Cancun or Cozumel would be affected?

There will be a very real shortage of military and police for the rest of the country. What Mexican agency will take over. This earthquake was big. I have seen news reports of the devastation. After shocks were felt on the Caribbean side.

You think the police are going to move 700 miles to another state on the other side of the country? Your argument is like saying the port of NYC is going to shut down because all the resources are going to be sent to FL to help with Irma. Never going to happen.

:rolleyes:

Houston and Galveston just got hammered in the US.

South Florida and the lower part of the Eastern seaboard is about to get hammered.

Port of LA, Port of SF, Port of Seattle, Port of Chicago, Port of NO, Port of Mobile, etc. have not been shut down.

Why would you think Cancun or Cozumel would be affected?

The ships will not be in port in the US. What if another big aftershock happens.

There are many uniforms in Cozumel. Perhaps they need to help with earthquake issues so who will be policing the ports? Will be a haven for thieves.

I just know if I was running from a cat 4 hurricane I would want to be in a more stable environment.

Paranoid much? Your arguments make absolutely no sense. Cozumel and its services will not be affected by an earthquake in the PACIFIC Ocean off southwest Mexico . Nor will it have any impact from IRMA, except for the cruisers and tourists who will remain there safely while waiting for Irma to pass by the Florida air and sea ports.

If I were on a cruise ship this week and my ship was diverted to Cozumel for an extended stay, I'd be delighted.

This morning a devastating earthquake hit southern Mexico. 8.1 on richter. Hundreds are presumed dead. Worse earthquake in Mexico in 100 years.

Mexico will be in no condition to aid during Irma. Ports including Cozumel will not be tendered to.

It seems you have taken one horrific earthquake in Mexico plus one horrific hurricane in the southeastern US, added them together to arrive at some arbitrary number such as 813.

There is no logical basis for coming to the conclusion that Cozumel is unsafe.

I live one island over from Cozumel on isla mujeres. We did not feel anything from the earthquake on the other side of the country. You have to remember the tourist $$$ that is generated in Cozumel and the government is not going to let that be affected.

We are on the Miracle to Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV embaking next weekend. Puerto Vallarta, the closest port to the earthquake, is reportedly not impacted: https://www.vallartadaily.com/news/puerto-vallarta/puerto-vallarta-earthquake-mexico/

Mexico is a large county of 127 million people. They have a very large military and a large federal government. Even with the earthquake and Hurricane Katia any aid or rescue efforts are not going to affect security operations in tourist areas. Local police from tourist areas are not going to be deployed to other parts of the country.

Since Cozumel is no where near the earthquake zone and brings in a lot of tourism money, the Mexican government will do everything to ensure the cruise industry continues.

Our upcoming cruise through the Panama Canal goes to Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco and Puerto Chiapas Mexico. Does anyone know about damage to those ports. With all the emphasis on the hurricane here I can find very little reporting on the earthquake affected areas.

We are also leaving soon on a cruise with stops in Huatulco and Puerto Chiapas in Mexico and Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala. Any information on damage to those locations would be helpful. Thank you and pray for the people in those areas <3

• 2 weeks later...