Emotional Support Animals

johhnnyt

Was glad to see this. I'm sure there are people with genuine needs, but the last few years its been getting out of hand with people just bringing pets onboard, since nowadays you can get any pet a certificate making them an "emotional support animal" for $60. It's just not fair to the other passengers onboard

There should be room for exceptions though for people with genuine documented issues. Another case of people exploiting the open definitions for convenience, not need.

I agree with airlines (and hopefully cruiseships will follow)

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/emotional-support-animals-might-be-getting-kicked-off-flights-thanks-to-snakes-and-llamas-215404101.html

Was glad to see this. I'm sure there are people with genuine needs, but the last few years its been getting out of hand with people just bringing pets onboard, since nowadays you can get any pet a certificate making them an "emotional support animal" for $60. It's just not fair to the other passengers onboard

There should be room for exceptions though for people with genuine documented issues. Another case of people exploiting the open definitions for convenience, not need.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/emotional-support-animals-might-be-getting-kicked-off-flights-thanks-to-snakes-and-llamas-215404101.html

Here is an excellent thread which has examples of abuse and also discusses the law and its ramifications.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031702&highlight=service+dogs

Emotional Support dogs are not considered Service dogs.

Here is an excellent thread which has examples of abuse and also discusses the law and its ramifications.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031702&highlight=service+dogs

Thanks

I do hope they tighten up the rules a bit. I was on a flight a few months back where someone with a emotional support pet was giving a kid two rows back some serious reaction to the dogs hair , I felt so bad for the kid.

I wish I could bring my dogs on flights, but in a closed environment of an aircraft, or a limited area on a ship, it should only be allowed if medically necessary

Thanks

I do hope they tighten up the rules a bit. I was on a flight a few months back where someone with a emotional support pet was giving a kid two rows back some serious reaction to the dogs hair , I felt so bad for the kid.

I wish I could bring my dogs on flights, but in a closed environment of an aircraft, or a limited area on a ship, it should only be allowed if medically necessary

Below is a short synopsis of the law under the ADA which the cruise lines follow. It actually covers the situation you mentioned and guess what, the kid loses according to the Federal Law.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Below is a short synopsis of the law under the ADA which the cruise lines follow. It actually covers the situation you mentioned and guess what, the kid loses according to the Federal Law.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

No, emotional support animals are clearly NOT included. " Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

No, emotional support animals are clearly NOT included. " Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

I stated that in post two, I was referring to the section of the ADA concerning allergies and fear of dogs.

The animals don't bother me as much as the owners that abuse the system. I think it is despicable frankly! I get they love their pet. But money says these very same people park in handicap parking places and feel entitled.

These service dogs have a very real purpose for very real needs and shame on people that abuse that!

I do volunteer work at a National Conservation Center. You would be amazed at how many people own Emotional Service Chihuahuas. I am going to get an emotional support lion and train to eat Emotional Service Chihuahuas. The support that it will give me is to see the chihuahuas eaten in one gulp.

DON

My daughter has an "emotional support" Pit Bull. It was the only way she could have a dog at her apartment complex. The complex was "dog-free" - but I saw many dogs every time I visited. Apparently, it has become a way to beat the system.

I think it's ridiculous! She's the most emotionally stable person I've ever met! But no apartments would take pit bulls, so I understand why she did. Still...

(BTW, all you need to qualify is a letter from a Dr. and a small fee.)

My daughter has an "emotional support" Pit Bull. It was the only way she could have a dog at her apartment complex. The complex was "dog-free" - but I saw many dogs every time I visited. Apparently, it has become a way to beat the system.

I think it's ridiculous! She's the most emotionally stable person I've ever met! But no apartments would take pit bulls, so I understand why she did. Still...

(BTW, all you need to qualify is a letter from a Dr. and a small fee.)

Apparently the apartment complex owner does not know the law or chose not to enforce it.. Emotional Support dogs do not qualify under the ADA law, you don't even need a letter from the Doctor. The letters and fee are for any of a number of companies out to make money with no legal standing.

Apparently the apartment complex owner does not know the law or chose not to enforce it.. Emotional Support dogs do not qualify under the ADA law, you don't even need a letter from the Doctor. The letters and fee are for any of a number of companies out to make money with no legal standing.

Though ADA does not recognize Comfort and Emotional Dogs as service aninmals this definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the USA Federal Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

Some State and local laws define a service animal more broadly than the ADA does. Information about such laws can be obtained from the State attorney general’s office.

Therefore the apartment complex was not in violation of ADA as being public housing entity it was required to allow the Emotional Support Dog per the USA Federal Fair Housing Act.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If someone brings their so called Emotional Support dog (rolling eyes) on a Cruise are they allowed to take it off the ship at the different ports?

Each country has it's own requirements but in general a there's a lot of extensive paperwork that must be completed and filed by the individual in order to remove the dog from the ship.

Actually this is not true. The airlines require documentation from a medical doctor that the animal is needed as 'emotional support' before they will allow the animal to be brought on board. In the case of Southwest, a dog or cat that fits into a carrier underneath the seat in front of the owner is allowed on board for $200 RT, no dr letter needed as they are not flying free as a service or emotional support animal. The pet and carrier must be reviewed by the airline to ensure the size of the pet and carrier meet their rules. So if someone is allergic, they best call the airlines ahead and find out if any pets are going to be on-board their flight. A reservation is required as only 5 pets per flight is allowed.

The media as usual is not stating all facts clearly and choose to show the extremes like pigs, turtles, etc. for the attention of the story.

Anyone that doesn't need an emotional support animal doesn't get it. Like all other rules, there those that abuse. There is no way to get around those people and the truly needy should not be penalized because they choose to take the rules to self-serving levels.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Actually this is not true. The airlines require documentation from a medical doctor that the animal is needed as 'emotional support' before they will allow the animal to be brought on board. In the case of Southwest, a dog or cat that fits into a carrier underneath the seat in front of the owner is allowed on board for $200 RT, no dr letter needed as they are not flying free as a service or emotional support animal. The pet and carrier must be reviewed by the airline to ensure the size of the pet and carrier meet their rules. So if someone is allergic, they best call the airlines ahead and find out if any pets are going to be on-board their flight. A reservation is required as only 5 pets per flight is allowed.

The media as usual is not stating all facts clearly and choose to show the extremes like pigs, turtles, etc. for the attention of the story.

Anyone that doesn't need an emotional support animal doesn't get it. Like all other rules, there those that abuse. There is no way to get around those people and the truly needy should not be penalized because they choose to take the rules to self-serving levels.

FYI animals on aircrafts are not restricted to service and or emotional support animals. If fact most US Air Carriers allow domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and household birds (excluding cockatoos) to travel accompanied in the ai cabin on most flights within the U.S. An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a a service charge each way.

A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times. With the exception of birds, there may only be one pet per kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. Most air carriers allow two birds to travel in the same kennel.

Additionally though ADA does not recognize Emotional and or Comfort Dogs as Services Animals it really doesn't matter when it comes to USA Airlines. Most people aren't aware that USA Airlines are regulated by the The Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (ACAA). ACAA acknowledges Emotional Support Dogs provided they have the necessary documents from a Medical Professional showing that it was medically prescribed.

Hi All,

I have no opinion on animals on cruises as I have never seen one.

One question that I have wondered about is - do animals that are brought on ship need any form of health certification?

Pete

Yes. There's a lot of paperwork required to bring a service or emotional support dog. on board The paperwork and documentation varies from Port of Call to Port of Call if the individual is planning to take the dog off the ship. Anyone who falsely claims that their pet is an emotional support or service dog really must want that dog along as can't believe anyone would go through all the time and effort to complete /obtain all the paperwork /documentation if it was not a legitimate service dog.. but people do unbelievable things .

Was recently on a cruise that a passenger had gone off the ship with their legitimate service dog and had submitted all the necessary documentation to the cruise line prior to the cruise within the required time period. The cruise line than in turn must submit that paperwork to the local authorities so that the dog could exit the ship at that port of call. The paperwork was logged into the ships security and the dog was allowed to exit the ship. However a customs agent came back on board to speak with the a high ranking officer as the cruise lines failed to submit the paperwork to the local custom authorities prior to docking. The service dog was not permitted to leave the dock area until the all the documentation was sorted out.

Edited by xxoocruiser